2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say... things could be worse than having Derrick Rose + a bunch of cap space next offseason if you swing for Howard, get him, and then he leaves. You add his cap space and a presumed Hedo amnesty, and you're looking at tons of flexibility.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
Don't underestimate the difficulty of pulling it off with a team that has less than 2 months to Gel, with a key guy stuck into a totally new system, and presumably with a substantial loss of depth (which next offseason can be replenished with exemption guys).

I think this fact should not be overlooked. If current trends continue, you'd see a lot of pretty serviceable, if not really good, role players sign for less than they could elsewhere just to play with Rose and Howard (see: Battier, Shane). If we did complete a trade for Howard, I think we'd end up hurting our chances this year for improved prospects for the next 5 years.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
Based on the fact that it cant be a "sign & trade" Orlando has very little room to leverage Hedo in the deal.

If they have other suitors who could absorb that deal, it could give them a lot of leverage.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
If they have other suitors who could absorb that deal, it could give them a lot of leverage.

Honestly though most teams cant offer the package the Bulls could though. The Nets have Brook Lopez and thats pretty much it, the Knicks have Chandler/Amare package which if I were the Magic wouldn't want at all, the Mavericks have nobody they could trade, and the Clippers only have Deandre Jordan.

The Lakers refusal to include Pau pretty much makes the Bulls have the best package to offer.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
It depends on what they want, do you want more talent or do you want more cap space. Im not Orlando, but personally Id want more talent because I can always deal with getting rid of cap.

This is very backwards. Cap space in the NBA is a b****. Would I rather get some talent back that ensures I dive right into NBA hell (see an Orlando team without Howard but with Noah and other pieces from the Bulls and the rest of their trash), or do I want to clear cap space, suck balls, and prepare for a high draft pick with cash to burn?

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
Definitely. I'm just saying that while being named a Euroleague MVP is very good and nice, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll transfer that same ability to the NBA game. Maybe he'll be great, sure, but if you have to include him in a Dwight Howard deal, you'd be borderline psychotic to refuse to include Nikola Mirotic because of something he might do three years down the line. Not that you necessarily believe they shouldn't trade Mirotic in a potential Howard deal, but still.

I'm not new to international basketball, I know that not every player comes and pans out. And I never insinuated that he'd have the same ability at all. I simply saw his name pop up and figured I'd give people an update, since there was so much talk about him around the time of the draft.

And ya, if he is needed to get a deal for Howard done, go to f***ing town. He's got the potential of an Andrea Bargnani in the future, but there are no guarantees. I'd have absolutely no qualms about dealing him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
No the argument is whether the Magic are smarter to amnesty Hedo or trade Hedo and potentially get back less talent but free up space without using amnesty.

Except they used that amnesty on Arenas...

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
I'm not new to international basketball, I know that not every player comes and pans out. And I never insinuated that he'd have the same ability at all. I simply saw his name pop up and figured I'd give people an update, since there was so much talk about him around the time of the draft.

And ya, if he is needed to get a deal for Howard done, go to f***ing town. He's got the potential of an Andrea Bargnani in the future, but there are no guarantees. I'd have absolutely no qualms about dealing him.

My apologies, I read something more into your initial post, which clearly wasn't the case.

There is no player on the Bulls that they should balk at trading if it means getting Dwight Howard. Obviously there are some deals that would be too steep a price, but Noah + Deng + Mirotic + Bobcat's 1st is nowhere near too much for the second most physically dominant young player in the game.

Edited by Felix

My apologies, I read something more into your initial post, which clearly wasn't the case.

There is no player on the Bulls that they should balk at trading if it means getting Dwight Howard. Obviously there are some deals that would be too steep a price, but Noah + Deng + Mirotic + Bobcat's 1st is nowhere near too much for the second most physically dominant young player in the game.

I can think of 1 guy.