2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
Merrill Hoge on Griffin v. Luck

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/i...-throws-pro-day

He's seeing the same things Im seeing.

There have been all kinds of players who were extraordinarily talented that busted simply because they weren't able to adapt to a pro style offense and couldn't make the reads in a pro style offense. I absolutely love RGIII and there are a few reasons I think he has the higher ceiling of the two players, but Luck is more ready, he's a safer pick, he's still got the potential to be a top 5 or 10 QB in the league (you can make any comparison you want between John Elway and Peyton Manning coming out...to me, he shares characteristics of Roethlisberger and Eli Manning). On the other hand, when I see RGIII, I see a lot of Donovan McNabb but better accuracy. If Donovan McNabb completed 62% or 64% of his passes over his career as opposed to 59%, he almost certainly ends up winning atleast one Super Bowl and he could very well be heading into retirement as a Hall of Famer instead of a merely a great player.

There is no wrong answer. The safe pick is Luck, and that is still the pick I make if I am Indy without a second thought.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.csnchicago.com/football-chicago...tm_medium=email

Wright on Bears' radar?

March 21, 2012, 7:13 pm

SCOTT KRINCH

After acquiring Brandon Marshall in a trade last week with the Dolphins, it looks like the Bears may not be done with bolstering the wide receiver position. According to NFLDraft Scout's Dane Brugler, Lovie Smith and Darryl Drake were on hand to watch Kendall Wright's pro day in Waco, Texas and dined with the Baylor star on Wednesday night.

@dpbrugler

Dane Brugler WR Kendall Wright had dinner with the Bears coaches last night and will visit Chicago early April. Won't get past 19. #NFLDraft

Mar 21 via Twitter for iPhone

Wright is the second confirmed prospect that Smith has dined with. The other being Georgia Tech wideout Stephen Hill, but the Hill meeting was before the Bears traded for Marshall.

The 5-10 Wright had 108 receptions, 1663 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2010 as the 'Go-to-guy' for Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III.

Scouts were questioning Wright after a disappointing 4.61 time in the 40-yard dash during the NFL Combine, but his time improved dramatically to 4.43 during his pro day on Wednesday.

Brugler thinks that Wright could be the Bears selection if he's there at No. 19 in April's NFL Draft.

Dane Brugler

dpbrugler Dane Brugler

Texans coaches also spent a considerable amount of time with WR K. Wright today. Would need to trade up, but don't rule it out #NFLDraft

Mar 21

Jacob Nørtov

JacobNoertov Jacob Nørtov

to 17-22ish? RT @dpbrugler Texans w/ K. Wright today. Would need to trade up, but don't rule it out

Mar 21

in reply to @JacobNoertov↑

@dpbrugler

Dane Brugler @JacobNoertov If Wright gets past CIN at 17 the Texans need to jump to 18 in front of Bears

Mar 21

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
If Stephen Hill and Kendall Wright are both on the board when the Bears pick, I want Hill.

With all due respect, Stephen Hill is freaking terrible. He's a workout warrior, that's it. He couldn't catch a thing when at Ga Tech. I've never seen someone drop so many easy passes. He makes Edward Scissorhands look like a good receiver.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
How about fixing a different position with that 1st round pick?

No problems with that, but if the Bears are targeting a WR and those are my choices, I go with the beast, not the midget. Despite Fathoms claims :P

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
Wright is 5-10. Enough with the short guys. He's not even fast, either. No no no.

I have no problem with them turning him into the next Eddie Royal for Cutler in that sense. Already have your 6'4 freak in Marshall and Bennett is 6'0. Knox is probably done and Hester is more of a screen guy/ST player anyways. Much rather have him than Hill anyways, despite his physical freakness (as fathom already eluded to his hands). I think they'll use 6'7 Davis more in the red zone as well.

For the record though, I'm with LittleHurt. I'd rather see them go with a different position (OL or DE) in the 1st.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
No problems with that, but if the Bears are targeting a WR and those are my choices, I go with the beast, not the midget. Despite Fathoms claims :P

I can agree with that, would much rather have the bigger wideout. But after getting Marshall, I think there some other spots that should be addressed with that first pick.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Brad Biggs ‏ @BradBiggs

#Bears have agreed to terms with RB Michael Bush on a 4-year contract. Total value $14 million. Deal includes $7 million guaranteed.

Nice bruiser to go along with Forte. Not too expensive either, I like it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Brad Biggs ‏ @BradBiggs

#Bears have agreed to terms with RB Michael Bush on a 4-year contract. Total value $14 million. Deal includes $7 million guaranteed.

Kind of a blah move to me.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
Kind of a blah move to me.

I wouldn't trust Khalil Bell and Marion Barber again. Bell's alright, but it looks like he coughs the ball up way too much.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Nice bruiser to go along with Forte. Not too expensive either, I like it.

and not a ton of mileage for a guy who has been in the league 4 years - good goal line back....pretty solid deal all around.

I have to think this means bad things for forte -franchise forte this year, maybe again next year, draft the next long term RB in the next 2 drafts, and have bush around to back up Forte for now, and maybe start if need be for a year after Matt is gone

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
and not a ton of mileage for a guy who has been in the league 4 years - good goal line back....pretty solid deal all around.

I have to think this means bad things for forte -franchise forte this year, maybe again next year, draft the next long term RB in the next 2 drafts, and have bush around to back up Forte for now, and maybe start if need be for a year after Matt is gone

I think the Bears made the right business decision in not giving Forte a deal last year. Running backs don't last forever and a long-time (not to mention pricey) investment in any RB is a risk. It certainly sucked that Forte hasn't gotten his big payday yet, but he's making, what, $6-7 million this upcoming year?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
I think the Bears made the right business decision in not giving Forte a deal last year.

They offered him a deal. It was a good one, too. He stupidly rejected it and gave up cash that could already be in the bank that he'll never make up.

Im going to be very curious to see what the offense looks like under Tice next year.

Forte has struggled running the ball between the tackles in his career - and we all know that is what Tice likes to do. When Martz was here, Forte got to run on the edges quite a bit, where he excelled running in space, getting behind pulling guards and tackles. He struggled in the between the tackles, in I back formations under Turner (3.9 and 3.6 avg before martz, 4.5 and 4.9 with Martz). Im thinking with Tice the bears knew they need another back who was more of a north south RB.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
Wright is 5-10. Enough with the short guys. He's not even fast, either. No no no.

Have you watched him play? Wright is an absolute burner. Not sure what happened at the combine, but the 40 is so overrated anyway. The slightest mis-step at the start and he would already have 0.2 seconds knocked off his time... Regardless, once you put the pads on, this kid absolutely flies by everyone else. And it's not like he was playing against slow, poor competition. In a passing league like the Big 12, there is plenty of speed on defense to keep up with those offenses.