Obamanation Re-election MegaThread

StrangeSox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As expected, the pundits are not talking at all about Barack's actions the last four years, just the words of Michelle's speech tonight. I thought it was a very good speech, she's very likeable. But the fact remains they've been in office four years and it was a s***ty four years. He's going to win (as long as the voters come out and aren't overconfident) but he needs to get off his ass and start working on the economy. Fixing the economy. If the other side blocks his good ideas he needs to do what politicians did in the past and meet with some of these men on the other side and get their support. Play politics. Get a consensus. He's a piss poor leader. He's going to win so he needs to get his act together and do a better job the next four years. Crucial years.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 01:35 AM)
If the other side blocks his good ideas he needs to do what politicians did in the past and meet with some of these men on the other side and get their support.

Greg, their stated goal from the first week he took office was to defeat him. He spent a whole bunch of time trying to get their support on stimulus and the health care bill, and last kept trying to do everything he could to betray his liberal base to strike a "Grand Bargain" that would have led to terrible changes in social welfare spending while getting a small amount of tax increases in return. They simply will not give him their support and reject anything he puts forward, even if it was their preferred policy a few years ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 12:35 AM)
As expected, the pundits are not talking at all about Barack's actions the last four years, just the words of Michelle's speech tonight. I thought it was a very good speech, she's very likeable. But the fact remains they've been in office four years and it was a s***ty four years. He's going to win (as long as the voters come out and aren't overconfident) but he needs to get off his ass and start working on the economy. Fixing the economy. If the other side blocks his good ideas he needs to do what politicians did in the past and meet with some of these men on the other side and get their support. Play politics. Get a consensus. He's a piss poor leader. He's going to win so he needs to get his act together and do a better job the next four years. Crucial years.

as StrangeSox said, a president can't do a thing unless congress supports him. Congress Republicans tried to undermine him at every turn. How can you say he didn't get things done? 1) The GOP didn't let him, and 2) he's gotten things done.

- I'm going to have health insurance thanks to him

- I've had health insurance the last couple years thanks to him

- I've had an easier time paying back my student loans because of him

- He got Osama bin Laden

- He came out in support of gay marriage

- He has stopped the economic plummet, and has started the long, slow climb to recovery

He's also done some things I don't like, like continuing to expand the power of the presidency (something ALL presidents, not just Dems do)

But to say he hasn't accomplished anything is just not true.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
Well youre not going to like my answer.

So let me preface this, I dont mind people who like religion and think its important. I do mind people who think religious beliefs should be reflected in our govt.

For whatever reason there are seemingly more really religious people in the South than North. Because of this you get resistance to social platforms due to religious beliefs (gay marriage is a sin, abortion is a sin). The fact should be, that it doesnt matter its a sin, that it is up to god to judge them.

Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons that are very irrelevant, many people believe it is their job to make sure that the rest of us dont sin. It just makes no sense.

Imagine for a second, that instead of being a predominantly Christian nation, it was predominantly Jewish. Would we want kosher to be law?

Of course not, if I want a bacon cheeseburger, friend shrimp and a milkshake, I as an American should be able to buy that.

If God is going to send me to hell for that, heaven must suck anyway because my heaven includes bacon cheeseburgers. It also includes a lot of other things which either means 1) heaven doesnt exist or 2) Im not going there.

But well find that out later, for today Im running my life how I want to. Not how some thousand year old book tells me to.

Two things. First bolded part...I don't think that is ENTIRELY true. I just think it's different. I know many religious Northerners, but they are 1) less outspoken and 2) more accepting. I think that's the difference. Northerners keep their faith to themselves more. Southerners tend to be more tent-revival. Not all...but as a generalization.

Second bolded part...I have to say, that is the best analogy I have ever seen regarding this issue and I wish I would have thought of that myself...especially since I'm Jewish. DAMMIT and kudos to you.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
as StrangeSox said, a president can't do a thing unless congress supports him. Congress Republicans tried to undermine him at every turn. How can you say he didn't get things done? 1) The GOP didn't let him, and 2) he's gotten things done.

- I'm going to have health insurance thanks to him

- I've had health insurance the last couple years thanks to him

- I've had an easier time paying back my student loans because of him

- He got Osama bin Laden

- He came out in support of gay marriage

- He has stopped the economic plummet, and has started the long, slow climb to recovery

He's also done some things I don't like, like continuing to expand the power of the presidency (something ALL presidents, not just Dems do)

But to say he hasn't accomplished anything is just not true.

Of course he's accomplished things...every president has. I'm not sure that was the posters point, however.

He came out in support of gay marriage because it suits him now...

He didn't get Osama Bin Laden, the Seal Team 6 did, as well as thousands of unnamed military that helped. Obama sat safely in an office building.

He didn't stop the economic plummet, as presidents/congress do not control economies for a multitude of reasons, they can, however, through policy, attempt to sway them or put in temporary stop gaps via enormous spending...but economic control is and always will be an illusion. And if you want to be technical about it, GW passed TARP, which "stopped" the plummet, not Obama. Obama simply carried on what GW started.

** I dislike crediting EITHER of them personally, or either party with preventing a collapse they ALL helped create.

Crediting one person with those points is just insane. Stop.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:54 AM)
Greg, their stated goal from the first week he took office was to defeat him. He spent a whole bunch of time trying to get their support on stimulus and the health care bill, and last kept trying to do everything he could to betray his liberal base to strike a "Grand Bargain" that would have led to terrible changes in social welfare spending while getting a small amount of tax increases in return. They simply will not give him their support and reject anything he puts forward, even if it was their preferred policy a few years ago.

I think you are making Greg's point for him here. Great leaders rally their troops. Why can't Obama rally a few hundred Congressmen? Or inspire the American people? Where were those speeches that got him elected 4 years ago? Where's the clear direction, the focus? I don't know, he won't tell me.

Not saying Romney would be any better, I think he's weak too.

Obama is our President but a leader? No way! The average American's lack of faith in Washington is more than ever! Proof!

Until a President unifies Washington I'm unimpressed. That will be a great man.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 04:56 AM)
I think you are making Greg's point for him here. Great leaders rally their troops. Why can't Obama rally a few hundred Congressmen? Or inspire the American people? Where were those speeches that got him elected 4 years ago? Where's the clear direction, the focus? I don't know, he won't tell me.

Obama is our President but a leader? No way! The average American's lack of faith in Washington is more than ever! Proof!

That is what I'm trying to say, thanks Jerkssticks.

That's it. My personal opinion is there are ways to unify the Republican bastards. From what I understand in the past, it means lobbying. It means meeting personally with some of the Republican bastards and making them feel important and all that and getting their damn support for those bills that are best for the country. Maybe it's impossible. I would pray it's not impossible.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)

Oh give me a break. How the is Obama supposed to unify DC when the Republican goal that they stated and made obvious was to get rid of him? These guys don't disagree with him they hate him. You can compromise on disagreement you cant if someone hates you as a person.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 05:04 AM)
Oh give me a break. How the is Obama supposed to unify DC when the Republican goal that they stated and made obvious was to get rid of him? These guys don't disagree with him they hate him. You can compromise on disagreement you cant if someone hates you as a person.

So there's no hope? It will be hopeless forever? How did Reagan do it? How did some of the others do it? I am no Poly Sci expert but I do recall a bit throughout history of the President meeting with certain leaders on the other side regarding specific issues, sort of like when the President of the US meets with leaders of other countries. It's about stroking egos and making the public realize that Obama just met with Republican leader so and so and if so and so flat out refuses to help, at least he gets the bad press that goes with it. Politics is a game like anything else.

So Kev211, are you saying it's hopeless and the next four years will be more of the same? Obama getting blocked at every juncture with his having NO HOPE of getting anything passed? Great I guess we're all doomed. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm saying this problem seems to have gotten worse. If it's ALL the Republicans' fault, then f*** them. They are ruining our great country; if there's any hope of changing it, Obama better get to work.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
So there's no hope? It will be hopeless forever? How did Reagan do it? How did some of the others do it? I am no Poly Sci expert but I do recall a bit throughout history of the President meeting with certain leaders on the other side regarding specific issues, sort of like when the President of the US meets with leaders of other countries. It's about stroking egos and making the public realize that Obama just met with Republican leader so and so and if so and so flat out refuses to help, at least he gets the bad press that goes with it. Politics is a game like anything else.

So Kev211, are you saying it's hopeless and the next four years will be more of the same? Obama getting blocked at every juncture with his having NO HOPE of getting anything passed? Great I guess we're all doomed. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm saying this problem seems to have gotten worse. If it's ALL the Republicans' fault, then f*** them. They are ruining our great country; if there's any hope of changing it, Obama better get to work.

What I am saying is Obama can't help it if the Republican Party sticks with their stance of the only goal being removing Obama from office. They literally stated that was their #1 goal and refused to work with him to make him look as bad as possible so he wouldn't get re elected. I'm not going to find the quotes but Clinton gave it in his speech tonight. The #1 goal of the republican party the last 4 years has been to make sure Obama doesn't get relected when it should of been lets work with him to fix this mess.

That's not Obama's fault that's a party being hateful and refusing to work with the leader of their country.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 05:15 AM)
What I am saying is Obama can't help it if the Republican Party sticks with their stance of the only goal being removing Obama from office. They literally stated that was their #1 goal and refused to work with him to make him look as bad as possible so he wouldn't get re elected. I'm not going to find the quotes but Clinton gave it in his speech tonight. The #1 goal of the republican party the last 4 years has been to make sure Obama doesn't get relected when it should of been lets work with him to fix this mess.

That's not Obama's fault that's a party being hateful and refusing to work with the leader of their country.

Yeah I heard that and I thought it was during the best part of Clinton's speech. He didn't name the guy, but it was the Speaker or somebody said Republicans' only goal should be to make sure Obama doesn't win again. It's probably the press' fault for not getting that guy a one-way ticket to Aruba forever. Making life miserable on the guy. I don't even know who said that, but that guy is a demon. Our economy is a national crisis and it must be fixed. I know of so many people out of work and I could be fired any day. Of course I could.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Yeah I heard that and I thought it was during the best part of Clinton's speech. He didn't name the guy, but it was the Speaker or somebody said Republicans' only goal should be to make sure Obama doesn't win again. It's probably the press' fault for not getting that guy a one-way ticket to Aruba forever. Making life miserable on the guy. I don't even know who said that, but that guy is a demon. Our economy is a national crisis and it must be fixed. I know of so many people out of work and I could be fired any day. Of course I could.

It wasn't just anyone it was the leader of the republicans in the senate.

Their only goal was to make him a 1 term president, not work with him to fix the country. Despicable. That's what this party has become. Just like Clinton said the guys who just disagreed with Obama and didn't hate them lost their seats and primaries to people that did.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 05:28 AM)
It wasn't just anyone it was the leader of the republicans in the senate.

Their only goal was to make him a 1 term president, not work with him to fix the country. Despicable. That's what this party has become. Just like Clinton said the guys who just disagreed with Obama and didn't hate them lost their seats and primaries to people that did.

It is despicable. I wish those Republicans would all lose their jobs. But I find it impossible to believe there aren't ways to get some of this stuff passed. Isn't that part of the game of politics? Convincing/lobbying the other side? If it is impossible, I guess we're all doomed. Cause four more years of this same s*** is going to cripple everybody. I could see a Depression, not a recession. Too many people out of work and/or having their pay slashed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)

It was a different time.

People used to care about America, now they just care about winning.

Sorry I didnt watch any of the convention, I went out, got drunk and watched football surrounded by college girls. Not my proudest moment, but damn if it wasnt fun.

I love the US, I am willing to compromise, but its a 2 way street.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
It is despicable. I wish those Republicans would all lose their jobs. But I find it impossible to believe there aren't ways to get some of this stuff passed. Isn't that part of the game of politics? Convincing/lobbying the other side? If it is impossible, I guess we're all doomed. Cause four more years of this same s*** is going to cripple everybody. I could see a Depression, not a recession. Too many people out of work and/or having their pay slashed.

They don't lose their jobs they get commended by their party and get crazy support.

You did listen to Clinton tonight right? The country is in much better shape than it was 4 years ago. He proved it and had the stones to call Romney and Ryan out on their straight out lies that Obama hasn't improved the country. When Obama took office we were losing 750k jobs a month, we're now creating jobs every month(4.5 million new jobs in the last 2.5 years). He fixed the the auto industry, he passed healthcare and hes working on student loans and making college affordable again. Don't listen to them say he hasn't done anything because he has and he has the country pointing upwards again.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)

There is always a reckoning. It happened with McCarthy it will happen to these Republicans. You cant have people signing pledges to never raise taxes, you cant have ideologues, you need reasonableness.

Imagine running a business where you pledge that you will never ever raise prices and that if you do raise prices some douche named Grover will try and ruin you.

Thats just bush league, I cant even stand it.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 05:40 AM)
They don't lose their jobs they get commended by their party and get crazy support.

You did listen to Clinton tonight right? The country is in much better shape than it was 4 years ago. He proved it and had the stones to call Romney and Ryan out on their straight out lies that Obama hasn't improved the country. When Obama took office we were losing 750k jobs a month, we're now creating jobs every month(4.5 million new jobs in the last 2.5 years). He fixed the the auto industry, he passed healthcare and hes working on student loans and making college affordable again. Don't listen to them say he hasn't done anything because he has and he has the country pointing upwards again.

Yes I heard it, but so far through my own eyes I haven't seen it. Hopefully Billy's stats are correct.

Any chance the Republicans had of getting my vote died when I started hearing about the tax pledges, etc and ESPECIALLY the collusion to make the chief goal of their terms in office to make Obama a one term President. I also am ashamed that I think there are many voting blocks where that is in fact an acceptable platform to campaign with, too.

Part of me thought "hmm, I wonder what it would be like if we deregulated everything, ended Medicare, cut taxes on everybody, etc" but then I realized that these people are crazy and not looking out for the best interests of America, now. I understand that all politicians will frequently balance their own election chances and other things that are similarly self-serving with the public good...I feel that the Republican party by and large (there are some decent ones out there I suppose) has done away with that and focused way too hard on party politics. They are likewise incredibly unified. I'd imagine the Democrat leaders would like to be similarly combatant, but it is much more difficult to get the entire Democratic party to act as one. I think that's a good thing (for myself, the citizen)

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)

Has BO been President for only 2.5 years or 3.75 years? So has a net 300,000 jobs since he took office. If you are going to use the "we were losing 750k jobs a month when we took office, then you have to use the same metric for jobs created." And that number is 300,000. The auto industry is not fixed. SO who is lying/misleading people? The only thing pointing upward is his nose when he talks to people.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Has BO been President for only 2.5 years or 3.75 years? So has a net 300,000 jobs since he took office. If you are going to use the "we were losing 750k jobs a month when we took office, then you have to use the same metric for jobs created." And that number is 300,000. The auto industry is not fixed. SO who is lying/misleading people? The only thing pointing upward is his nose when he talks to people.

I'm pretty sure Chrysler is a brand again right? Please explain to us how the auto industry was not fixed.

secondly, you're going to hold THIS president accountable for the job situation the first 6 months to a year he was in office? because if so, you are even more ignorant about how politics works than I thought. (remember from your social studies classes in middle school: the president has to have the support of congress to get things done!)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
I'm pretty sure Chrysler is a brand again right? Please explain to us how the auto industry was not fixed.

secondly, you're going to hold THIS president accountable for the job situation the first 6 months to a year he was in office? because if so, you are even more ignorant about how politics works than I thought. (remember from your social studies classes in middle school: the president has to have the support of congress to get things done!)

Democrats do when they assign Bush the blame for the 2001 recession which started 6 weeks after he took office.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)

Depends on how you define fixed. Sales haven't recovered to the pre-recession levels, but they have been steadily recovering overall. Blue bars mark recessions.

auto-sales-big-e1346862720602.jpg

(I do like how the manufactured debt ceiling crisis actually shows up in there)