2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
Going to be a lot of that in a "slow paced" bigten... IU not even hitting jumpshots and killing it. Scary.

I talked a little bit about my views on the game earlier in the thread. UNC plays uptempo (Roy Williams' style) and they just aren't that good this year. They're never good defensively either. IU was bound to crush them because UNC plays right into their hands. UNC is a team that got killed by Butler. They shouldn't be ranked IMO.

IUs defense didn't really impress me much in the first half and that was a weakness last year too. They can sure it up, but I'm still curious to see how they do when they play a team that slows things down and makes IU defend. They're defending much better right now in the second half, but UNC just looks lost.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
Indiana cherry picking their way to victory tonight.

Yup, sure cherry picked that 24 point margin. Seriously? Zeller runs the break as well as any big man in college basketball.

This win is what I was hoping for, but not necessarily expecting. Hollowell continues to look terrible; I'm hoping he'll look a lot better when he can just go in at the 3 instead of trying to play the 4 or even the 5.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
Yup, sure cherry picked that 24 point margin. Seriously? Zeller runs the break as well as any big man in college basketball.

This win is what I was hoping for, but not necessarily expecting. Hollowell continues to look terrible; I'm hoping he'll look a lot better when he can just go in at the 3 instead of trying to play the 4 or even the 5.

Hollowell will be fine... next year. The skills are there. Right now the game is too fast for him to stay under control. I see his minutes dwindling when Perea and Elston are back. Would not shock me if he doesn't handle it well and transfers when staring at what's coming in next year. Not predicting that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Time will tell.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
Well Maryland is legit very talented but different year, same crap for NU.

Meh, Maryland was around 100 in both offensive and defensive efficiency coming into this game. They can't shoot (they hit like 6 jumpers the whole game, three of which came from the one random dude off the bench that did nothing but shoot 3's) and they turn the ball over a lot (15 per coming in, think they had 11 in the first half). It didn't matter though because they killed NU on the glass and got a ton of easy shots.

Couple of thoughts...

-NU is going to win like 5 conference games if they keep playing like that. They played decent defense in the first half to keep it close, but it was atrocious in the second half and their offense was brutal. WAY too may ugly jumpers. What's concerning is the offense seems to be a trend, they haven't exactly lit up the scoreboard the last few games either.

-Alex Len looked highly ordinary. I'm not totally sure how he put up those numbers against Kentucky or how he's being mentioned as a top-5 pick. He botched a bunch of convertable plays down low and didn't seem to make a big difference on D. He kind of reminds me of B.J. Mullens. Dezmine Wells is the guy that killed them, he got to the rim at will.

-Did Maryland steal those shoes from the wicked witch? Good lord, that's a sparkly red.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 06:02 AM)

Relax, you guys take everything so seriously. They went up one when I made that comment.

Indiana looked very good last night. Big Ten has this locked now I would think.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
Relax, you guys take everything so seriously. They went up one when I made that comment.

Indiana looked very good last night. Big Ten has this locked now I would think.

His shooting wasn't all there yet, but man, Yogi Ferrell is one quick SOB.

That is about as complete of a college basketball team as I have seen in a while. They get out and run when they get the chance. If that doesn't work they have a post up game, slashers, and shooters to take apart a team in the half court, plus the patience to make the right play. The crazy thing is they still have two big guys to get back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
That is about as complete of a college basketball team as I have seen in a while. They get out and run when they get the chance. If that doesn't work they have a post up game, slashers, and shooters to take apart a team in the half court, plus the patience to make the right play. The crazy thing is they still have two big guys to get back.

I think it's a bit too early to proclaim that. They have only played one decent team and the game went to overtime. Offensively they are pretty sick, although they still struggle with entry passes to Zeller on occasion. I'm just not sold on them being a national championship team until they prove they can actually defend well.

They remind me of UNC teams of years past that eventually got bounced because of defense. The two Roy Williams teams that actually won the national championship had veteran point guards, veteran big men (May and Killer-T although Zeller is almost as good as them) and a ton of NBA talent filling out the roster overall.

It doesn't look like IU will be really tested again until B1G play (Butler lost by double digits to Illinois on a neutral court, although I guess it could be tricky). They'll be number 1 for a while, but I'm still not completely sold.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
I think it's a bit too early to proclaim that. They have only played one decent team and the game went to overtime. Offensively they are pretty sick, although they still struggle with entry passes to Zeller on occasion. I'm just not sold on them being a national championship team until they prove they can actually defend well.

They remind me of UNC teams of years past that eventually got bounced because of defense. The two Roy Williams teams that actually won the national championship had veteran point guards, veteran big men (May and Killer-T although Zeller is almost as good as them) and a ton of NBA talent filling out the roster overall.

It doesn't look like IU will be really tested again until B1G play (Butler lost by double digits to Illinois on a neutral court, although I guess it could be tricky). They'll be number 1 for a while, but I'm still not completely sold.

The defense can do a lot more risk taking with Zeller on the back line to clean things up. It doesn't have to be nearly as tight with a true shotblocker on the front line.

I hate Indiana, but I was "with" them last night when in the middle of the broadcast Dukie V couldn't stop blowing Coach K on air, and in the midst of a 20-25 pt blow out, proclaimed that no matter what Duke was his #1 team in the country. That guy is so obnoxious. I can't wait for Duke to get bounced early from the tournament this year. Unfortunately, because UNC is not good, they'll easily win the ACC and coast to an easy #1 seed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
The defense can do a lot more risk taking with Zeller on the back line to clean things up. It doesn't have to be nearly as tight with a true shotblocker on the front line.

True shotblocker? He averaged 1.2 blocks per game last year and is averaging 1.6 this year (after 4 yesterday). He's solid, but he's not exactly Anthony Davis or Noel. Leaving it up to him to contest layups because of gambling could leave him vulnerable to getting into foul trouble too. Just seems risky, especially for a guy that isn't a dominant shot blocker and is the main focal point of the offense.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
I hate Indiana, but I was "with" them last night when in the middle of the broadcast Dukie V couldn't stop blowing Coach K on air, and in the midst of a 20-25 pt blow out, proclaimed that no matter what Duke was his #1 team in the country. That guy is so obnoxious. I can't wait for Duke to get bounced early from the tournament this year. Unfortunately, because UNC is not good, they'll easily win the ACC and coast to an easy #1 seed.

UNC might struggle this year because they had FOUR first round picks!!! Yeah, we get it, Dick. Stop making excuses.