Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Yes, because I said fire the staff. Unless something happens or the coaching is beyond horrific he should get at least 3 years. Only Illinois fans think Western Michigan is any good and it is funny.

If you said we downgraded from Zook, then yes, they should be fired. If you can already tell that, which you can't.

Who said Western Michigan was great? They aren't an FCS school. We won easy and the coaching was great doing so (aka no normal Zook f*** ups). What more do you want?

One game AND OH MY GOD FIRE THE COACH!!!1!1!!!!!!1

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
With Zook we had a .500 team with NFL talent and a coach who kept you on your toes.

Now we have a .500 team with mediocre talent and a boring coach.

Advantage Zook.

Yeaaaah, I'm sure pretty much anyone would happily take Brown, Buchanan and Spence. When he's healthy, Scheelhaase is better than mediocre too. I'm going to stay out of ripping the coach two games in and arguing about how much Western Michigan sucks, but their talent level isn't exactly weak.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Yeaaaah, I'm sure pretty much anyone would happily take Brown, Buchanan and Spence. When he's healthy, Scheelhaase is better than mediocre too. I'm going to stay out of ripping the coach two games in and arguing about how much Western Michigan sucks, but their talent level isn't exactly weak.

And those are all Zook recruits right?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
And those are all Zook recruits right?

Your argument was that they're currently a .500 team with mediocre talent. Regardless of who recruited them, that's not mediocre talent. Beckman hasn't even been there a full calendar year yet, so you can't remotely judge his recruits.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
Your argument was that they're currently a .500 team with mediocre talent. Regardless of who recruited them, that's not mediocre talent. Beckman hasn't even been there a full calendar year yet, so you can't remotely judge his recruits.

I said that they would be a .500 team with Beckman's mediocre talent. You brought up the talent that Zook brought to Champaign. It's a mediocre football program as time has shown and I don't see how different it will be now as opposed to having Zook coach. More coaching, less talent, still 6-6

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
I said that they would be a .500 team with Beckman's mediocre talent. You brought up the talent that Zook brought to Champaign. It's a mediocre football program as time has shown and I don't see how different it will be now as opposed to having Zook coach. More coaching, less talent, still 6-6

You're missing my point(s)...

1) Those Zook-recruited players didn't suddenly disappear from the roster when he was fired. Beckman still has those guys right now and will still have a lot of Zook players for the next couple of years. If he theoretically got 4 years to prove himself (which would be a bit short), most of that would still be on the backs of Zook recruits.

2) There's a difference between getting fewer stars from rivals and actually having a drop in talent. Guys like Vonte Davis, LeShoure, Mercilus and Brown weren't nearly as hyped as a lot of other guys the Illini signed. Plus there's no evidence yet that Illinois is going to see a major drop in the ratings, Aaron Bailey is a very solid recruit and they already have another 4-star on rivals.

The guy has been on the job for about 8 months so far. It's WAY too early to assume anything.

Beckman has several good recruits and a lot of very solid ones. Considering the amount of negativity surrounding the program was on the level of a Soxtalk game thread when he took over, I'd say that Beckman can recruit a bit. Star ratings aren't everything.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 12:49 AM)
Beckman has several good recruits and a lot of very solid ones. Considering the amount of negativity surrounding the program was on the level of a Soxtalk game thread when he took over, I'd say that Beckman can recruit a bit. Star ratings aren't everything.

He'll recruit Ohio if anything.

Also, Beckman is going to give you an explosive spread offense when he gets his scheme installed, but defense has been his weak spot historically. Right now its clear they are all still learning.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)

What a fall for Markuson. Only a few years ago he was considered one of the best offensive line coaches in college football... Now he's getting fired after 2 games. I thought he would have been a really good fit at Wisconsin.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
Iowa has the dreaded combination of a QB who's not very accurate and takes forever getting rid of the ball, and receivers who have a tough time getting open and a tough time just catching a ball thrown right to them.

They looked real bad offensively.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
What a fall for Markuson. Only a few years ago he was considered one of the best offensive line coaches in college football... Now he's getting fired after 2 games. I thought he would have been a really good fit at Wisconsin.

I havent read a lot into it because Im just so annoyed with the situation. But I think that some of it was Markuson wasnt entirely committed to Wisconsin (at least thats what ive read) so this was a way for both sides to part early. I personally think Bielema f***ed up in hiring and is now scrambling to fix his mess.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
I havent read a lot into it because Im just so annoyed with the situation. But I think that some of it was Markuson wasnt entirely committed to Wisconsin (at least thats what ive read) so this was a way for both sides to part early. I personally think Bielema f***ed up in hiring and is now scrambling to fix his mess.

It doesnt help that most of the braintrust went to Pitt.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
I think the bigger issue was hiring a bunch of spread offense coaches to come to Wisconsin.

Well whats Bielma's specialty? Is he a guy who has his own offense, is he a guy who schemes the defensive side of the ball? He lost the coaches of what was the strongest side of the ball for a long time in Madison, but shouldnt there be some consistency with him still in place?

Hes a defensive guy only. And hes not very smart. I just think he assumed that coaches would be able to call a pro-style offense because that is all he ever seen at Wisconsin. From day 1 people were questioning the hires and how they would work at Wisconsin. The guy he was going to promote to OC, left for Pittsburgh so since then hes kind of just been making bad move after bad move.

I've fallen in love with the Oregon program over the last few years. As someone with no real college allegiance, I decided to dedicate myself to full-out Duckness this season.

I apologize in advance for annoying all of you this season with my front-running.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
I've fallen in love with the Oregon program over the last few years. As someone with no real college allegiance, I decided to dedicate myself to full-out Duckness this season.

I apologize in advance for annoying all of you this season with my front-running.

Fight On!!! :P

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)

It's cool, it wont be "front running" for much longer.