SOXOBAMA's opinion: Payton > Jordan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
No thanks. I've learned over time to pick and choose my message board battles. I'm not going to devote 20+ posts in breaking down why wrestling sucks and is not a true sport, and why basketball requires 20 times more skill. That's just a Baltaesque way of driving up your post count.

It is not. I sure don't care about post counts.

I just get irked when people are so sure about something for which they are completely uninformed. You are so sure wrestling isn't a sport yet you have no information to base this idea upon. By the way just to clarify the situation, I hope you realize I am not talking about the TV type, WWE wrestling.

This is just my opinion but I consider it an informed, educated opinion.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
Hold with one of your hands or your legs.

Generally if I'm jumping to block a shot or catch a pass I'll hold the broom with my leg.

Now THAT takes a great deal of coordination.

Longevity is everything. You can be a flash in the pan athletic freak, but that only lasts so long most of the time.

I dont understand why people say how much better Sanders and Brown were than Payton. A huge part of being an NFL RB is durability, if there is enough prevailing skill thats probably the biggest thing you want out of a great RB. Nobody takes more punishment in professional sports than NFL runningacks. Payton missed 1 game in his rookie year from the day he signed with the Bears until the day he retired. That counts for a lot more than all these guys who had great ~5 year stints but couldn't keep it up over a decade of getting leveled (especially considering Walter's style wasnt really about avoiding contact).

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
Longevity is everything. You can be a flash in the pan athletic freak, but that only lasts so long most of the time.

I dont understand why people say how much better Sanders and Brown were than Payton. A huge part of being an NFL RB is durability, if there is enough prevailing skill thats probably the biggest thing you want out of a great RB. Nobody takes more punishment in professional sports than NFL runningacks. Payton missed 1 game in his rookie year from the day he signed with the Bears until the day he retired. That counts for a lot more than all these guys who had great ~5 year stints but couldn't keep it up over a decade of getting leveled (especially considering Walter's style wasnt really about avoiding contact).

White Sox RFs

Im surprised people have Barry Sanders above Payton. In terms of making highlights Sanders was number one but he also I think has the most negative rushes too in the history of the NFL or is up there at the very least. Walter Payton is the 2nd best RB of all time imo behind Jim Brown. Gale Sayers was more talented but his career was too short to put him on best ever list.

But yes, being arguably the 2nd best RB in the NFL (some would have him a few spots lower) doesn't make you better than the best NBA player of all time, even if you put Wilt in front of Jordan that makes him 2nd best NBA player of all time while Payton is at best 2nd in just his position.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
Im surprised people have Barry Sanders above Payton. In terms of making highlights Sanders was number one but he also I think has the most negative rushes too in the history of the NFL or is up there at the very least. Walter Payton is the 2nd best RB of all time imo behind Jim Brown. Gale Sayers was more talented but his career was too short to put him on best ever list.

But yes, being arguably the 2nd best RB in the NFL (some would have him a few spots lower) doesn't make you better than the best NBA player of all time, even if you put Wilt in front of Jordan that makes him 2nd best NBA player of all time while Payton is at best 2nd in just his position.

Barry averaged .6 more yards per carry than Walter.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
Only read 3 pages and I'm surprised to see so many people down on Walter... I see more props given to him from non Chicago-centric football boards

You would see that on a normal day. But he's comparing the immortal 23 to 34, that is indefensible right there.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
My 3 favorite sports are fencing, Nascar, and curling.

omg LOL. nascar is not a sport, i guess me driving on the eisenhower for all these years without a single accident and/or speeding ticket makes me an athlete lolololololol

/greenletters

Edited by flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
omg LOL. nascar is not a sport, i guess me driving on the eisenhower for all these years without a single accident and/or speeding ticket makes me an athlete lolololololol

/greenletters

You might want to stop by Geek Squad to have your sarcasm detector checked out.