Konerko: Sox can be successful without making playoffs

Soxfest

Too many negative words and phrases from Sox personnel.

Play as hard as you can, and maximize your talent. Period.

I just don't want to hear them say "baseball is a game of failure". Yeah, I get it, but that shouldn't come out of your mouth. It's almost like they have a built in excuse for losing, which is just not a good thing to put in young player's minds.

I think people put too much stock in these types of statements. He has said in the past that he credits his improvement and consistentcy in recent years to not putting undue pressure on himself. I think statements like these are more for his teammates. "Hey guys, don't get bogged down with the pressure of making the playoffs. Just play well, and that's a good year." I think he's trying to alleviate pressures that may be there for some of the rookies, and some veterans. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
I think people put too much stock in these types of statements. He has said in the past that he credits his improvement and consistentcy in recent years to not putting undue pressure on himself. I think statements like these are more for his teammates. "Hey guys, don't get bogged down with the pressure of making the playoffs. Just play well, and that's a good year." I think he's trying to alleviate pressures that may be there for some of the rookies, and some veterans. Just my opinion.

Agreed, pretty standard stuff.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5029017.story

I disagree not making the playoffs is not successful IMO and too have the Captain say it makes it worse!

completely disagree. this team is not built for the playoffs, thus, growth of our young guys = successful in 2012

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
If Chris Sale, Addison Reed, and Dayan Viciedo live up to their potential, I will be satisfied for 2012. Those are three elite talents that by themselves could put the White Sox on the map to relevance again.

I'd be half surprised if Sale put up 150 good innings, but I'll be really surprised if Viciedo comes out and puts up like a .900 OPS. Between being moved around from positions and the thumb injury last year, there's still development that needs to happen with him. Hopefully we can play him enough this year that he gets a chance to really do that developing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
If Chris Sale, Addison Reed, and Dayan Viciedo live up to their potential, I will be satisfied for 2012. Those are three elite talents that by themselves could put the White Sox on the map to relevance again.

2012 is all about the kids. Anything else is gravy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
Too many negative words and phrases from Sox personnel.

Play as hard as you can, and maximize your talent. Period.

I just don't want to hear them say "baseball is a game of failure". Yeah, I get it, but that shouldn't come out of your mouth. It's almost like they have a built in excuse for losing, which is just not a good thing to put in young player's minds.

This is how the mentally strong players get. If you remember early in PK's career he had wild swings of success and failure because he couldn't deal with the amout of failure. You have to relize it's a game of failure and the ones who deal with it the best become the better players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
I'd be half surprised if Sale put up 150 good innings, but I'll be really surprised if Viciedo comes out and puts up like a .900 OPS. Between being moved around from positions and the thumb injury last year, there's still development that needs to happen with him. Hopefully we can play him enough this year that he gets a chance to really do that developing.

I'm going with 175. I think He'll get there this year. Then Molina will come up and clean up the last group of starts. I think this is KW's plan when he said that Molina will definitely see the show this year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)
I'm going with 175. I think He'll get there this year. Then Molina will come up and clean up the last group of starts. I think this is KW's plan when he said that Molina will definitely see the show this year.

They may push him to 175, but I said "150 good innings". I think he'll be breaking down past that. They'll still give him starts to keep him going, like they did with D1 back in 2007, but he'll clearly only have so much left.

And I reiterate, I don't think Molina belongs anywhere near the big leagues this year. Especially with other options like Castro, Stewart, and Axelrod who can clean starts up if we need to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
They may push him to 175, but I said "150 good innings". I think he'll be breaking down past that. They'll still give him starts to keep him going, like they did with D1 back in 2007, but he'll clearly only have so much left.

And I reiterate, I don't think Molina belongs anywhere near the big leagues this year. Especially with other options like Castro, Stewart, and Axelrod who can clean starts up if we need to.

i bet you Chris Sale has an ERA under 4 - in fact - I'll go so far as to say bet he has the best ERA of our staff come the end of the year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)

I think you'll see some of those "bad" innings ealy on when he's adjusting to starting in the MLB. He'll top out at 5 innings and people on this board will complain like they did at Peavy. He will need to build strength and endurance early on because he hasn't started with this intensity before.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
I think you'll see some of those "bad" innings ealy on when he's adjusting to starting in the MLB. He'll top out at 5 innings and people on this board will complain like they did at Peavy. He will need to build strength and endurance early on because he hasn't started with this intensity before.

What you need to remember though is that we're not "All in" this season. We're not sacrificing things like valuable Chris Sale pre arb years by trying to put the best MLB roster possible together. If we lose games this year because we're trying to stretch Sale out and develop him into a starter, well, the priority is turning Sale into a starter, not winning as many games as possible.

Last season, we were still "All in" when that crap was happening. Lose the games this year if you have to, just make sure you develop the kids while doing so.

If we were going to lose games in order to build up Peavy's arm, then Sale should have been starting at Charlotte, and we should have been selling harder at the deadline.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
That's a ridiculous statement.

I don't think it is. He's pitched a total of 290 innings, period, with no high school or college background beforehand. He's barely reached double-A ball, only 22 innings at that level. He only threw 130 innings last year, and that was a jump up from 80 the year beforehand, so 150 total would still be being careful, and that's a full AA season.

I really can't see any situation, no matter how much he dominates, where I'm going to want him seeing the bigs this year. If he rips up AA ball in the first half and then gets promoted and then rips up AAA for another 2 months, he's going to be right at what should be his innings limit, where actually having him make a start or two seems excessively risky and overkill.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
What you need to remember though is that we're not "All in" this season. We're not sacrificing things like valuable Chris Sale pre arb years by trying to put the best MLB roster possible together. If we lose games this year because we're trying to stretch Sale out and develop him into a starter, well, the priority is turning Sale into a starter, not winning as many games as possible.

Last season, we were still "All in" when that crap was happening. Lose the games this year if you have to, just make sure you develop the kids while doing so.

If we were going to lose games in order to build up Peavy's arm, then Sale should have been starting at Charlotte, and we should have been selling harder at the deadline.

I agree with you. However, I will bet that we will still see people on this board complaining about why Robin and Coop left him in even though he's shown that after 5 innings his ERA goes up 2 runs and his BAA is up 200 points.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
I don't think it is. He's pitched a total of 290 innings, period, with no high school or college background beforehand. He's barely reached double-A ball, only 22 innings at that level. He only threw 130 innings last year, and that was a jump up from 80 the year beforehand, so 150 total would still be being careful, and that's a full AA season.

I really can't see any situation, no matter how much he dominates, where I'm going to want him seeing the bigs this year. If he rips up AA ball in the first half and then gets promoted and then rips up AAA for another 2 months, he's going to be right at what should be his innings limit, where actually having him make a start or two seems excessively risky and overkill.

I still think he will get a look in the MLB at the end of the season. If they have to they will decrease his innings in the middle of the year to spread them out, which from a strengthening and endurance buolding perspective is a good idea.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
I still think he will get a look in the MLB at the end of the season. If they have to they will decrease his innings in the middle of the year to spread them out, which from a strengthening and endurance buolding perspective is a good idea.

If they have to take steps like that at AA to preserve his arm mid season or earlier...then he shouldn't even make Charlotte this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 12:07 AM)

You sure would hate to get into a situation where we rush another prospect and he suffers for two or three years trying to learn at the big league level

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5029017.story

I disagree not making the playoffs is not successful IMO and too have the Captain say it makes it worse!

I don't see why some see it as a negative. It is the truth yet he isn't saying they already gave up. Realistically our cvhances may not be that great, but time and the production of a few past non performers will tell

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
You sure would hate to get into a situation where we rush another prospect and he suffers for two or three years trying to learn at the big league level

If you're in a situation like last year, where you're doing everything possible to win, then fine, burn the guy in the bullpen like we did with Sale. But if we have time with a guy like Molina (and we do), there's zero reason to start all the arbitration clocks on him right now. He's incredibly raw, he's thrown probably fewer innings in his life than some guys have done in high school, and he's never been above AA.

If he earns it, then we can talk next year about a rotation spot early in the season, even better after the super 2 deadline. There is zero reason to push this guy upwards aggressively if we go into this season having cut $25 million from the roster and traded away guys like we did. Save the service time and have him ready to go when he arrives.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
If you're in a situation like last year, where you're doing everything possible to win, then fine, burn the guy in the bullpen like we did with Sale. But if we have time with a guy like Molina (and we do), there's zero reason to start all the arbitration clocks on him right now. He's incredibly raw, he's thrown probably fewer innings in his life than some guys have done in high school, and he's never been above AA.

If he earns it, then we can talk next year about a rotation spot early in the season, even better after the super 2 deadline. There is zero reason to push this guy upwards aggressively if we go into this season having cut $25 million from the roster and traded away guys like we did. Save the service time and have him ready to go when he arrives.

I thought Sept. callups don't get service time credit.