Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
Anybody who is upset over this is taking someone else's life too seriously. I'm not upset at all. I merely find it to be an absolutely fascinating human interest story with an incredible amount of loose ends and plot twists that I am squirming in my seat. This absolutely is better than a movie and it's actually happening in real life.

IMO ND should have come out and disconnected themselves from him and let him take the bad press. Instead now people are going to be interested in digging into the cover up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
Oh Mr. Klosterman, thank you for always getting it right.

Honestly, in my opinion, the best summary of the audacity of public reaction here.

I find this story hilarious and its one of my favorite stories ever because there is no real victim. I also love how a large portion of Notre Dame fans are so defensive about this even though no matter what story you believe, it is clear as day that Teo is a fraud at some level.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)

Im now starting to think it was a scam on Te'o. Not sure how Thamel missed it.

It makes sense with what the Cardinals guy said. They were using this girl's troubles to try and get money from people.

At first killing off the gf doesnt make sense, but think of it this way. She wasnt real. Te'o starts pushing her to come to his games. That wont work. So you kill her off, and you start telling Te'o about these letters she wrote him etc, hoping that he will take care of you because of his love for her.

Pretty twisted.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
Someone should have known something was up right after that interview. He has no details of anything. Um I think she graduated in 2010 oh maybe it was 2011.

I mean, really?

He was being scammed. If youve ever dealt with scam artists, they are very good about being wish/washy with details.

Te'o just seems to be incredibly dumb and never even considered the possibility that someone was trying to get the better of him.

Its hard to put yourself in this position, but people do legitimately fall in love with online acquaintances that they have never met. Once they get that attachment, they are not thinking clear and most people dont go out of their way to try and disprove someones existence.

Put it this way, the cardinals player believes he actually met her. Thats how good these cons are.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
Im now starting to think it was a scam on Te'o. Not sure how Thamel missed it.

It makes sense with what the Cardinals guy said. They were using this girl's troubles to try and get money from people.

At first killing off the gf doesnt make sense, but think of it this way. She wasnt real. Te'o starts pushing her to come to his games. That wont work. So you kill her off, and you start telling Te'o about these letters she wrote him etc, hoping that he will take care of you because of his love for her.

Pretty twisted.

I think when you have to add so many different parts to the story to make it somewhat believeable(and even then, not very believeable at all), then you have to go back to not believing any of it. There are so many people involved in this, his parents and brother, the university people. I just cannot help but think that the type of scam they are claiming this to be is not that complex.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
I find this story hilarious and its one of my favorite stories ever because there is no real victim. I also love how a large portion of Notre Dame fans are so defensive about this even though no matter what story you believe, it is clear as day that Teo is a fraud at some level.

Yup. One of my roommates is a huge ND fan(his whole family went there) and usually a very level headed guy but it's amazing how blinded he is by his ND love here. It's sad.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I'm guessing Te'O could scam soxbadger pretty easily.

lol

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I think when you have to add so many different parts to the story to make it somewhat believeable(and even then, not very believeable at all), then you have to go back to not believing any of it. There are so many people involved in this, his parents and brother, the university people. I just cannot help but think that the type of scam they are claiming this to be is not that complex.

Kyle,

I have actual experience with this stuff. Ive worked with IL Attorney General, FBI because our firm has had a few clients that have been ripped off by online scams. You would be shocked at how much money these "women" are able to get out of men before they realize that they are just being ripped off.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I'm guessing Te'O could scam soxbadger pretty easily.

It is an honor that you follow me around, but unlike you I actually have experience in this matter.

Keep up the good work, the rest of the sheep are counting on your intellect to guide them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
Kyle,

I have actual experience with this stuff. Ive worked with IL Attorney General, FBI because our firm has had a few clients that have been ripped off by online scams. You would be shocked at how much money these "women" are able to get out of men before they realize that they are just being ripped off.

Badger

You are assuming money was scammed here. As far as anyone knows right now, there has been no money motive at all. At that point, you have to say WTF is this and why?

You are scrambling to try and make sense of it like any of us are, and in trying to make sense of it you are making up these possible outlandish scenarios that just dont make sense when nobody is profiting from it.

I understand the lengths people go to scam money just as much as you do Badger, I work in credit card fraud. I see it EVERY DAY just like you. Remember my comment about lexis nexis? I use it just like you do.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
He was being scammed. If youve ever dealt with scam artists, they are very good about being wish/washy with details.

Te'o just seems to be incredibly dumb and never even considered the possibility that someone was trying to get the better of him.

Its hard to put yourself in this position, but people do legitimately fall in love with online acquaintances that they have never met. Once they get that attachment, they are not thinking clear and most people dont go out of their way to try and disprove someones existence.

Put it this way, the cardinals player believes he actually met her. Thats how good these cons are.

Too many loose ends for me to believe that still. I honestly have no idea what to believe at this point and that's why this story is so fun imo. Like others have said, there's no actual victim and there is no good story to believe here. There are so many possibilities and I'm so intrigued by all of them.

I'm still thinking Vince McMahon is behind all of this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
SI: I can call Stanford and check. They have to have some record or note that she passed.

Bet he wishes he would have done that now

Eubanks, who directed Stanford's football media relations this season, couldn't find her in the alumni directory and thought it was odd that, on such a small campus, he'd never heard of a student dating Te'o. This was the most glaring sign I missed. I thought that maybe she didn't graduate, so we took any reference to Stanford out of the story.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-f.../#ixzz2IH58YhFw

+++++++++++

He did, and didn't find anything so he removed it from the story. I think he could've ran with this *he was on deadline* but he REALLY should've followed up after on this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
SI: I can call Stanford and check. They have to have some record or note that she passed.

Bet he wishes he would have done that now

He did...they had nothing and found it to be very odd that they didn't know who the girl on campus was that was dating Te'O.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
Badger

You are assuming money was scammed here. As far as anyone knows right now, there has been no money motive at all. At that point, you have to say WTF is this and why?

You are scrambling to try and make sense of it like any of us are, and in trying to make sense of it you are making up these possible outlandish scenarios that just dont make sense when nobody is profiting from it.

I understand the lengths people go to scam money just as much as you do Badger, I work in credit card fraud. I see it EVERY DAY just like you. Remember my comment about lexis nexis? I use it just like you do.

Kyle,

We are both speculating. I just believe that the simplest answer is the most logical.

What is simpler?

1) T'eo created fake girlfriend months ago for no conceivable reason (I believe ND teammates claim Te'o was sleeping with other girls), just so that he can kill her off for attention later down the line?

That just doesnt pass the smell test. By all accounts, outside of this instance, Te'o is a great human. He really did write letters to cancer victims, he really did meet children etc. So it just seems unreasonable that someone with his character would do something so outlandish, for so little gain.

2) Te'o meets girl online and falls hard for her. Te'o doesnt want to tell his teammates that he is involved in an online relationship because that isnt something a football player admits too. In order to cover that up, Te'o embellishes his relationship with her. Then for whatever reason (im thinking Te'o is pushing to meet her as he set up a visit for Wake Forest game) the con artist panics and kills her off. They then try and keep the con going by "reading letters to Te'o from his dead gf before every game."

I personally think 2 is more likely than 1. That is not to say that 1 may not be the truth. Just that if I had to bet my last dollar on 1 or 2, Im going 2. The reason #2 has jumped in the lead is the comment by the Cardinal who said he met her. As you would know in fraud, con artists many times use similar cons repeatedly Nigerian Prince Scam or foreign certified check scam.

But that is right now, more information can come out that could change my mind. It just seems most people want to destroy Te'o instead of just objectively looking at the evidence and trying to find the answer. Im no ND apologist, I really dont care for them at all. I just hate to see some one railroaded, regardless of their affiliation.

He claims to not know what her injuries were from the car accident?

When someone close to you gets into a bad accident of some kind, you tend to know exactly what all the injuries were.

They accepted her into the hospital after a car accident with a "drunk driver" and failed to run any blood tests?

The Doctor came in right before they "pulled the plug" and "saw something" and decided on a new treatment?

This is just absolutely ridiculous.

The interview reprinted there definitely made it seem like Te'o had actually not seen the girl in person. The interviewer suspected something along those lines, as he indicated. It seemed like his answers were intentionally vague, so as not to be lying about not having seen her in person. The weirdness about their "meeting" he describes as HER seeing HIM at a game. I bet that's what she said on Twitter.

There's still the trouble of motive. Why would Tuiasasopo do this? Scam a professional player! Or, don't kill off fake girlfriend until the guy has actually been paid. Tuiasasopo is 22 years old, yes? Think about how young he'd have to have been when this started. How does he get a girl to play along with this on the phone? How does he get multiple voices to talk on the phone to impersonate a family? Someone talked to him so long that he would SLEEP ON THE PHONE! There has to be a strong motivation to do something like that, the time commitment is tremendous.