2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
Penn State's Tim Frazier out for the year with an Achilles injury. Sucks for him. I don't know how competitive PSU was gonna be in the B1g this year anyway, but now they have no chance.

I have no idea what their underclassmen/incoming recruiting class look like, but perhaps now he can take a medical redshirt and maybe, just maybe, make the NCAAs next year?

Or maybe they'd be even worse next year.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrap your head around these numbers!!

138 points

52-108 FG

27-71 3pt FG

These are the numbers of ONE player in a game tonight!!!

Jack Taylor of Grinnell vs. Faith Baptist Bible

New NCAA All-Division record. That's mind boggling, no matter who you are playing. That's 2.7 shot attempts per minute and more than one made shot per minute!!

Georgetown is pretty tough. They start 4 guys 6'8 or taller and have great length. Making it hard for IU to make interior passes. Georgetown getting a lot of deflections even on the perimeter.

I'll be glad with the Cody Zeller POY talk slows. He's a very good player and makes other guys around him better, but he still has a lot of toom to improve. Once he starts stepping out and drilling 15' jumpers and hits better than 50% at the FT line (he was much better last year!), then I'll jump back on that train. Can't wait until Perea and Jurkin (even if just for defense and rebounds) starts playing and see how his size and length may help free Zeller up. Right now, Watford and Hollowell are the other two inside players and they are both realistically wings.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
Otto Porter is the best player on the floor right now. Nice choke job by IU.

They got conservative and tried to milk the clock. I hate it when teams do that and it disrupts their offensive flow. Didn't help Yogi Ferrell missed two FT's including the front end of a one and one. Sadly, the only two he missed the whole game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
Georgetown should have gone for the win in regulation. You arent going to win many games when you have 20 less free throws.

Yeah, I haven't paid close enough attention to complain about the refs, but that is a troubling free throw difference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
Georgetown should have gone for the win in regulation. You arent going to win many games when you have 20 less free throws.

Numbers are deceiving. Only 8 fouls difference between the two teams as of 39.4 seconds to go. And G'town has fouled at least 3-4 times to put IU on the line. IU played a lot of zone in the first half. No shooting fouls as a result as G'town shot a bunch of 3's and didn't drive to the bucket.

But I do agree, they should have gone for the win.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Numbers are deceiving. Only 8 fouls difference between the two teams as of 39.4 seconds to go. And G'town has fouled at least 3-4 times to put IU on the line. IU played a lot of zone in the first half. No shooting fouls as a result as G'town shot a bunch of 3's and didn't drive to the bucket.

I watched the entire game.

As I said, whether you think it was good reffing, bad reffing or indifferent, when you are facing multiple guys fouling out, you arent going to win many games that get extended. Georgetown isnt that deep, they needed to steal a win in regulation.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Good reffing, bad reffing, when you have multiple guys on the brink of fouling out, you just go for the win and call it a day.

Strangely enough, I thought Georgetown got away with a ton of fouls in the first half and first part of the 2nd. May have just been the way it seemed because of the Hoyas length, but they reached in and deflected the ball a lot. The difference in FT's has everything to do with style of play and Georgetown fouling to put IU on the line.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
I watched the entire game.

As I said, whether you think it was good reffing, bad reffing or indifferent, when you are facing multiple guys fouling out, you arent going to win many games that get extended. Georgetown isnt that deep, they needed to steal a win in regulation.

No argument there. I thought the same exact thing at the time. Was afraid we were going to get beat by at 3.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
Strangely enough, I thought Georgetown got away with a ton of fouls in the first half and first part of the 2nd. May have just been the way it seemed because of the Hoyas length, but they reached in and deflected the ball a lot. The difference in FT's has everything to do with style of play and Georgetown fouling to put IU on the line.

I think both teams slapped a ton and there could have been a million foul calls.

The bigger issue was when the fts were 10-1, even though both teams had the same amount of fouls. That is just very unusual, to have the same amount of fouls, but 10x more fts. I felt a few times Zeller was given the benefit of being "POY" candidate on both offense and defense.

Georgetown has no one to blame but themselves, they could have gone for the win, but didnt. Im not going to make excuses for Georgetown, they had their shot, they didnt take it.