2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Bears coach Marc Trestman recruited Tim Tebow to North Carolina State in 2006 and tutored Tebow in preparation for the 2010 Senior Bowl.

"I believe in the right environment Tim Tebow will figure this out," Trestman said in 2010. "He doesn’t have explosive arm strength, but he has more than adequate arm strength to throw the ball in the NFL and make all the throws. ... If you’re a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you’d love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow." The Jets are expected to release Tebow after the Super Bowl, so Trestman should have an opportunity to sign him in March.

Per Rotoworld

The only way I accept Tebow on any roster is the last man. And in that position his function would be primarily decoy but if you can get the other team to spend time preparing for him that is likely more than you get out of your normal last man.

Im sure Trestman thinks Tebow is a Steve Young waiting to be groomed like a Japanese garden.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:29 PM)
The only way I accept Tebow on any roster is the last man. And in that position his function would be primarily decoy but if you can get the other team to spend time preparing for him that is likely more than you get out of your normal last man.

Im sure Trestman thinks Tebow is a Steve Young waiting to be groomed like a Japanese garden.

There is no circumstance that I would accept Tebow on the Bears. Lets completely forget the fact that he is a QB that cannot do the basic function of a QB, which is throw the ball, and lets point out how much of a distraction he would bring to the team.

No. f***ing. Way.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 06:17 AM)
There is no circumstance that I would accept Tebow on the Bears. Lets completely forget the fact that he is a QB that cannot do the basic function of a QB, which is throw the ball, and lets point out how much of a distraction he would bring to the team.

No. f***ing. Way.

The idea turns my stomach, but what are you saying? You would cease to be a fan?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 07:25 AM)
The idea turns my stomach, but what are you saying? You would cease to be a fan?

No, I wouldnt cease to be a fan. But there is just no way I could get behind it, I would just pray that Jay doesnt have a Mark Sanchez meltdown

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 06:17 AM)

No. f***ing. Way.

If he came in at minimal salary and was told he was the backup QB/tight end/ H back kind of a player it could be worth a shot. You could design some creative plays with him and Cutler on the field. Similar to Kordell Stewart with the Steelers, not the version in Chicago when he was the starting QB.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
If he came in at minimal salary and was told he was the backup QB/tight end/ H back kind of a player it could be worth a shot. You could design some creative plays with him and Cutler on the field. Similar to Kordell Stewart with the Steelers, not the version in Chicago when he was the starting QB.

From what we've heard Trestman could be just the coach to get the most out of that situation too. If Lovie / Tice were still here I would think that Tebow would be a big mistake. With Trestman not so much.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)

He's too much of a sideshow. edit: especially for a first-year coach in a veteran locker room.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
This is devastating.

Wow. Marinelli is so loyal the Lovie that he would quit a coordinator position to take a linebacker position coach? He should just stay with the Bears until Lovie gets an HC position in the next couple of years then leave.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Wow. Marinelli is so loyal the Lovie that he would quit a coordinator position to take a linebacker position coach? He should just stay with the Bears until Lovie gets an HC position in the next couple of years then leave.

I don't know, Marinelli is a pretty old vet. He may be at the point in his career where he doesn't want to work on his relationship with his employer. He might just want to be around whom he is comfortable with.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
So it appears that Marinelli is not staying. That's a huge bummer. If the "plan" was to go with an offensive guy as HC and then let Marinelli run the defense, how the heck do you not already know he's going to stay? That's bush league... especially if he leaves to be the d-line coach in Dallas. He'd take a lesser position to leave the Bears? That doesn't speak well for our new coach.

This would be brutal.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
Not a smart decision by RM................Lovie is gone he needs to get over it!

Why is it not a smart decision? He probably doesn't need the money. Why work someplace you don't want to work if you don't have to? Seems to me, if he wouldn't be happy, or would be happier elsewhere, its a very smart decision.

Edited by Dick Allen