2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
How so? They got the ball and Chalmers shot 2 free throws as a result.

Well it worked out for them but the play itself in which the refs blew the whistle screwed Miami, wade saved the ball back to one of his teammates(forgot who it was) who would have had a layup or brought the ball back out to kill more clock.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is saying Dwight is Shaq?

The difference is that when Mourning played, Shaq existed. If Mourning started today, who knows how successful the team would be. There just arent that many true centers anymore. I mean up until last year, Howard lead the league in rebounds 5 years. He plays in a different time, no Olajuwons, no Robinsons, etc.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
FWIW, Mirotic has stepped up a lot this season. People think he's a lot closer to the NBA than he was at the time of the draft. He's now starting at PF for Real Madrid and won Euroleague MVP last month.

They still have to work out contracts and all that s*** don't they?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
FWIW, Mirotic has stepped up a lot this season. People think he's a lot closer to the NBA than he was at the time of the draft. He's now starting at PF for Real Madrid and won Euroleague MVP last month.

Nikola Pekovic was a stud in Europe too. It's a completely different game.

Also if you have a chance to trade for Dwight Howard, you do it. To say otherwise is just being silly.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
Nikola Pekovic was a stud in Europe too. It's a completely different game.

Also if you have a chance to trade for Dwight Howard, you do it. To say otherwise is just being silly.

Pekovic is an entirely different kind of player.

Unsurprisingly, this thread took off...

Come on guys, the Magic would want Deng + Noah +, but now Deng is injured and they'd likely be a tad batty to take him (except they could perhaps shut him down and let him heal and at least they'd no long have Hedo).

There's so many scenarios that need to be put into player here. The biggest, of course, is Dwight's willingness to re-sign in Chicago. Nowhere in that quote about "God wanting" bulls*** does it say anything about "God wanting me to re-sign".

IE - if I get traded I get traded. Nowhere in there does Dwight say, "I would re-sign in Chicago if the Bulls traded for me."

This really isn't news, and f*** Dwight Howard.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
"Open to a trade" is code for that.

I don't know that it is. On M&H they said Vaughn McClure asked him if he would sign an extension and he was non-commital. Of course, none of that is in any article so who knows.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
It is all immaterial, because they Bulls don't make the deal without Howard extending.

Let's be clear though...the Bulls actually CANNOT extend Howard immediately, based on what I think is the correct understanding of the new CBA. They have to wait until he becomes a Free Agent, then they can extend him and offer him more than other teams can...but they can't trade for him then immediately extend him as the Knicks did with Anthony last year.

That's why him indicating a willingness to sign an extension in the future is so important...he can still change his mind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Let's be clear though...the Bulls actually CANNOT extend Howard immediately, based on what I think is the correct understanding of the new CBA. They have to wait until he becomes a Free Agent, then they can extend him and offer him more than other teams can...but they can't trade for him then immediately extend him as the Knicks did with Anthony last year.

That's why him indicating a willingness to sign an extension in the future is so important...he can still change his mind.

That is pretty contradictory.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
That is pretty contradictory.

Yes. That's exactly the design of the new CBA.

If he's noncommittal now, or leaves himself any out door, he can take that out door. He could also just decide to change his mind later...but if you can't get him to say "Yes, I' will sign an extension", then you're trading for him with the expectation that he's leaving.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
Unsurprisingly, this thread took off...

Come on guys, the Magic would want Deng + Noah +, but now Deng is injured and they'd likely be a tad batty to take him (except they could perhaps shut him down and let him heal and at least they'd no long have Hedo).

There's so many scenarios that need to be put into player here. The biggest, of course, is Dwight's willingness to re-sign in Chicago. Nowhere in that quote about "God wanting" bulls*** does it say anything about "God wanting me to re-sign".

IE - if I get traded I get traded. Nowhere in there does Dwight say, "I would re-sign in Chicago if the Bulls traded for me."

This really isn't news, and f*** Dwight Howard.

Meh, that's just his way of at least "trying" to be PC about it. Obviously the trade doesn't happen if he doesn't resign in Chicago, I don't see the point in harping on that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Yes. That's exactly the design of the new CBA.

If he's noncommittal now, or leaves himself any out door, he can take that out door. He could also just decide to change his mind later...but if you can't get him to say "Yes, I' will sign an extension", then you're trading for him with the expectation that he's leaving.

So in other words, it doesn't matter what he said now.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Pekovic is an entirely different kind of player.

Definitely. I'm just saying that while being named a Euroleague MVP is very good and nice, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll transfer that same ability to the NBA game. Maybe he'll be great, sure, but if you have to include him in a Dwight Howard deal, you'd be borderline psychotic to refuse to include Nikola Mirotic because of something he might do three years down the line. Not that you necessarily believe they shouldn't trade Mirotic in a potential Howard deal, but still.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
So in other words, it doesn't matter what he said now.

Either way, you've got to understand that there's a way for him to leave immediately after the trade, but if he's noncommittal, then you simply cannot do the deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
Either way, you've got to understand that there's a way for him to leave immediately after the trade, but if he's noncommittal, then you simply cannot do the deal.

If he is committal, do you trust him? The dude has been willing and unwilling to play for some of the same teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
If he is committal, do you trust him? The dude has been willing and unwilling to play for some of the same teams.

If he clearly states that yes, he will sign an extension with the Bulls if traded to them (as he did for the Mavs, Clippers, Lakers, and Netropolitans I believe), then yes, I'd go ahead and trust him...but Forman ought to make sure to hear it in person...because if he changed his mind, that should end any GM's employment.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
If the Bulls won the Championship this year and Howard left, I dont think theyd fire Forman.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of pulling it off with a team that has less than 2 months to Gel, with a key guy stuck into a totally new system, and presumably with a substantial loss of depth (which next offseason can be replenished with exemption guys).