Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
That's interesting. Floyd certainly wouldn't have put much of a dent in their payroll. I have to imagine they're not willing to spend money AND give up talent for a guy that might improve them by one or two wins at best. They're just in the wrong division.

I think the entire thing was BS to begin with. They were willing to spend money on Darvish, so I'm pretty sure the guy's explanation is some more BS to cover his previous BS.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:42 AM)
There was a big rumor in TOR they actually made the whole thing about DARVISH up to cover themselves with fans, that there in actuality had not been a legitimate attempt to get him and that the actual bidding number was nowhere in the vicinity of the Rangers.

The guy went from done deal press conference to Sox have medical concerns to Toronto ownership calls it offbecause of financial reasons. It was always BS.

J4L is right, there's no way they're a single Floyd acquisition away from competing for the division.

Maybe 2, possibly 3 players away, at a minimum. Now....2 wild cards, things become a lot more interesting, because other than the Angels/Rangers, there's no clear 2nd place team in the AL Central Division at the current moment, so very easily those 2 could both come out of the AL East.

Even then, intense 4 way competition for those 3 spots. Will be interesting to see how Sergio stands up to the increased level of competition.

FarrellBall FARRELL BALL

From my source: #Jays and #WhiteSox are still working on a possible Gavin Floyd trade... Still hearing a lot of Deck McGuire.. #FarrellBall

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Our buddy is back.

Now where is the drunk/high Purdue guy?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Still going...

FarrellBall FARRELL BALL

From my source: #Jays and #WhiteSox are still working on a possible Gavin Floyd trade... Still hearing a lot of Deck McGuire.. #FarrellBall

Didn't this guy say the trade before was a done deal, then say the Sox were concerned with some medicals, then said Toronto ownership said no way? One day he may actually be correct, but I'm not buying anything he tweets about this subject anymore.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
At some point I really think KW will sell low on Floyd and sign Jackson.

I am not sure why or what to think of this but that is what I think will happen.

I wouldn't mind Jackson being back, but not under the scenario you are thinking about. I think E Jax has priced himself way too high and there is NO reason to let Floyd go without a major return.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)

I am not sure why or what to think of this but that is what I think will happen.

The whole Edwin Jackson free agency fascinates me. He's never been a free agent before and been traded for a billion times. Obviously people had previously wanted this guy but then there is the whole Boras wrinkle. I gotta imagine the whole Blue Jays/Red Sox interest in Floyd is stemming from Boras demanding 4 years for E-Jax and them rather having two years of Floyd.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)

There is zero chance of this happening, the signing of EJax that is. Every source I have talked to or listened to, Scott Merkin, Chris Rongey, Scott Gregor, MLBTradeRumors.com, etc, they all point to the White Sox budgeted payroll for this year at about $100M. It has been reported numerous times that KW's job was to get payroll down from about $127M last year to $100M this year. As the White Sox stand right now, they have about 12 players that accounts for 97M, and 13 players that will make pre-arb salaries, according to the new CBA that is to be 480K this year. So add that up and you get about $103M. Thats already about $3M over budget and there is no way KW is going to trade Floyd, making $7.5M then add EJax making $10M or so, then his payroll would be net $3M+ on top of the $3M hes already over budget for. In a rebuild year where you will be lucky to draw 1.5M fans and win 75 games, there is absoultely no reason to be even a dime over budgeted payroll. Sorry bro, money talks! I am all for trading Floyd though and getting prospects and saving the $7.5M, just thrown Stewart in the rotation, forget about Ejax.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
There is zero chance of this happening, the signing of EJax that is. Every source I have talked to or listened to, Scott Merkin, Chris Rongey, Scott Gregor, MLBTradeRumors.com, etc, they all point to the White Sox budgeted payroll for this year at about $100M. It has been reported numerous times that KW's job was to get payroll down from about $127M last year to $100M this year. As the White Sox stand right now, they have about 12 players that accounts for 97M, and 13 players that will make pre-arb salaries, according to the new CBA that is to be 480K this year. So add that up and you get about $103M. Thats already about $3M over budget and there is no way KW is going to trade Floyd, making $7.5M then add EJax making $10M or so, then his payroll would be net $3M+ on top of the $3M hes already over budget for. In a rebuild year where you will be lucky to draw 1.5M fans and win 75 games, there is absoultely no reason to be even a dime over budgeted payroll. Sorry bro, money talks! I am all for trading Floyd though and getting prospects and saving the $7.5M, just thrown Stewart in the rotation, forget about Ejax.

Unfortunately I still think the Sox have a solid team and the move I pointed out serves two purposes makes the current team stronger and builds for the future.

If Jackson wants to come back to Chicago I think there are ways to get it done.

I also think there are four guys that know the White Sox budget and none of them write for a living.