2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois just became irrelevant. We benefited from some calls early, and the officiating was simply bad (not biased), but the calls at the end hurt us for sure. Getting the ball back with 21 seconds down 2 would have been nice and very possibly changed the result.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
In all honesty, Illinois looks very poorly coached.

That's exactly how they played tonight, I agree. We're a few games like this from the target appearing on Groce. I think he's a good coach, but this team hasn't played like it for a few games now.

The reason we don't get calls is we are being manhandled. We are weak and it is hard for a ref to tell the difference between a foul and us just being p*****s. Hard nosed guys like Byrd get the benefit of the doubt and we don't play like that.

In general, we will struggle to win games in which there are few shooting fouls called.

We have the worst frontcourt in the Big 10 and one of the worst fontcourts in America. Our guards are good enough to beat anyone when they are on but if they are off at all it is hard to win. McClaurin is terrible and Griffey is worthless other than the occasional made jumper. Egwu has upside but is awful right now. None of those guys should play more than 15 minutes on a good team.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
That's exactly how they played tonight, I agree. We're a few games like this from the target appearing on Groce. I think he's a good coach, but this team hasn't played like it for a few games now.

The reason we don't get calls is we are being manhandled. We are weak and it is hard for a ref to tell the difference between a foul and us just being p*****s. Hard nosed guys like Byrd get the benefit of the doubt and we don't play like that.

In general, we will struggle to win games in which there are few shooting fouls called.

This is as much on the players as it is Groce, they are weak mentally and have been since BW brought them in.

Groce won't have any target on him unless they lose every single game the rest of the way, he's done too well so far and has recruited very well for the position the team was in.

Our inside game is awful right now, we have no one who can box out.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 03:59 AM)
This is as much on the players as it is Groce, they are weak mentally and have been since BW brought them in.

Groce won't have any target on him unless they lose every single game the rest of the way, he's done too well so far and has recruited very well for the position the team was in.

Our inside game is awful right now, we have no one who can box out.

If the bad losses pile up, and this team misses the tourney, there will be a target on him. Hell, reading the Illini boards tonight, it seems that is already the case.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 11:02 PM)
If the bad losses pile up, and this team misses the tourney, there will be a target on him. Hell, reading the Illini boards tonight, it seems that is already the case.

Wel then people are forgetting we were terrible last year and lost our only Big 10 caliber big man.

Seriously, fans overreact way too much. This loss hurts, but it isn't the end of the world (road Big Ten games are tough no matter what).

This was a team that was all but forgotten going into this year, and Groce had us at the cusp of the top 10. Go a minimum 8-10 in the Big Ten and we'll be fine.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 10:45 PM)
Beat Ohio at home on Saturday and all is forgotten.

Winner.

20-4 run in the middle of the 2nd half by Purdue, that was one ugly stretch of offense. Kind of hard when you go what, 9 minutes with one made FG? 1-15 or close to that in that stretch.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
I'll say it before the Illinois guys: Byrd never should have been given that timeout because he was falling out of bounds.

Edit- and yeah, he was still sliding too.

Not sure what the college rule but in high school, maybe two years ago, they changed the rule that if you are sliding with the ball, you can call a timeout and it's not a travel. But if you roll on the ground, its a travel.

I didn't see the play you are talking about either.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
Seriously, fans overreact way too much. This loss hurts, but it isn't the end of the world (road Big Ten games are tough no matter what).

This was a team that was all but forgotten going into this year, and Groce had us at the cusp of the top 10. Go a minimum 8-10 in the Big Ten and we'll be fine.

I hate when the word "upset" is used for a home team's conference win, especially when the conf season just started. Its almost always inapplicable, and I beleive it was last night.

Illinois goes .500 in conference and makes the Dance and its a great year. I want them to gain tourney experience and show improvement over the course of the conf. schedule. Maui and Gonzaga were nice, but the "preseason," just like last year, means little when it comes to the B1G. Its still a transition year, and the brutal conf schedule will be a huge reminder.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
I hate when the word "upset" is used for a home team's conference win, especially when the conf season just started. Its almost always inapplicable, and I beleive it was last night.

Illinois goes .500 in conference and makes the Dance and its a great year. I want them to gain tourney experience and show improvement over the course of the conf. schedule. Maui and Gonzaga were nice, but the "preseason," just like last year, means little when it comes to the B1G. Its still a transition year, and the brutal conf schedule will be a huge reminder.

Seriously Purdue sucks. If Illinois is decent at all, that was an upset win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)

Yeah, Illinois played about as badly as they have played all year and still were right there at the end. McClaurin boxes out Byrd with 21 seconds left and it's Illinois ball, down 2. Point is, no matter what the line said, this Illinois team is much better than Purdue (not saying this is anything better than a mediocre Illinois team, but this is a very down year for Purdue).

With that being said, when the Illini play poorly it's because they don't stop dribble penetration. Purdue (and also Missouri) got so many easy looks because nobody on Illinois stops the ball. Then Egwu needs to rotate over and try to block the shot (he had 5 yesterday). The Illini are slow to rotate down, or the guy rotating down is too small/tenative to contest the weak side rebound and you give up an easy basket. This has been a problem for Illinois since Chester Frazier graduated. Stop the dribble penetration against Ohio State, especially with respect to Craft, and the Illini match up fairly well (note that Deshaun Thomas is going to get his 25+). Seems like if you turn Craft into a jump shooter, Ohio State is beatable.

My biggest concern with the Illini is that they have a tough three game stretch coming up. Ohio State and MN at home, Wisconsin on the road. You go 0-3 over that stretch and will the team be mentally tough enough to right the ship? On the other hand, you win 2 of those games, and the Purdue game is largely forgotten.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)

Well it didn't upset or surprise me. Illinois hasn't beaten Purdue in years, and Mackey's always tough place for a conference W. But if they lose to Purdue in Champaign, yeah.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
Michigan playing real well tonight.

I kinda feel bad for Northwestern. At least 1/4 of the crowd at all their conference games is rooting for the away team.

Yeah. I know it's early, but Michigan looks like the best team in the big 10 thus far. By a decent margin too.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
Err...refs made a bad call me thinks.

That was so tough. When it was .1, it was in his hand. When they moved to the next frame it was 0.0 and out. But not quite sure when it changed over and where it was. Can't really tell without that super Fox slo-mo s***.