2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
$100,000,000? With what was paid for the Dodgers, I bet the Bears are a $2 billion company, at least.

I was low balling cause I didnt want to argue the value. There is no way to argue its not worth hundreds of millions. I just didnt want to get in a valuation argument of whether its true a billion dollar company. :)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
And this is the point here. You dont know, yet you continue to blame the front office. From all accounts Lovie was very specific in who he wanted around and it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Just ask Ron Rivera.

What was attractive about this job last January? Angelo was fired, Lovie was on an obvious short leash. What coach would want to tie himself to this team only to be looking for a new job in a year? Sure, the bears could have backed up the truck and offered tons of money to a new OC, but it wouldnt have mattered. This offensive line wasnt going to block anything, nobody was going to reinvent the wheel here.

It was a lame duck job whether you want to admit it or not

You seem to be making arguments that I am not making.

I never said it wasnt a lame duck job, I simply said that there were other options than either Martz or Tice. I also never said that the options may have be limited because of this.

What I did say was that you cant just assume that "it wouldnt have mattered". Because if nothing matters, why are we firing Lovie in the first place?

You seem to be giving the Bears FO the benefit of the doubt. I am simply asking, what have they done to be deserving of this?

For the last few years the Bears offense has been the weakness. Yet the Bears put almost no time into finding a coach for their weakness.

That is terrible. Now maybe it was Lovie. Maybe Lovie wanted Tice ony.

But if that was the case, the Bears should have fired Lovie last year, and hired a New GM/New Coach and started fresh. That is the ultimate argument here, that the Bears FO f***ed this up from the start last year, when they did their backwards hire a GM, but cant fire a HC nonsense.

And Im sorry, but you just cant blame Lovie for that.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a count of hands:

There's a lot of cool things going on people want to talk about, how many want to continue down the path of baseless speculation of who the bears could've hired for OC last year, instead of the current staff?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
$100,000,000? With what was paid for the Dodgers, I bet the Bears are a $2 billion company, at least.

The thing that hurts the Bears' value is being locked in to the smallest stadium in the NFL.

If an ownership group could buy that team thinking about building their own version of Jerry-World, somewhere in the suburbs, where they could expect their ticket revenue to explode...then you're on the right track.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
I was low balling cause I didnt want to argue the value. There is no way to argue its not worth hundreds of millions. I just didnt want to get in a valuation argument of whether its true a billion dollar company. :)

You seem to be making arguments that I am not making.

I never said it wasnt a lame duck job, I simply said that there were other options than either Martz or Tice. I also never said that the options may have be limited because of this.

What I did say was that you cant just assume that "it wouldnt have mattered". Because if nothing matters, why are we firing Lovie in the first place?

You seem to be giving the Bears FO the benefit of the doubt. I am simply asking, what have they done to be deserving of this?

For the last few years the Bears offense has been the weakness. Yet the Bears put almost no time into finding a coach for their weakness.

That is terrible. Now maybe it was Lovie. Maybe Lovie wanted Tice ony.

But if that was the case, the Bears should have fired Lovie last year, and hired a New GM/New Coach and started fresh. That is the ultimate argument here, that the Bears FO f***ed this up from the start last year, when they did their backwards hire a GM, but cant fire a HC nonsense.

And Im sorry, but you just cant blame Lovie for that.

Again, assumption. Emery said he wanted to evaluate the team going forward, nobody has come out and said that Emery was given a directive to keep Lovie around.

Can I ask for a show of hands of who still wants you posting on this board?

You want to disagree and think that the Bears FO is great, that the hiring of Trestman is great, that the Bears can do no wrong, great, go for it.

But I should be allowed to express my opinion that the Bears FO has bungled this decision from the start and that the evidence suggests that fans should be extremely cautious when it comes to trusting anything the Bears FO does.

/shrugs

Disagree or agree, Im not breaking any rules. I guess I find this discussion more interesting than talking about how Forte is going to be MVP and the Bears are going 16-0 after the sign Mike Wallace, trade for Joe Thomas and clone TE Mike Ditka.

If thats fun, have at it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
Just a count of hands:

There's a lot of cool things going on people want to talk about, how many want to continue down the path of baseless speculation of who the bears could've hired for OC last year, instead of the current staff?

Im done. It doesnt matter, Im glad Lovie is gone, im glad that the team has made a concious effort to make the offense better. There will be some bumps in the road, but there would have been bumps in the road if lovie stayed around, just on a different side of the road.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

You want to disagree and think that the Bears FO is great, that the hiring of Trestman is great, that the Bears can do no wrong, great, go for it.

But I should be allowed to express my opinion that the Bears FO has bungled this decision from the start and that the evidence suggests that fans should be extremely cautious when it comes to trusting anything the Bears FO does.

/shrugs

Disagree or agree, Im not breaking any rules. I guess I find this discussion more interesting than talking about how Forte is going to be MVP and the Bears are going 16-0 after the sign Mike Wallace, trade for Joe Thomas and clone TE Mike Ditka.

Who is telling you that you cant post on the board and/or breaking any rules. Pipe down the drama

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Again, assumption. Emery said he wanted to evaluate the team going forward, nobody has come out and said that Emery was given a directive to keep Lovie around.

Then I blame Emery.

But previously people were claiming in this thread that Emery was told he had to keep Lovie for 1 year. I dont know if that is not true.

If it was true, then I blame Emery because last year you either had to fire Lovie or re-sign him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

/shrugs

This is ridiculous. Hes been extremely civil with what hes said to you, you guys just disagree. Whats worse is that both of you know that there isnt any proof to back up some of what youre discussing but at least kyle acknowledges it while you like to just argue for the sake of arguing. If you dont agree with someone you will pick apart everything they say over and over until they dont want to respond anymore.

"You want to disagree and think that the Bears FO is great, that the hiring of Trestman is great, that the Bears can do no wrong, great, go for it."

Statement like that prove my point. Nobody said this stuff. Why do you care so much that people are happy with the job Emery did hiring Trestman? Nobody said the Bears can do no wrong. People are discussing losing Marinelli and what the future holds for the defense, not the Bears going 16-0 or trading for a Mike Ditka clone. Its like you think youre the only one who knows anything and youre talking to a bunch of idiots. So why do you even bother?

/shrugs

Now go ahead and cherry pick what I said.

It appears the joke landed! Settle down, this would have gone down for hours because 1) you are the king of pedantic arguments 2) Clearly you were not going to back down that the bears should have hired Trestman as OC and kept lovie, despite the fact that this didn't happen and there's no way of knowing that it would happen.

So, let's just move on to talking about things that CAN happen, like who will be our DC, our current HC, and other NFL happenings.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
Calm down, people. After all, it's not like it's the White Sox we're talking about here.

Instead, let's talk about how good people think Earl Bennett can be. I think in the right system, he's a 70+ reception guy. Then again, I might be dreaming.

I don't see it. I was happy when we signed bennets extension, but now I have major regret. I'd much rather Jeffery be our #2, or we sign a new #2. And if that happens, bennett is our #4 receiver with a nice contract. He needed to step up last year, but I don't see him as anything more than a nice 3rd down option for Jay.

I'll say that he seemed like he had the least drops of anyone last year.

Really interested who Trestman is friends with for Dcoordinators. Seems like his time at the raiders was his most influential in terms of relationships.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
Would be shocked if it is anyone but Singletary. Problem is, isn't Mike more of a 3-4 guy? Or am I mistaken. He clearly knew talent (just look at San Fran's LB's which were identified under Singletary's watch).

Singletary has really been around a lot of different defenses. Ravens, 49ers, he was ST last year with Minnesota but it isnt as if he isnt watching. And of course the 46.

I think Singletary would be a distraction, but I am not convinced that he would be a terrible DC

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
Really interested who Trestman is friends with for Dcoordinators. Seems like his time at the raiders was his most influential in terms of relationships.

Isn't that when Gruden was the HC there? So like a Fred Pagac or Mike Waufle, maybe?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 07:03 PM)
Singletary has really been around a lot of different defenses. Ravens, 49ers, he was ST last year with Minnesota but it isnt as if he isnt watching. And of course the 46.

I think Singletary would be a distraction, but I am not convinced that he would be a terrible DC

I agree, he's like Tebow. Any Trestman stumbles and the meatballs will be screaming for Singletary.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 07:09 PM)
Isn't that when Gruden was the HC there? So like a Fred Pagac or Mike Waufle, maybe?

Just looked that up on wikipedia. Looks like both are still dline and linebacker coaches. Despite a great coach like Fisher picking up Waufle, I have to say I'd be more excited by Hoke (I misspelled earlier), who did such a great job with our CBs.

Drunkbomber

That quote wasnt to Kyle. It was to Bmags who asked for a show of hands. Which is why I responded in kind.

I think Kyle would agree that I never said anything to insult him and we just merely disagree.

You guys can talk about whatever you want. When a thread takes a turn that I dont enjoy, I dont tell people to stop talking about a topic or "ask for a show of hands", I just do something else and return whenever its back to something I want to talk about.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
Drunkbomber

That quote wasnt to Kyle. It was to Bmags who asked for a show of hands. Which is why I responded in kind.

I think Kyle would agree that I never said anything to insult him and we just merely disagree.

You guys can talk about whatever you want. When a thread takes a turn that I dont enjoy, I dont tell people to stop talking about a topic or "ask for a show of hands", I just do something else and return whenever its back to something I want to talk about.

My mistake.

No problem. Im a Bears fan, I dont like saying negative things about them. But sometimes I have to get out my annoyance before I can move and accept.

Its the 5 stages of grief, I was just beginning to get to the bargaining stage "Ill be okay with this decision if this happens", but with the Marinelli news I went back to the anger stage.