Sox sign Venezuelan pitcher prospect

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Pretty soon, we're going to need some good nicknames for these guys.

We have Marinez, Oswaldo Martinez and now another Martinez. Not to mention Carlos Martinez's son (I think still with us?)

Nobody is using the Marx brothers' names these days - so let's go with Chico, Harpo, Groucho, Gummo and Zeppo.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
I really wish we had some insight on how the Paddy deal went down. Seems like it was a lateral move for him, so I'm hoping and guessing we gave him a significant raise over what he was making in Toronto. You have to wonder why AA was willing to let him go.

I'm not sure it's a lateral move. He went from Director of Latin Operations in Toronto to Special Assistant to the GM - International Operations with the White Sox. Probably a raise, more power, more autonomy, and all those good things that come with what seems to be a promotion.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
I'm not sure it's a lateral move. He went from Director of Latin Operations in Toronto to Special Assistant to the GM - International Operations with the White Sox. Probably a raise, more power, more autonomy, and all those good things that come with what seems to be a promotion.

Then that's great news. Just wanted to understand why the Blue Jays would allow to leave and this makes perfect sense.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about this guy beyond what's in this thread, but everything I've read sounds pretty encouraging. He has the body you look for, and that he has a fastball that projects as plus, as well as two other even passable pitches is pretty impressive for a guy his age.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:19 AM)
Does the new CBA come in effect as of now?

If so, I think we need to credit the new CBA's requirement for international spending more than the Sox actively seeking a different philosophy.

This signing doesn't count against the new CBA spending limitations. It doesn't come into effect yet, although it should still ultimately help us.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:19 AM)
Does the new CBA come in effect as of now?

If so, I think we need to credit the new CBA's requirement for international spending more than the Sox actively seeking a different philosophy.

The CBA is in effect, but the international limits don't start until this summer I believe. I think this is just considered one "Offseason signing period" and the limits target next year's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
The CBA is in effect, but the international limits don't start until this summer I believe. I think this is just considered one "Offseason signing period" and the limits target next year's.

International limits start July 2nd. Love the signing and let's continue spending to build up some depth in our farm system