Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After mentioning Juaquin Iglesias earlier, I thought it might be fun to put together a Bears depth chart of suck. Try and pick out the worst players the Bears have drafted and/or signed onto one team. I don't think this roster should include guys like Rex who were bad (at times) but had some level of success while on the roster. Rather, this should be dedicated to the truly miserable, the "WTF is going on out there" types.

If this doesn't go anywhere, so be it . . . but I'll start:

The Chicago Bears' All-Time Roster of Suck

jonathan-quinn-260x300.jpg

QB: Jonathan Quinn

Notable Career Numbers as a Bear: 0-3-0 Record as a Starter, 52% completion pct, 4.2 YPA, 1 TD, 3 INT, 15 Sacks for 109 YLost.

I know the popular sentiment might be to go with Todd Collins, but I have never seen a player look as overmatched, scared, bewildered, and all-around pathetic than JQ after Rex blew out an achilles in Minnesota. I really never saw an NFL level throw from Quinn. Thanks Terry Shea. I remember Quinn having one size-able passing gain against Tampa Bay. It was a screen pass to Thomas Jones (obviously couldn't have been downfield) who took the pass about 80 yards for a touchdown. . . only to be called back for a holding penalty on David Terrell, who was holding a CB on the other side of the field.

I think Todd Collins is definitely on the depth chart of suck, and Henry Burris (maybe unfair) is probably the emergency QB.

NEXT: Running Backs -- Who ya got?

curtis.jpg

Curtis Enis SUCKED. At football and at life.

Drafted #5 overall. Held out of camp.

Had more lost fumbles (5) than TDs (4) for his careeer.

Gained a whopping 1,497 rushing yards in 3 seasons, all while acting like a complete and utter asshole.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
curtis.jpg

Curtis Enis SUCKED. At football and at life.

Drafted #5 overall. Held out of camp.

Had more lost fumbles (5) than TDs (4) for his careeer.

Gained a whopping 1,497 rushing yards in 3 seasons, all while acting like a complete and utter asshole.

Curtis (P) Enis

Enis did average 3.3 yards per carry in those years. Chester Taylor was at 2.4 in his lone year with the Bears. Oh, and Ced Bens was drafted 4th overall and, even though he was statistically better (and has been good with Cincinnati), he fumbled in the superbowl, fumbled the next season and got worse, and then got arrested like twice in the same month, forcing the Bears to release him from a hefty rookie contract.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Let me help you out here...

Curtis (P)Enis

Does removing the space help?

Let me help you out here.

I imagine he was joking.

Does pointing out the obvious help?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
Enis did average 3.3 yards per carry in those years. Chester Taylor was at 2.4 in his lone year with the Bears. Oh, and Ced Bens was drafted 4th overall and, even though he was statistically better (and has been good with Cincinnati), he fumbled in the superbowl, fumbled the next season and got worse, and then got arrested like twice in the same month, forcing the Bears to release him from a hefty rookie contract.

Given that drafting Cedric Benson meant trading Thomas Jones a year later. . . . adds a level of misery to his legacy. Still, I think Benson was still better than Enis.

Full disclosure: I still own and, for ironic purposes, wear a Curtis Enis jersey every now and again (I wore it to training camp last year).

I actually remember Enis playing pretty decently in his first few games as a rookie. However, given the length of his bizarre holdout (I seem to recall that it involved some religious advisor) he was out of shape and couldn't handle a full load of carries. I think he tore his ACL shortly into the season and that ended his year. Then after Wanne was fired Jauron had Enis bulk up and attempt to play FB, which was a silly and horrible idea. I don't think he ever played for another team.

I think Benson was bad and think Salaam was a joke after his rookie year (where he still fumbled 9 times) . . . but Enis is probably the starting RB on the Roster of Suck.

In all the debate about field turf or natural grass, I have yet to see someone bring up the fact that field turf is terrible in the winter. I can only assume that the people writing all of the articles have never even been on field turf and instead are basing their arguments on google searches.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
In all the debate about field turf or natural grass, I have yet to see someone bring up the fact that field turf is terrible in the winter. I can only assume that the people writing all of the articles have never even been on field turf and instead are basing their arguments on google searches.

I just want to use whatever the Packers do, the weather is similar in both cities and they don't seemingly have the issues.

It will be hard to get new turf in before the season starts. The Bears play on Aug 13 and dont return home until Sept 1, but Soldier Field is hosting the High School Football Kick-Off on Aug 26th. It can take 9-14 days to install FieldTurf. So, even if the Park District and Bears agreed to a new surface by Saturday, they'd have to move extremely fast to get it in. And this is chicago, we dont do "extremely fast" very well.

The only time that I see for an in-season change would be after the October 16th game against the Vikings. They have back-to-back road games in London and Philly

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
It will be hard to get new turf in before the season starts. The Bears play on Aug 13 and dont return home until Sept 1, but Soldier Field is hosting the High School Football Kick-Off on Aug 26th. It can take 9-14 days to install turf. So, even if the Park District and Bears agreed to a new surface by Saturday, they'd have to move extremely fast to get it in. And this is chicago, we dont do "extremely fast" very well.

The only time that I see for an in-season change would be after the October 16th game against the Vikings. They have back-to-back road games in London and Philly

Fieldturf can be installed in less than a week.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
I just want to use whatever the Packers do, the weather is similar in both cities and they don't seemingly have the issues.

Theirs is a hybrid grass/fieldturf. Its a little better than fieldturf in the winter because its a bit softer and there are a few less rubber pellets to cut the hell out of your skin. Fieldturf in the winter is like falling on razorblades.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
Fieldturf can be installed in less than a week.

That's not what i read this morning. I read it can be installed "within two weeks":

SunTimes.com -

Neither (DD GrassMaster and FieldTurf) requires an ­annual maintenance cost, and both can be completed within two weeks. During the 2006 season, ­FieldTurf was installed at Gillette Stadium — home of the New ­England Patriots — in nine days.
Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
That's not what i read this morning. I read it can be installed "within two weeks":

SunTimes.com -

I hadnt seen that yet. Maybe it being in a large stadium slows it down because of the drainage system??? I've seen them throw it in quickly on a practice field.

If they could put it down in 9 days, and also still keep the field heating system, we would have a surface that would basically be maintenance free for the next many years. The only real "repair" would have to take place if there was a huge rain storm or a massive concert event.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)

It seems to work well for the Patriots. If you remember, the first game they played on it against the bears was after an insane snowstorm, and it played pretty well. Soldier field has heaters under the sod IIRC, so it isnt as if the field turf would just freeze and that is that.

It is just so maddening and frustrating. The Bears have been at the bottom in field quality pretty much since they installed the grass, and the same things are tried over and over. Replacing sod 5 days before a game in sub zero weather is not an ideal strategy to deal with the situation, the sod is not going to take, and it will just be ripped up and replaced shortly after gameday. If they need to copy the Packers with their hybrid field, so be it. Just do something different, because status quo has failed miserably

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
It seems to work well for the Patriots. If you remember, the first game they played on it against the bears was after an insane snowstorm, and it played pretty well. Soldier field has heaters under the sod IIRC, so it isnt as if the field turf would just freeze and that is that.

It is just so maddening and frustrating. The Bears have been at the bottom in field quality pretty much since they installed the grass, and the same things are tried over and over. Replacing sod 5 days before a game in sub zero weather is not an ideal strategy to deal with the situation, the sod is not going to take, and it will just be ripped up and replaced shortly after gameday. If they need to copy the Packers with their hybrid field, so be it. Just do something different, because status quo has failed miserably

Maybe that's why the Packers had so many players on IR last season...their dangerous hybrid grass!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)

The grass the Bears play on appears terrible in the winter too.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
Theirs is a hybrid grass/fieldturf. Its a little better than fieldturf in the winter because its a bit softer and there are a few less rubber pellets to cut the hell out of your skin. Fieldturf in the winter is like falling on razorblades.

I know the field turf we had put in at our HS stadium has actually reduced injuries because guys aren't getting the pulls and tears from having the turf rip out from under them.

Chicago Bears Roster of Suck

Starting Playing Surface:

63811942.jpg

The Grass at Soldier Field

Notable Highlights: Consistently voted worst playing surface in the league. Management refuses to replace it with field turf. Caused team to cancel Family night in 2011.