2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
ISU plays Drexel tonight in a big early season game. Nice to have some competition on the schedule in the early season after Jankovich and his cupcakes.

Wouldn't be shocked if both teams are on the bubble come March, it really is a big early season game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Since I grew up a few miles from DePaul's "home" arena, I've always hoped they could be good again, I enjoyed the years with Q, Williams, & Simmons. I guess this is not the year, ouch, that's a bad loss.

It really is strange that with all of the talent in the city of Chicago, they can't have one good college basketball team. I keep hoping DePaul will bouceback too, remembering all of the way back to the Rod Strickland days.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
It really is strange that with all of the talent in the city of Chicago, they can't have one good college basketball team. I keep hoping DePaul will bouceback too, remembering all of the way back to the Rod Strickland days.

This makes it sound like there are a lot of basketball teams in Chicago that have the potential to be good and get some of those recruits.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
This makes it sound like there are a lot of basketball teams in Chicago that have the potential to be good and get some of those recruits.

There is no reason that one of DePaul, Loyola, or Northwestern can't have a good basketball team on a regular basis. I get the standards thing for Loyola and Northwestern, but DePaul can take anyone.

Two of those teams have no chance of ever being a "top-tier" program. Loyola is never going to get the top-tier recruits playing in the Horizon League, the best they can hope for is finding a couple of guys that fall through the cracks and make a run for 3 or 4 years. Northwestern can't admit a number of the better players in the area and the ones they can recruit go to places that have actually made the NCAA tournament and don't have horrendous facilities.

The only one that remotely has a chance is DePaul, and they have a number of issues working against them as well...

-Illinois has clearly passed them in relevance over the last 20 years. Chicago is a solid recruiting area, but not strong enough to support two supposedly elite basketball programs, especially when the true blue bloods have been poaching the top tier for a while now.

-Sort of related to the last one: their national appeal is basically non-existant since they're never on TV. Even Northwestern gets more ESPN exposure. Would a kid from New York that they're trying to recruit even know where DePaul is before you told him? That can't help.

-Their stadium situation is far from ideal.

-The program has some history, but it pre-dates the birth of all of these prospects.

-They play in the Big East, which is an odd fit for their area. Instead of playing regional schools like Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin, they're going out East for most of their games. It also doesn't help that the Big East is getting weaker.

Those things aren't easy to fix without some major changes (bringing in a big-name coach, new stadium/facilities, ect.)

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
Two of those teams have no chance of ever being a "top-tier" program. Loyola is never going to get the top-tier recruits playing in the Horizon League, the best they can hope for is finding a couple of guys that fall through the cracks and make a run for 3 or 4 years. Northwestern can't admit a number of the better players in the area and the ones they can recruit go to places that have actually made the NCAA tournament and don't have horrendous facilities.

The only one that remotely has a chance is DePaul, and they have a number of issues working against them as well...

-Illinois has clearly passed them in relevance over the last 20 years. Chicago is a solid recruiting area, but not strong enough to support two supposedly elite basketball programs, especially when the true blue bloods have been poaching the top tier for a while now.

-Sort of related to the last one: their national appeal is basically non-existant since they're never on TV. Even Northwestern gets more ESPN exposure. Would a kid from New York that they're trying to recruit even know where DePaul is before you told him? That can't help.

-Their stadium situation is far from ideal.

-The program has some history, but it pre-dates the birth of all of these prospects.

-They play in the Big East, which is an odd fit for their area. Instead of playing regional schools like Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin, they're going out East for most of their games. It also doesn't help that the Big East is getting weaker.

Those things aren't easy to fix without some major changes (bringing in a big-name coach, new stadium/facilities, ect.)

The admissions thing only goes so far. Duke, Stanford, and Notre Dame do just fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
The admissions thing only goes so far. Duke, Stanford, and Notre Dame do just fine.

Stanford is the hardest to get into for an athlete, as you have to be admitted there as a regular student I believe. Not sure if that's changed the last few years.

I remember hearing a story that back in the 90s Tommy Amaker interviewed with Northwestern for their head coaching job. He handed them the full transcripts of two potential recruits and asked if he could recruit them. Northwestern said no, they didn't meet the academic requirements. Those two recruits were Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)

Stanford is hardly a consistently good basketball team, they had no tournament appearances between 1942 and 1989 and haven't made it in the last 4 years (and aren't a complete lock this year). Mike Montgomery was a hell of a coach, so far the results are highly mediocre when he isn't involved.

Notre Dame has been fairly consistently in the tournament since it started, so they have had a much easier time convincing people that they can win at a reasonable rate.

Duke might have been comparable 30 years ago, it's not remotely so now. They've been a top-tier program for 25 years and they make some serious concession for their athletes (Sean Dockery being a popular example, who got in with a 2.3 GPA and a 15 ACT). I know everyone does, but no discussions I've had with NU people suggests they go anywhere near THAT low.

It's not JUST admissions, it's admissions combined with decades of a lack of financial support that left them with the worst facilities in the Big Ten and the embarassment of zero tournament appearances in the history of the program. Like I said earlier, it takes something fairly miraculous to turn things around like that.