2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 03:26 AM)
Loved THE DESCENDANTS.

Of course, being a bit Payne and Clooney fan helps.

My all-time favorite of his is still About Schmidt, with Election a close 2nd.

Damnit, now I must watch it or find a cheap Blu Ray. Love Election.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
I was underwhelmed by Bridesmades. Went in really wanting to love it but came away lukewarm. I'm not the biggest Kristen Wiig fan in the world, though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
That's how I felt about it. It had moments, but it wasn't nearly as funny as it was made out to be.

This actually makes me feel better. I was afraid I was the only one.

I finished it last night and it didn't get much better. It got a couple of smiles out of me but no real big laughs.

Also, Melissa McCarthy has a really annoying voice. Almost reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
If I recall correctly, I told you so :D

But they had to bill it as an action movie, otherwise nobody would see it.

All of the previews were stuff that happened in the last 15 or 20 minutes of the show, which is a damned shame. The build up was so well done.

Interesting, never heard anything about this, George Lucas' last feature film....RED TAILS, about Tuskegee Airmen/WW II

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine...amp;_r=1&hp

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red-tails/

Coming out this Friday, JAN 20. Terrence Howard, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)...impressive cast.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
Interesting, never heard anything about this, George Lucas' last feature film....RED TAILS, about Tuskegee Airmen/WW II

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine...amp;_r=1&hp

It's been advertised heavily here in the states, but no major studio would pick up the film because they didn't think it was marketable overseas, as the cast is almost entirely African American.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
It's been advertised heavily here in the states, but no major studio would pick up the film because they didn't think it was marketable overseas, as the cast is almost entirely African American.

Is this actually true, or just George Lucas marketing?

I'm really looking forward to RED TAILS. Lucas has been talking about making that movie for literally two decades. In the article, Lucas talks about wanting to make small experimental movies. He's been saying that for years too. He needs to get up on that.

I also can't wait to see HAYWIRE. The last time a Lem Dobbs script was directed by Steven Soderbergh, we got THE LIMEY. That's straight up one of the best movies ever made. If HAYWIRE's half as good, we're in for a treat.

Sounds a bit like THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST situation with Gibson.

Saw Beginners, excellent movie...a little bit like Before/After Sunrise and Sunset with Delpy and Hawke (or 500 Days of Summer), mixed in with a "coming out" drama starring the underrated Christopher Plummer and Goran Vijnic who used to be on ER

Always have liked E. MacGregor, and the chick from INGLORIOUS BASTERDS (Melanie Laurent?) just seems to have a quality about her in this movie, it's hard to describe, a bit like this much older actress named Nastasia Kinski when she was younger

Beginners has made a ton of TOP 10 lists.

Will go to see "WE BOUGHT A ZOO" here in the Philippines tmrw. Saw Mission Impossible on a big screen here as well...definitely worth the cost of admission ($4.00 USD here in MANILA). Haha.

Attack the Block, Hunger and PINA are next in the viewing line-up, and Rampart with WOODY HARRELSON.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
THE ARTIST is a decent enough movie. It really owes a lot to SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, and isn't nearly as good as that movie. But the gimmick works relatively well, and the dog's cute.

It's either The Artist or The Descendants and I think The Artist will be a better experience on the big screen for me.

We Bought a Zoo is quite the underrated little flick.

Usually a fan of Cameron Crowe films, and nice to see the actor from ALMOST FAMOUS, Patrick Fugit, again.

Not sure where this film went wrong on the marketing side, but it should have done much better than it did at the box office. (See Hugo, Young Adult and War Horse).

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20483133_20556657,00.html

B- Review for Red Tails at ew.com

B- for Haywire/Gina Carano

A for Miss Bala, one of the 9 foreign language finalists for Oscar (100% A SEPARATION deserves to win)

Edited by caulfield12

Coriolanus with Ralfe Fiennes and Gerard Butler was good Shakespearean entertainment...

Worth checking out.

Took we about 20-30 minutes to adjust to the accents (kind of like Attack the Block, hopeless without subtitles in ENG), but you get used to the rhythm of the language after that initial shock.

I'll tell you why movie revenue is dropping...

BY ROGER EBERT / December 28, 2011

Box office revenue at movie theaters "lagged far behind 2010," an article by the AP's David Germain reports. Partly that was because the year lacked an "Avatar." Partly because a solid summer slate fell off in the autumn. Germain talks to several Hollywood insiders who tried to account for the general decline of ticket sales; 2011 had "smallest movie audience since 1995." I have some theories of my own, fueled by what people tell me.

1. Obviously, the absence of a must-see mass-market movie. When moviegoers hear about "Avatar" or "The Dark Knight," they blast off from home base and land in a theater seat as quickly as they can.

2. Ticket prices are too high. People have always made that complaint, but historically the movies have been cheap compared to concerts, major league sports and restaurants. Not so much any longer. No matter what your opinion is about 3D, the charm of paying a hefty surcharge has worn off for the hypothetical family of four.

3. The theater experience. Moviegoers above 30 are weary of noisy fanboys and girls. The annoyance of talkers has been joined by the plague of cell-phone users, whose bright screens are a distraction. Worse, some texting addicts get mad when told they can't use their cell phones. A theater is reportedly opening which will allow and even bless cell phone usage, although that may be an apocryphal story.

4. Refreshment prices. It's an open secret that the actual cost of soft drinks and popcorn is very low. To justify their inflated prices, theaters serve portions that are grotesquely oversized, and no longer offer what used to be a "small popcorn." Today's bucket of popcorn would feed a thoroughbred.

5. Competition from other forms of delivery. Movies streaming over the internet are no longer a sci-fi fantasy. TV screens are growing larger and cheaper. Consumers are finding devices that easily play internet movies through TV sets. Netflix alone accounts for 30% of all internet traffic in the evening. That represents millions of moviegoers. They're simply not in a theater. This could be seen as an argument about why newspapers and their readers need movie critics more than ever; the number of choices can be baffling.

6. Lack of choice. Box-office tracking shows that the bright spot in 2011 was the performance of indie, foreign or documentary films. On many weekends, one or more of those titles captures first-place in per-screen average receipts. Yet most moviegoers outside large urban centers can't find those titles in their local gigantiplex. Instead, all the shopping center compounds seem to be showing the same few overhyped disappointments. Those films open with big ad campaigns, play a couple of weeks, and disappear.

The myth that small-town moviegoers don't like "art movies" is undercut by Netflix's viewing results; the third most popular movie on Dec. 28 on Netflix was "Certified Copy," by the Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami. You've heard of him? In fourth place--French director Alain Corneau's "Love Crime." In fifth, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"--but the subtitled Swedish version.

The message I get is that Americans love the movies as much as ever. It's the theaters that are losing their charm. Proof: theaters thrive that police their audiences, show a variety of titles and emphasize value-added features. The rest of the industry can't depend forever on blockbusters to bail it out. .

Edited by caulfield12

Caught "30 Minutes or Less" last night on DVD.

Danny McBride and Jesse Eisenberg are both essentially one-note actors, but I find just about everything McBride does to be hilarious, while Jesse's act is getting kind of old.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
Caught "30 Minutes or Less" last night on DVD.

Danny McBride and Jesse Eisenberg are both essentially one-note actors, but I find just about everything McBride does to be hilarious, while Jesse's act is getting kind of old.

Did you see The Social Network? Because Eisenberg was quite solid in that, and not at all playing is usual role.