Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
NO. PLEASE NO.

I'm not a fan of a media circus following players to Chicago, especially if it's not 90%+ sure the player is worth it. No player out of the draft is that certain.

Or maybe it's because I just have never understood the Te'O hype. He's good, he's not (Touchdown) Jesus.

A good comp for Te'o is Luke Kuechly, which is a really, really solid and reliable MLB who might make a couple Pro Bowls. They are valuable players that can help anchor a defense, but they are not game changers like so many of the defensive players in this years draft are

If my team was weak at LB (Chiefs are actually loaded there) I'd look to take him in the latter half of the first round.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
A good comp for Te'o is Luke Kuechly, which is a really, really solid and reliable MLB who might make a couple Pro Bowls. They are valuable players that can help anchor a defense, but they are not game changers like some many of the defensive players in this years draft are

If my team was weak at LB (Chiefs are actually loaded there) I'd look to take him in the latter half of the first round.

Luke Kuechly is a much better player than Teo.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
A good comp for Te'o is Luke Kuechly, which is a really, really solid and reliable MLB who might make a couple Pro Bowls. They are valuable players that can help anchor a defense, but they are not game changers like some many of the defensive players in this years draft are

I would agree with that. I think Te'o should be drafted somewhere in the 14-22 range, though he'll go much higher than that. Barring any fallout from this whole situation, that is.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
I think the sad thing is ND reportedly hired someone to investigate this situation but swept hers under the rug.

This. ND stonewalled the Seeburg family, who had to inveitigate it on their own.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
See, now whoever is running that twitter account is reveling in what happened to Te'o. If that is Touiasosopa that is just messed up

I'm guessing it was hacked.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Deadspin ‏@Deadspin

Manti Te'o's teammates had doubts all season about Lennay Kekua: http://deadsp.in/7j2wg8Z

Saw this on another site. Could be fake but who knows.

"I am a walk-on at Notre Dame. I did not

play this year but was on the practice squad. We have been told to keep quiet

on this, but as a non-scholarship player who plans on transferring, I don't

care. We knew this girl was a hoax sometime in October. People in the locker

room and around the football program started talking about it. The coaches knew

but everyone was told to more or less play dumb. Facts are Te'o sexuality was

in question his freshman year and there were rumors he was gay. Te'o then all

the sudden had this G/F and then all the sudden she was dying, etc. etc. I

think he made up this G/F story to hide his sexuailty and it backfired on him.

I have nothing against Gays personally, but at a big Catholic school like this

it is hard to overcome. Te'o's problem is that he kept telling this lie when he

knew it wasn't real, and even added to it with her dying I guess for attention

or whatever. Either way, I'm done with this place and Kelly."

Brandon

What's interesting to me is how everyone seems vaguely outraged, but no one seems particularly angry. But — then again — what is there to be angry about? If we don't classify Te'o as the victim, there's no victim at all. I suppose some people might feel "betrayed" for having been tricked into caring about Te'o's unreal romantic hardship, but that doesn't make much sense; the public's intangible, mediated relationship with Te'o isn't that different from Te'o's intangible, mediated relationship with a woman who wasn't there.

Oh Mr. Klosterman, thank you for always getting it right.

Honestly, in my opinion, the best summary of the audacity of public reaction here.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)

Honestly, in my opinion, the best summary of the audacity of public reaction here.

I'm not seeing this public reaction you are. Everyone i've seen talk about it, on twitter, et al, very little righteousness in this. I'm actually loving that there are no victims because I feel no guilt gawking at this train wreck.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)

I think a lot of the outrage I've seen is because of what ND did to purposely cover this up and also the amount of public effort they put into this vs actual tragedies.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)

Anybody who is upset over this is taking someone else's life too seriously. I'm not upset at all. I merely find it to be an absolutely fascinating human interest story with an incredible amount of loose ends and plot twists that I am squirming in my seat. This absolutely is better than a movie and it's actually happening in real life.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
I think a lot of the outrage I've seen is because of what ND did to purposely cover this up and also the amount of public effort they put into this vs actual tragedies.

Oh I absolutely think this is a strike 3 you're out moment for ND AD. They are dragging that university into the mud.