Fielder to Detroit 9 years $214million

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
Leyland + Verlander is an injury waiting to happen. Are you kidding me?

OK, and when it happens, I'll say you guys were right. We've been hearing about Verlander and impending injuries for years. We've been hearing about how fat Prince Fielder is for years. Now it's Miggy. And all these guys do is perform.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Yeah, why bother playing the games. I love you but man you love what other teams do, but if the White Sox did the same thing you would find 1000 reasons to say they are going to suck.

That's not true. It wasn't that long ago that I was Mr. Optimistic when it was warranted. You don't see me pimpin' the Cubs and Astros. Rays, Rangers, Phillies? You better believe I admire them. I don't think the Tigers are some premier organization. But the talent is undeniable.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
I think the case really is that pitching and defense wins championships. The tigers still aren't real strong in either one. Their offense will carry the division, and that isn't saying much, but I don't think they'll go much further.

And I agree completely. I said the Tigers had the division on lock. Not the AL. I still can't believe how little love the Rays STILL get. When you've got Price, Hellickson, Moore and Shields, yes, you've got a squad.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
OK, and when it happens, I'll say you guys were right. We've been hearing about Verlander and impending injuries for years. We've been hearing about how fat Prince Fielder is for years. Now it's Miggy. And all these guys do is perform.

That's not true. It wasn't that long ago that I was Mr. Optimistic when it was warranted. You don't see me pimpin' the Cubs and Astros. Rays, Rangers, Phillies? You better believe I admire them. I don't think the Tigers are some premier organization. But the talent is undeniable.

Is Fielder and Cabrera better than Fielder and Braun?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
And I agree completely. I said the Tigers had the division on lock. Not the AL. I still can't believe how little love the Rays STILL get. When you've got Price, Hellickson, Moore and Shields, yes, you've got a squad.

As it currently stands they are the odds on favorite.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
Is Fielder and Cabrera better than Fielder and Braun?

Yes, I think as for as RH hitters go you've got the clear #1 in Pujols, followed closely by Miggy and then I'd say Braun. Miguel has never had this type of protection behind him before. He could have his best year yet.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
Yes, I think as for as RH hitters go you've got the clear #1 in Pujols, followed closely by Miggy and then I'd say Braun. Miguel has never had this type of protection behind him before. He could have his best year yet.

I think I would agree especially in light of the PEDs. I don't think Cabrera is on anything except Tequila and cheeseburgers.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
You're out of your mind. Pujols is 32. That deal is atrocious. Fielder is 27.

I think they are both bad deals for the teams. Cecil's body started falling apart when he was about 30. Prince has a lot of his genes, and I think he has even more girth than his dad. For the first couple years, I'd love to be the owner with with the contracts, after that, the roof may and probably will cave in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
He's had a career .965 OPS in Milwaukee and .896 on the road.

those numbers got a bit more severe last year. 1.096 at home, .869 road.

That's interesting. Milwaukee seems like a good place to hit, and when the weather isn't perfect, they can still make the conditions close to it. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. That said I still think the guy is a force, just not a 9 year $214 million force.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
That's interesting. Milwaukee seems like a good place to hit, and when the weather isn't perfect, they can still make the conditions close to it. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. That said I still think the guy is a force, just not a 9 year $214 million force.

I don't know if I've ever noticed this one before, but "Hittracker" has a column that calculates how many different parks Fielder's HR's from last year would have departed. There's probably abotu 5-7 of his ones from last year that would have stayed in the park had they been hit in Comerica instead of Miller (or Minute Maid park).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
I think they are both bad deals for the teams. Cecil's body started falling apart when he was about 30. Prince has a lot of his genes, and I think he has even more girth than his dad. For the first couple years, I'd love to be the owner with with the contracts, after that, the roof may and probably will cave in.

That's likely. I didn't say the Fielder deal was good, but his deal expires at 36. Pujols' at 42. You can't tell me you're going to want to pay Pujols 25 mill a year at 40 years old when he still has 3 years left on that deal. Fielder at 34-36 for 24 mill? Both seem equally crap on the back end and I think Fielder has a better chance of making the middle years look good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
That's likely. I didn't say the Fielder deal was good, but his deal expires at 36. Pujols' at 42. You can't tell me you're going to want to pay Pujols 25 mill a year at 40 years old when he still has 3 years left on that deal. Fielder at 34-36 for 24 mill? Both seem equally crap on the back end and I think Fielder has a better chance of making the middle years look good.

I'd say that Pujols is a significantly better player right now, and a significantly better physical specimen right now, and thus, I'd still expect Pujols to age vastly better than Fielder. And to top it off, Fielder has to compete with another guy for the DH spot over the next 5 years.

All of the Tigers fans I know are pretty excited about this move. The Huge Show (mid-Michigan's version of the Afternoon Saloon) spent a lot of time on it too. Everyone seems to have such high hopes. Looks like I'll be seeing more Tigers games this year. Can't wait to see Miggy at 3b hahaha.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
They were 4th in runs scored last season, bottom half in runs given up. Solution: spend $214 million on another DH.

While Fielder is an upgrade over Martinez, its not a gigantic upgrade, at least the 2011 version of Martinez, especially if you consider it makes Cabrera a thirdbaseman, and puts a horrific firstbaseman at the other corner. In the world of fantasy baseball, defense is often overlooked. If you're bad in the field, the ball has a way of finding you. The Tigers infield defense is going to be about as bad as it gets.