2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
I don't like either of those ideas. Mcdaniels won't work anyway (unless Bears plan on dumping Cutler). Chip Kelly, love him in college, but just don't think his schtick will work in the pro's. If Angelo were around, I'd say we'd probably hire Saban.

Funny thing is, how do we know that McDaniels was wrong about Cutler now?

As for Kelly, I know I am in the minority, but he's a guy I would be willing to take a gamble on.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
I'm glad he's taking responsibility. So what do the Bears need to happen to make the playoffs. Clearly they need to win 2 in a row, but what else needs to happen?

Not sure, but I think they'll get in if they win 10 games...and seeding isn't that big of a concern this year, IMO. But we suck anyway.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
I'm glad he's taking responsibility. So what do the Bears need to happen to make the playoffs. Clearly they need to win 2 in a row, but what else needs to happen?

I think that if all the teams wound up 10-6, the Skins and Cowboys and Giants and Vikings would wind up having tiebreaker advantages over the Bears. Basically, the Bears need to wind up with more wins than them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
At least Andy has a bit of a clue as to how an offense should be run, but yeah, none of these retreads does anything for me.

I am ready to bring in someone innovative with fresh ideas.

I'd like us to interview Chip Kelly...s***, I'd even consider talking to Josh McDaniels...

I'd actually be okay with this. Not sure how he'd translate to the NFL and he'd have to tweak his scheme to fit the NFL better, but the guy knows his offense.

And I'd maybe consider McDaniels too if he had absolutely zero control of personnel decisions. I still can't believe how much he ruined Denver's team. Oh and yes, Cutler would have to be gone in this scenario.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
But he at least does a lot of high percentage passing plays. He understands the game so well. I really think he's a great great mind.

He is a great offensive mind. Same with Sean Payton, same with Norv Turner, same with Mike Martz. What's one thing they all have in common? Answer: they all need an offensive line to run their systems. The problems with the Bears are not with the head coach. It's with the offensive line first and foremost, then with the old defense. Flat out, you need better players. And maybe a new offensive coordinator.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)

If they win out they need NY and or Washington and Minnesota to lose a game....at least the way i see it...still very possible

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
He is a great offensive mind. Same with Sean Payton, same with Norv Turner, same with Mike Martz. What's one thing they all have in common? Answer: they all need an offensive line to run their systems. The problems with the Bears are not with the head coach. It's with the offensive line first and foremost, then with the old defense. Flat out, you need better players. And maybe a new offensive coordinator.

Philadelphia's offensive line is terrible and they're in the top 10 in offense this year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
If I'm Lovie, I can't believe my livelihood is going to be changed by this f***ing referee crew

Bad call? Yes. But the Bears did not lose the game on that one play. They were clearly outplayed and if it wasn't for terrible decisions on the part of McCarthy that game is a blow out - putting Crosby out there twice for 40+ yard attempts when he can barely make a PAT right now (the second one being on 4th and 1 situation), awful punt return trick play when leading by 11 points n the 4th quarter, and giving the ball to grant late in a game when he's been sitting at home half the season watching games on tv all while with Alex green was running the ball well all game

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
I think that if all the teams wound up 10-6, the Skins and Cowboys and Giants and Vikings would wind up having tiebreaker advantages over the Bears. Basically, the Bears need to wind up with more wins than them.

We hold the tiebreaker on the Cowboys because we beat them head-to-head. Vikings would have to beat GB to reach 10 wins, but stranger things have happened. Have to dig in more to the Giants and Skins schedules, but I think they will end up having better conf records than us.

Heck, even look at what he's doing with Foles. Foles isn't any good. Reid has made any QB he had better, imo. He had McNabb look decent his last year in Philly before he completely fell apart in Washington. Ditto for the guy on the Cards (whose name is escaping me at the moment) who is terrible. Getting Reid would be a freaking awesome.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
Heck, even look at what he's doing with Foles. Foles isn't any good. Reid has made any QB he had better, imo. He had McNabb look decent his last year in Philly before he completely fell apart in Washington. Ditto for the guy on the Cards (whose name is escaping me at the moment) who is terrible. Getting Reid would be a freaking awesome.

(Kevin Kolb).

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
Bad call? Yes. But the Bears did not lose the game on that one play. They were clearly outplayed and if it wasn't for terrible decisions on the part of McCarthy that game is a blow out - putting Crosby out there twice for 40+ yard attempts when he can barely make a PAT right now (the second one being on 4th and 1 situation), awful punt return trick play when leading by 11 points n the 4th quarter, and giving the ball to grant late in a game when he's been sitting at home half the season watching games on tv all while with Alex green was running the ball well all game

There were 5-6 terrible calls. One took a td away from us. Another gave a td to them. Another two took a drive away from us at the end of the game. Another extended one of theirs and allowed them to take another 1:47 off the clock.

This was one of the poorer officiated games you will see in the NFL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)

I think Foles actually is fairly good. But I agree in re his offensive mind. Agree with the earlier poster though who said he will end up in San Diego.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
Ok, they're the only tiebreaker the Bears would have, the Bears would be behind all the other ones.

yep...

Minnesota has Houston and the Pack...Can't see them winning out.

Washington has Philly and Dallas..Since we own the tie break over the Boys gotta hope they beat Washington.

Giants have Philly and Baltimore..Gotta hope Baltimore stops their losing streak and wins at home.

If they win out its still possible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
(Kevin Kolb).

Thats it. Point being, Reid has made many QB's look good. He hasn't had one like Cutler (outside of maybe McNabb who obviously was very talented). I know the hot ticket is him going to San Diego but you never know.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
There were 5-6 terrible calls. One took a td away from us. Another gave a td to them. Another two took a drive away from us at the end of the game. Another extended one of theirs and allowed them to take another 1:47 off the clock.

You didn't think any of those offensive pass interference calls on Jeffery were penalties? What about the one where he grabbed shields by the face mask and threw him down and they called illegal contact? That was the first play of the drive you referenced that "one took a TD away from us." The bears still scored 3 on that drive. I saw 3 terrible calls in that game. 2 in favor of Green Bay and 1 in favor of Chicago. Did I miss something?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)

To be honest, I've seen it all year. All the talk of the replacement refs, if the microscope was on these guys, people would be saying the same thing. The refs really have a hard time in this league and to be frank, they've been pretty bad all year (its been pretty noticeable). I am very excited about Alshon/Marshall. Alshon has really good body control and hands. He uses his physicality and I think if the Bears can get Knox back (plus try to pick up a speed guy) they should be decent at wideout (no need to dump Earl). Big thing is going to be improving the oline, getting a better offensive mind, and of course finding a TE.

I realize Finley is an inegma who drops stuff but he's a darn good athlete and would be a major upgrade.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
You didn't think any of those offensive pass interference calls on Jeffery were penalties? What about the one where he grabbed shields by the face mask and threw him down and they called illegal contact? That was the first play of the drive you referenced that "one took a TD away from us." The bears still scored 3 on that drive. I saw 3 terrible calls in that game. 2 in favor of Green Bay and 1 in favor of Chicago. Did I miss something?

By the spirit of the rule, yes, I thought some of those could be called. By the way they have been calling that rule for the last 5 years, no, I did not think any of them should have been called.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)

The illegal contact was a bad call, however, the 3 offensive PI's were not offensive PI's. To be frank, the only one you could even make the argument with was the one on the TD and that when you look at the replay was not and should not have been called, especially when you are in press coverage, etc.

On the flip side, the no call on the 4th down was bad too, but I actually wouldn't have had a problem with a no call (had it not been for them calling ridiculous PI's). The PI call on the TD the Packers got (the call on Conte) was absolute garbage.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
To be honest, I've seen it all year. All the talk of the replacement refs, if the microscope was on these guys, people would be saying the same thing. The refs really have a hard time in this league and to be frank, they've been pretty bad all year (its been pretty noticeable). I am very excited about Alshon/Marshall. Alshon has really good body control and hands. He uses his physicality and I think if the Bears can get Knox back (plus try to pick up a speed guy) they should be decent at wideout (no need to dump Earl). Big thing is going to be improving the oline, getting a better offensive mind, and of course finding a TE.

I realize Finley is an inegma who drops stuff but he's a darn good athlete and would be a major upgrade.

I watch an awful lot of football and I haven't seen the refs scrutinize a wideout for contact or pushing off like that all year. You maybe see one of those called, but not three.