2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real winner today, was ME. I literally ate so much terrible food. And then ate too much awesome food.

I took the hummus recipe in the healthy food thread, substituted roasted red peppers for the jalapenos, went less on the cayenne, and then destroyed it with some celery and carrots. I made so much of it that I OMFG ITS SO GOOD

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
I think that should have been called but what a terrible play call with the game on the line.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
Both players were making contact. Good no-call.

By the rulebook definition, it was probably a penalty because the defender continued contact for 7 yards instead of 5.

But man, I know refs shouldn't call the game differently depending on the circumstances, but if we added up all the plays over the year where contact continued for 7 yards instead of 5, the season would be non-stop illegal contact penalties.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 10:24 PM)
And once again, Phil Simms is just an idiot...telling us all that he would have taken a timeout if he were the Ravens with two and a half minutes remaining because it was such a certainty that the Niners would score the go ahead TD and this would leave the Ravens more time remaining.

I swear, I don't quite get how the guy could have played for so long and broadcasted for even longer and still not understand the strategy of clock management.

There's nothing wrong with his strategy. In fact, there are plenty of coaches who would have thought the same. You burn the timeout there and the 9ers either score before the 2 minute warning, or they're stopped before the 2 minute warning. Either way, you are pretty much guaranteed to at least have 1 2 minute drive to march down the field and do whatever it is you need to do.

Of course, they didn't need that strategy because Frisco didn't convert the 2pt conversion.

BTW, I'm glad Ray Lewis won on his way out. If nothing else, it makes most of Soxtalk mad.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
There's nothing wrong with his strategy. In fact, there are plenty of coaches who would have thought the same. You burn the timeout there and the 9ers either score before the 2 minute warning, or they're stopped before the 2 minute warning. Either way, you are pretty much guaranteed to at least have 1 2 minute drive to march down the field and do whatever it is you need to do.

Of course, they didn't need that strategy because Frisco didn't convert the 2pt conversion.

BTW, I'm glad Ray Lewis won on his way out. If nothing else, it makes most of Soxtalk mad.

The remarkable thing though is how much that strategy would have backfired if they tried it.

If the Ravens had taken a TO there before the 2 minute warning, and everything went the same way otherwise...they'd have handed S.F. the ball back with ~:35 on the clock, instead of :04. Could have literally cost them the game.

Guess that's why you pay a coach good money. Glad I didn't have to make that call.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
The remarkable thing though is how much that strategy would have backfired if they tried it.

If the Ravens had taken a TO there before the 2 minute warning, and everything went the same way otherwise...they'd have handed S.F. the ball back with ~:35 on the clock, instead of :04. Could have literally cost them the game.

Guess that's why you pay a coach good money. Glad I didn't have to make that call.

It basically was a great move to call TO if SF were to score, not so great if they didn't score. If SF scored at the end and won the game, he would be getting hammered for not calling them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
It basically was a great move to call TO if SF were to score, not so great if they didn't score. If SF scored at the end and won the game, he would be getting hammered for not calling them.

Like I said, I'm glad I'm not paid to make that call. I'll go climb into a volcano for free, but man...picking out what to do in that spot...that's a challenge.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
Like I said, I'm glad I'm not paid to make that call. I'll go climb into a volcano for free, but man...picking out what to do in that spot...that's a challenge.

I'd gladly take John Harbaugh's salary and make that call 10 times a day. I'd sleep fine at night in my very expensive bed.

I can't wait to see Kaepernick grow. The group of young QBs in the NFL right is astonishingly good. Might be good enough to save them from the impending backlash over concussions in the next 10 years.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
I don't see the 49ers winning the NFC West for at least 3 years.

Why's that?

We can be impressed at what the Ravens did to slow down Kaepernick on the running game, but he's still a QB in his 10th start. A full offseason as the assumed starter could make him even more effective out of the passing game.

Their defensive front is young and very talented, and I don't believe they're going to be losing many of those guys for cap reasons any time soon.

Their skill positions aren't filled with elders. Moss and Gore are up there in years, but they have another RB on the roster already, and Moss isn't their main threat.

Their O-line has 1 person over 30.

And to top that off, they're loaded with draft picks this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
Why's that?

We can be impressed at what the Ravens did to slow down Kaepernick on the running game, but he's still a QB in his 10th start. A full offseason as the assumed starter could make him even more effective out of the passing game.

Their defensive front is young and very talented, and I don't believe they're going to be losing many of those guys for cap reasons any time soon.

Their skill positions aren't filled with elders. Moss and Gore are up there in years, but they have another RB on the roster already, and Moss isn't their main threat.

Oh Balta, that joke flew right over your head, circled around and flew over it again

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
Oh Balta, that joke flew right over your head, circled around and flew over it again

We're still on that line of jokes? Is the target even coming around to read it? I was hoping we were back to actually discussing football.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
Why's that?

I was just making a joke. Someone on here said the Packers wouldn't win the NFC North for three years.

All kidding aside, I think things will be a lot more difficult for the 49ers next year.

A much improved Seahawks team. I also think the Rams will be better and the 49ers already struggle with them.

Also, the 49ers have had pretty much no injures now two years in a row. That probably won't continue.

I still think they will be a playoff team next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
We're still on that line of jokes? Is the target even coming around to read it? I was hoping we were back to actually discussing football.

LOL dont be salty you missed the joke

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
I was just making a joke. Someone on here said the Packers wouldn't win the NFC North for three years.

All kidding aside, I think things will be a lot more difficult for the 49ers next year.

A much improved Seahawks team. I also think the Rams will be better and the 49ers already struggle with them.

Also, the 49ers have had pretty much no injures now two years in a row. That probably won't continue.

Yay, football talk!

Perhaps what interests me the most about the 49ers this offseason is what they do about their backup QB Spot. It's obvious they're going to let Alex Smith go for money, but that leaves them with only Kaep as a QB...and he hasn't been put through the full season as a "Running QB".

I could actually see the Seahawks taking a step back next year. They got big time performances out of some guys who had "Supplements", they definitely caught some teams by surprise with Wilson, they had the weakest schedule in that division, and they got some help from the replacement refs.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)

THE 49ERS WILL WIN SUPER BOWL XLVIII!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Yay, football talk!

Perhaps what interests me the most about the 49ers this offseason is what they do about their backup QB Spot. It's obvious they're going to let Alex Smith go for money, but that leaves them with only Kaep as a QB...and he hasn't been put through the full season as a "Running QB".

I could actually see the Seahawks taking a step back next year. They got big time performances out of some guys who had "Supplements", they definitely caught some teams by surprise with Wilson, they had the weakest schedule in that division, and they got some help from the replacement refs.

One thing I forgot about with the Seahawks is Chris Clemons tearing his ACL late in the year. Really underrated player and I'm sure will miss some time next year.

I think it's pretty scary, both Seattle and San Fran still have significant growth opportunity in skill positions (WR) and still had such nice offensive output. I just don't see their D's crumbling with the talent they have at QB and in the trenches.