Fielder to Detroit 9 years $214million

southsider2k5

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
In what world is Prince Fielder one of the top 5 players in all of baseball?

Which hitters are considered better? Pujols obviously, and Bautista the last two years. I'm not buying into Kemp's 2011 season.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
Which hitters are considered better? Pujols obviously

Just at the same position, I'll go:

Albert

Votto

Cabrera

And if he's healthy, Adrian Gonzalez.

Over the last 4 years, Teixeira has put up similar WAR to Prince, while I'm at it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)

Albert

Votto

Cabrera

Over the last 4 years, Teixeira has put up similar WAR to Prince, while I'm at it.

Prince is still quite a solid pickup in the short term. A 5 fWAR player will offset the loss of Victor and then some.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
KW should be on the phone now trying to trade Floyd, Crain, Thornton, Alexei and a few other players. This season is over

Like when the Red Sox landed Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez last year. There's a reason why everyone picked them to win the AL East last year, that team was loaded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)

Albert

Votto

Cabrera

Well 1st base also happens to have most of the best hitters in baseball...so don't make it sound like we could grab 2nd basemen and do the same thing.

He may not be top 5, but he is an elite player, which is the point.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Steak dinner boom.

Soy steak, of course.

Illitch is such a smart businessman. if only KW would have thought to meet Prince and have a soy steak dinner with him, boom, he would have been on the Sox. (And if he offered $214 million)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Prince is still quite a solid pickup in the short term. A 5 fWAR player will offset the loss of Victor and then some.

Now let's also note though...he's been somewhat inconsistent in his career, bouncing between 6.4 WAR and 3.4 WAR over the last 3 years. Furthermore, he's also moving to a much worse ballpark for hitting, which has been known to affect big bats in different ways. And if Miguel Cabrera winds up spending time at 3b or DH, then Miguel Cabrera's WAR is going to go down because of position adjustments and deplorable defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Now let's also note though...he's been somewhat inconsistent in his career, bouncing between 6.4 WAR and 3.4 WAR over the last 3 years. Furthermore, he's also moving to a much worse ballpark for hitting, which has been known to affect big bats in different ways. And if Miguel Cabrera winds up spending time at 3b or DH, then Miguel Cabrera's WAR is going to go down because of position adjustments and deplorable defense.

Downplay it any way you want.

Bottom line is that for the next 3-4 seasons, that is going to be one hell of a tandem.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
Well 1st base also happens to have most of the best hitters in baseball...so don't make it sound like we could grab 2nd basemen and do the same thing.

He may not be top 5, but he is an elite player, which is the point.

Yes he's an elite player. I won't dispute that. Currently he is an elite player. He's now being paid one of the top salaries in baseball though, and is being done so for such a long time that he's basically never allowed to age, otherwise he'll be a giant hole blown in the budget.

And on that one, I was responding specifically to fathom's claim that he was one of the top 5 players in baseball, while I can think of multiple players in MLB who I'd rather spend $23 million on for the next couple seasons than him.