Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lord chas @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
Looking to buy my first big boy suit for job interviews/weddings. Any advice on what to look for or avoid?

First suit? I would go with a deep charcoal gray, side vent, 2-button.

Charcoal is flexible in many situations and 2-button will never go out of style. Single- or side-vent is really up to you (single-vent is pretty normal).

QUOTE (lord chas @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:22 PM)
Looking to buy my first big boy suit for job interviews/weddings. Any advice on what to look for or avoid?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)
First suit? I would go with a deep charcoal gray, side vent, 2-button.

Charcoal is flexible in many situations and 2-button will never go out of style. Single- or side-vent is really up to you (single-vent is pretty normal).

Definitely go solid for your first suit. Agreed, either a dark grey or black. 2-button, double/side vent is the go-to. I do not own, and never will own, a center single vent suit coat. I'd also avoid the wide peak lapel. If you go peak, make it subtle. For my first suit, I'd do basic notch lapel.

All this aside, even more important than the number of buttons or vents, is that the suit FITS PROPERLY. The sleeves need to be the correct length, the blazer needs to be snug but not tight, the shoulders need to actually be at your shoulders, etc.

And fwiw, interview suits and wedding suits are two totally different monsters.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
I plan on winning the Mega Millions tonight. What's everybody want?

Looks like you didnt win. Jackpot is now at over $470 million.

This is a blog post I did about a year ago:

Tonight’s Mega-Millions jackpot is projected to be worth $312 million dollars. That’s a STAGGERING amount of money, and it got me thinking: What would I do with $312 million if I won? I would take the 26 year payout of the full amount, not the $198 million lump sum. Here’s break down of how i’d spend it….

• Pay “Uncle Sam” and the IRS (about $109,200,000)
  • Pay the state of Illinois (about $15,600,000)
  • 15% to church and charity ($46,800,000)
  • Pay off all of the houses in our immediate family (about $500,000) - brothers, sisters, parents, and grandparents only
  • $200,000 Annuity for Each Niece and Nephew as well as my two girls ($2,000,000)
  • Land and House in central Florida ($3,000,000) - 20+ acres, Main house, plus 1 or 2 guest houses
  • House Boat ($300,000)
  • RV ($750,000)

After all of that, there would be $133,850,000 left over. That’s $100,000 of “spending money” for traveling, food, taxes, and other expenditures for the next 1,338.5 years!. Or, $1 million per year for the next 133.85 years. Either way, I’m pretty sure it would be safe to say we could retire comfortably.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)

Never take the annual payout. If you die before it ends, it ends, and your family doesn't get the rest.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)

I forgot to play yesterday. 470 million is a lot of cash.

I wonder if a pay out will ever get to a billion dollars.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
I forgot to play yesterday. 470 million is a lot of cash.

I wonder if a pay out will ever get to a billion dollars.

With the $2 ticket in the powerball now, they were guessing they would have about one $500 million or so jackpot per year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Never take the annual payout. If you die before it ends, it ends, and your family doesn't get the rest.

I believe you'd have to have it in a will for someone in your family to continue receiving it. Either way, I'd never take the annual payout.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
There are 176 million possible combinations. The cash payout will pay $341 million. A ticket costs $1. That could be the easiest $165 million you will ever make.

Keep telling yourself that. But please don't say that to my father. Could have bought a new car or two with all the lottery tickets that never won while I was growing up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
There are 176 million possible combinations. The cash payout will pay $341 million. A ticket costs $1. That could be the easiest $165 million you will ever make.

I wonder how long it would take to sit and figure all 176 million different combinations by hand?

They can print up to 10 combinations on one ticket. That's 17.6 million tickets.

Maybe not so easy... :lolhitting

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
I wonder how long it would take to sit and figure all 176 million different combinations by hand?

They can print up to 10 combinations on one ticket. That's 17.6 million tickets.

Maybe not so easy... :lolhitting

States are attempting to make online sales of lottery numbers possible. That happens...you could buy this out...but then you run the risk of more than 1 person doing so.

Might be a great way to launder money though.

I've often wondered about what would happen to an annual payout if things really got bad with funding, shortages and debts etc. It's not too hard for me to imagine unfavorable "after the fact" modifications on your winnings, maybe even outright cessation depending on the situation. It's not like there would be a line of people calling foul and taking your side- after all, you're just a lucky douche who won the lotto.

When NASA's mighty Saturn V rocket launched the historic Apollo 11 mission to land the first men on the moon in 1969, the five colossal engines that powered the booster's first stage dropped into the Atlantic Ocean, sank, and were lost forever.

Lost, that is, until now.

A private expedition financed by Amazon.com founder and billionaire Jeff Bezos has discovered the five F-1 rocket engines that were used to launch Apollo 11 into space on July 16, 1969. The same team is now drawing up plans to retrieve one or more of the engines so they can be publicly displayed.

"I'm excited to report that, using state-of-the-art deep sea sonar, the team has found the Apollo 11 engines lying 14,000 feet below the surface, and we're making plans to attempt to raise one or more of them from the ocean floor," Bezos announced on his Expeditions website. "We don't know yet what condition these engines might be in — they hit the ocean at high velocity and have been in salt water for more than 40 years. On the other hand, they are made of tough stuff, so we'll see."

Cool

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Dan McNeil has been off the air for a while due to health and wellness reasons. Has anyone ever said why he is on leave?

Mac just posted on the sports radio blog that he will be back on the air Monday April 9, and will then let everyone know why he was gone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
States are attempting to make online sales of lottery numbers possible. That happens...you could buy this out...but then you run the risk of more than 1 person doing so.

Might be a great way to launder money though.

Illinois just did it.