Sox sign Dan Johnson 1B

southsider2k5

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 01:24 AM)
He has hit some clutch HRs in his career. If he is healthy, this could be a nice UTR signing. However, last year he hit below the 2011 Dunn Line with his bad wrist.

How many clutch homers? I only heard of one, but looking back at his stats I see he had some decent power numbers with Oakland in 05-06-07. Not a great average hitter, but he might battle for the starting 1B slot at Charlotte.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
How many clutch homers? I only heard of one, but looking back at his stats I see he had some decent power numbers with Oakland in 05-06-07. Not a great average hitter, but he might battle for the starting 1B slot at Charlotte.

Yep.

I'd also wager Jim Gallagher is more likely to see a call-up before Dan Johnson. This is a Charlotte fodder move, as been said.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
Yep.

I'd also wager Jim Gallagher is more likely to see a call-up before Dan Johnson. This is a Charlotte fodder move, as been said.

I'd say Johnson is way more likely than Gallagher. I don't think the team sees Gallagher as anything, and if Johnson actually can play a little corner OF and/or 3B in a pinch, he may have a shot at the bench.

The article said that something like 7 of his 11 home runs with the Rays either tied the score or gave the Rays the lead. He hit one the last game of the season against the Yankees. He hit one against Matt Thornton (3 run home run) last year in the ninth early in the season to give Rays a 9-7 lead and eventually the win.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
That 3 run homer he hit off Matt Thornton gave the Rays their first lead in any game of the year, which was after they had already broken the record for longest string of innings to start a season having never held a lead.

That is true. I forgot about their bad start. Thus basically Dan Johnson jump started their season and then helped them at the end to get into the playoff . Tied the score at 7 with two outs in the ninth against the Yankees.

Seems to be well liked by Rays fans. Except for one Rays fan who got hit in the groin by Johnson's last HR as a Ray.

Edited by sunofgold

If Dunn gets hurt, or starts out the season anywhere nearly as awful as last season, Johnson could provide a legitmate LH hitter.

I understand that the Sox will probably play Dunn, no matter how poorly he performs, but you never know. This entire organization has no left handed hitting depth, anywhere near Major League ready. Johnson could help improve that, along with McPherson.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
If Dunn gets hurt, or starts out the season anywhere nearly as awful as last season, Johnson could provide a legitmate LH hitter.

I understand that the Sox will probably play Dunn, no matter how poorly he performs, but you never know. This entire organization has no left handed hitting depth, anywhere near Major League ready. Johnson could help improve that, along with McPherson.

If we're counting on Johnson and McPherson providing our left-handed hitting depth we are in serious trouble.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
Welcome to Rebuilding. Would you like fries with that?

I can't see that it's rebuilding. It just looks like 'getting s***tier'.

What is being rebuilt? We traded Quentin for two 'whatever' prospects, Santos was moved for a single A ball pitcher, we're stuck with some really bad and/or overpaid players that have no trade value. A true rebuild this is not. This is idle tinkering.

I can't wait to see the two mediocre prospects Williams picks up if he trades Floyd.

I think Kansas City finally has a chance to move out of the cellar.