2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible timeout management by Jim and the 49ers. And questionable play calling on the last 4 plays.

Burn your first timeout in the 3rd quarter while way behind. You have to play like you'll get back in it, and need it to stop it late. You knew that would come back to bite them.

So they move forward with 2 and have both on the last drive. You either use both, or use none. Saving one didn't do anything, you knew you'd get the ball back with no time left if you only had one left. They take a timeout before 3rd down (IIRC) before almost getting a delay of game. The call to Crabtree was also terrible - throwing the ball 2 yards and had he caught it he was going nowhere.

Would have liked to not have used a timeout in case you didn't get in, and leave yourself with 40ish seconds left if you get a stop. But since they did, you might as well have used your last one before 4th down.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)
Terrible timeout management by Jim and the 49ers. And questionable play calling on the last 4 plays.

Burn your first timeout in the 3rd quarter while way behind. You have to play like you'll get back in it, and need it to stop it late. You knew that would come back to bite them.

So they move forward with 2 and have both on the last drive. You either use both, or use none. Saving one didn't do anything, you knew you'd get the ball back with no time left if you only had one left. They take a timeout before 3rd down (IIRC) before almost getting a delay of game. The call to Crabtree was also terrible - throwing the ball 2 yards and had he caught it he was going nowhere.

Would have liked to not have used a timeout in case you didn't get in, and leave yourself with 40ish seconds left if you get a stop. But since they did, you might as well have used your last one before 4th down.

I didnt mind the first and goal play but the 2nd and 3rd down calls were terrible. I think I wouldve ran on 2nd and goal because if you to the 2 or 3 yard line, you can still run on 3rd down. But once 2nd down was incomplete then the running threat is gone.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 3, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)

And once again, Phil Simms is just an idiot...telling us all that he would have taken a timeout if he were the Ravens with two and a half minutes remaining because it was such a certainty that the Niners would score the go ahead TD and this would leave the Ravens more time remaining.

I swear, I don't quite get how the guy could have played for so long and broadcasted for even longer and still not understand the strategy of clock management.

Edited by iamshack