2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's common for people to suffer inflammation flareups months after a serious joint injury. Urlacher obviously felt okay when he was staying off it, but once he started practicing the joint started swelling up on him, causing pain and discomfort. Hence the need for the surgery.

Hopefully they'll monitor the swelling now and he'll be ready to go in 3-4 weeks time. I think we can get by okay for the first handful of games without him, if our offense is even half as good as advertised.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
It's common for people to suffer inflammation flareups months after a serious joint injury. Urlacher obviously felt okay when he was staying off it, but once he started practicing the joint started swelling up on him, causing pain and discomfort. Hence the need for the surgery.

Hopefully they'll monitor the swelling now and he'll be ready to go in 3-4 weeks time. I think we can get by okay for the first handful of games without him, if our offense is even half as good as advertised.

They'll be 2-2 if they're lucky without Urlacher.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
That knee injury looked horrible when it happened and we were told it wasnt. Now its lingering into the season. Hmm. NIce work Bears.

Kind of like when no one even knew Cutler was injured during the game last season, and all of a sudden he is our for the year...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
The Bears are one of the worst run franchises in sports. This is just a tiny part of it.

Yeah. Just think, when Wirtz the Elder was still alive, we quite possibly had two of the worst-run franchises in the world.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
That knee injury looked horrible when it happened and we were told it wasnt. Now its lingering into the season. Hmm. NIce work Bears.

The bad sign is not the surgery itself. The really bad sign is that he tried to practice with a knee brace and could not. The only reason to wear a knee brace after MCL/PCL injuries is instability. If he felt his knee was unstable and the brace did not help, he could be in trouble. Unlike the ACL there is no good surgery to replace the PCL. It is in the back of the knee and they cannot develop a good surgery. This could be a recurring problem.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
ESPN spent the day celebrating Tim Tebows birthday. So, yeah, that happened

I found out today I share a birthday with Tebow. So yeah I'm looking into getting it changed.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
ESPN spent the day celebrating Tim Tebows birthday. So, yeah, that happened

Its literally the most pathetic thing Ive ever seen. He's a backup QB who will be out of the league in a few years. WTF. They never did this for Tim Couch.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
Its literally the most pathetic thing Ive ever seen. He's a backup QB who will be out of the league in a few years. WTF. They never did this for Tim Couch.

Tim Couch didn't look nearly as dreamy shirtless.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
The bad sign is not the surgery itself. The really bad sign is that he tried to practice with a knee brace and could not. The only reason to wear a knee brace after MCL/PCL injuries is instability. If he felt his knee was unstable and the brace did not help, he could be in trouble. Unlike the ACL there is no good surgery to replace the PCL. It is in the back of the knee and they cannot develop a good surgery. This could be a recurring problem.

Arthroscopic surgery on Brian Urlacher's left knee has not deterred the Bears from pursuing their goal of the middle linebacker starting the regular-season opener Sept. 9.

Urlacher underwent a debridement procedure Tuesday, 26 days before the opener, to relieve pain and swelling in the knee he injured in the final game last season. The decision was made after his knee did not respond sufficiently with more than two weeks of rest since his last practice July 31.

Link

Swiping this from Talkbears:

Debridement is a cleaning procedure. With Urlacher tearing his meniscus there can be floating fragements that create inflammation with movement. Recovery time is minimal because there is minimal cutting and no structural change. I would imagine that we will see him a little in game one and increase reps in games after that with him full time by game three.
Will now await Pt telling me what's wrong with that description.