2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
Yeah. I know it's early, but Michigan looks like the best team in the big 10 thus far. By a decent margin too.

Michigan looks solid, but the lineup Northwestern had to use was pretty horrible. Their best player (Crawford) is out for the year with a shoulder injury and their second best player (Hearn) missed the game with an ankle injury. Michigan probably had the 6 best players on the floor. I was half-expecting them to lose by 40.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be at the game tomorrow, here's hoping Paul feels like going nuts again. If I had to guess, I'd say OSU pulls it out by 5-7, just don't have a good feeling.

One positive is that we struggle against teams that drive well, but OSU is not that team and Craft isn't that guy. But I don't really know how we'll have any answer for Thomas and could see us going pretty deep on the bench if/when everyone's racking up fouls.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
I'll be at the game tomorrow, here's hoping Paul feels like going nuts again. If I had to guess, I'd say OSU pulls it out by 5-7, just don't have a good feeling.

One positive is that we struggle against teams that drive well, but OSU is not that team and Craft isn't that guy. But I don't really know how we'll have any answer for Thomas and could see us going pretty deep on the bench if/when everyone's racking up fouls.

I'd be more confident if they were playing well at home, but they actually play better away from home. Or maybe it's the fact that they play to the level of their competition. Who knows. I'm excited either way and think it'll be a good game.

Maybe Paul will go off for 45 again?

From what I've read/seen this year, it seems like he's more consistent, but he was always a guy that could go for 40 or 4, and you didn't know which it would be.

Where's that consistency coming from this year? Better shot selection? General improvement from the offseason? Groce's style better suits him?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
I'd be more confident if they were playing well at home, but they actually play better away from home. Or maybe it's the fact that they play to the level of their competition. Who knows. I'm excited either way and think it'll be a good game.

Yeah, playing at home has been like March Madness, survive and advance, and that's not a recipe for success when you aren't playing quality BT opponents. I think your point about playing to competition is also true.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)

All we do is drive. Our shooting is horrific outside of Thomas. We are trying to be a fast break team because of Shannon Scott's emergence. The Bucks just aren't very good yet, I think Home team holds serve on this one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
All we do is drive. Our shooting is horrific outside of Thomas. We are trying to be a fast break team because of Shannon Scott's emergence. The Bucks just aren't very good yet, I think Home team holds serve on this one.

I should have clarified and said PG driving, as that's specifically what we've been bad at. Granted I haven't seen a ton of OSU games, but Craft hasn't been a big penetration guy when I've seen him. Driving in the fast break is a bit different then if we can get you in a half court set.

You say you're not very good, but the numbers and your record/losses say otherwise.

Nothing will really surprise me tomorrow, a 10 pt win or a 15 point loss and anything in between.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
Maybe Paul will go off for 45 again?

From what I've read/seen this year, it seems like he's more consistent, but he was always a guy that could go for 40 or 4, and you didn't know which it would be.

Where's that consistency coming from this year? Better shot selection? General improvement from the offseason? Groce's style better suits him?

I think he just had a good run of games to start the season. The last 3-4 games he's come back down to earth. The only main difference is that he's taken on the role as the go-to guy in big situations, and he's purposefully driving to the basket more, but he still has a tendency to not move without the ball and rely too much on his jump shot. That's the problem with the hole team really except for Abrams.

In thinking about the last few games, the recipe to beat Illinois is to slow it down and make them work in the half court. Teams that tried to run got outrun (everyone in Maui and Gonzaga), except for Missouri. But Missouri didn't stop Illinois from scoring, it was mainly that Illinois couldn't stop dribble penetration and Missouri eventually made a couple of plays on consecutive possessions to pull it out. Georgia Tech, Purdue, Auburn and all the crappy small schools deliberately took 25 seconds per possession and stopped Illinois' transition game. And that resulted in grind it out wins or in the case of Purdue a loss.

I think if OSU wants to run, Illinois can beat them and it'll be a game in the high 70's/80's. If not, Illinois loses by 4-6 points in the 60's/low 70's.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
I should have clarified and said PG driving, as that's specifically what we've been bad at. Granted I haven't seen a ton of OSU games, but Craft hasn't been a big penetration guy when I've seen him. Driving in the fast break is a bit different then if we can get you in a half court set.

You say you're not very good, but the numbers and your record/losses say otherwise.

Nothing will really surprise me tomorrow, a 10 pt win or a 15 point loss and anything in between.

Craft's shot has gotten worse so he's a drive and pass guy, however Scott is the better PG. Lenzelle is the guy that can shoot with Thomas but both are streaky. We struggle in the paint defensively. Good but not as good as the last 3 years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
Craft's shot has gotten worse so he's a drive and pass guy, however Scott is the better PG. Lenzelle is the guy that can shoot with Thomas but both are streaky. We struggle in the paint defensively. Good but not as good as the last 3 years.

Great, something we can't take advantage of.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)

Lenzelle Smith Jr. went off on IU last year in Columbus. He couldn't miss. I hate that guy!

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
Did anyone see the ref try to make out with Groce to end the 1st half? It was funny.

Illinois not playing that great (in stretches they certainly are) and still mauling OSU.

Yeah that was funny, running up to Groce with his hands behind his back.

Illinois has looked ok (you're right, it's been in stretches), but I've been really unimpressed with Ohio State. I haven't seen them much this year, I think this is the first time I've really watched them.

If Egwu plays anywhere near this level the Illini are going to be tough to beat. He doesn't even need to score all the points just be active on the boards and keep his defender honest with the short jump shot and it will be a huge bonus. On a side note, I'm going to miss Brandon Paul even with his faults but will be happy to see Griffey/Richardson go.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 09:57 PM)
Yeah that was funny, running up to Groce with his hands behind his back.

Illinois has looked ok (you're right, it's been in stretches), but I've been really unimpressed with Ohio State. I haven't seen them much this year, I think this is the first time I've really watched them.

Yeah, they look completely terrible.