2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
Defense. I still say that'll be their downfall.

I don't know which way to go on this one. I'll readily admit that from what they've show so far, both this year and previous years, shouldn't exactly inspire confidence. It's been solid in general, and they do usually do a good job locking down top scorers (Oladipo in particular), but there's way too many fundamental lapses that give up easy buckets. But at the same time, I still think they can become a very good defensive team by tournament time, or at least a team good enough to win a title given how explosive the offense is. I can see it happening because the athleticism and will to work/improve is definitely there; that's been evidenced in other areas. But if they can't improve, it definitely has a chance to be a fatal achilles heel.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
Defense. I still say that'll be their downfall.

Maybe, but every title team has a weakness. I had a team that was an epic fail a few years ago. It's not a guarantee but they have all the pieces at the right time. They are fantastic.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 01:34 AM)
Maybe, but every title team has a weakness. I had a team that was an epic fail a few years ago. It's not a guarantee but they have all the pieces at the right time. They are fantastic.

Can we please stop with the "fantastic" talk? They've played two solid teams so far this year and both games went to OT. They're 1-1 in those two games. Do they look amazing against cupcakes? Yes. But can't we just wait until they actually do something that warrants calling them fantastic?

All title teams have a weakness, but seldom is it defense. It's a big reason Roy Williams took a while to win a national championship (and his teams were much more loaded than this IU team).

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Can we please stop with the "fantastic" talk? They've played two solid teams so far this year and both games went to OT. They're 1-1 in those two games. Do they look amazing against cupcakes? Yes. But can't we just wait until they actually do something that warrants calling them fantastic?

All title teams have a weakness, but seldom is it defense. It's a big reason Roy Williams took a while to win a national championship (and his teams were much more loaded than this IU team).

Partially agree with you, but you act like this team is a finished product. Their best interior defender (Perea) is just coming off suspension. He had 10 boards and 2 blocks in 12 minutes last night. He's going to make a huge difference, along with Elston coming back (probably our 2nd best interior defender). There's still a few months left to mold this team together and I have no doubt they will, as long as they stay healthy. They have the best perimeter defender in the country in Oladipo. I don't think another guard even comes close. Hell, Brad Stevens just came out and said this week that Victor was the best defensive player he's ever seen in college basketball. with the well oiled machine that is their offense, I think there's plenty of time to fine tune the defense (which has already been pretty damn good this year) now that Perea and Elston are back.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
Partially agree with you, but you act like this team is a finished product. Their best interior defender (Perea) is just coming off suspension. He had 10 boards and 2 blocks in 12 minutes last night. He's going to make a huge difference, along with Elston coming back (probably our 2nd best interior defender). There's still a few months left to mold this team together and I have no doubt they will, as long as they stay healthy. They have the best perimeter defender in the country in Oladipo. I don't think another guard even comes close. Hell, Brad Stevens just came out and said this week that Victor was the best defensive player he's ever seen in college basketball. with the well oiled machine that is their offense, I think there's plenty of time to fine tune the defense (which has already been pretty damn good this year) now that Perea and Elston are back.

They have a big ten season in front of them. If they can't learn to play defense effectively, they're going to be beaten up until they learn it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
Gutless bulls*** by the refs, McClaurin does nothing and gets t'd up along with Bowers. Just awful.

In fairness before the TV timeout that preceded those free throws Bowers made a fast break layup and McLaurin put his weight into him in a sort of shove as Bowers ran back to the other side of the floor. Whatever those two had been getting into developed before that play, that was just the end of it.

Neither team brought their A game. Pressey was effective even though he couldn't make a shot and Paul wasn't lights out, but got to the line a bunch. Both players showed that even on off nights they bring a lot of value.

Phil Pressey with the most impressive 3-19 performance you will ever see. That was a fun game to watch, Illinois wasn't gonna win them all, DJ & BP3 went 3-17 from behind the arc, it happens. Just be ready to play at the UC next weekend, Auburn just lost home to Winthrop so that needs to be an easy W.

And back off all you Tyler Griffey haters.

God was Tyler Griffey frustrating. He has a habit, on defense, of making the wrong decision and making it too late. Our entire strategy against Pressey was questionable, though. We didn't need to hedge those ballscreens and give him an open post player to pass to when he is completely unable to score.