2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
I think McGary had 4 fouls, right? If nothing else, you've got to protect him. Look how close he came to that last tipin.

Mitch had four fouls for most of the 2nd half. Also I think Morgan was the one who almost had the tip at the end.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
This is kind of a side note, but who came up with the one and one anyway? It's such a goofy rule and it decided today's game.

Decides a lot of games, really. Makes hitting free throws a the end of every game way more important.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Just assume the Big Ten is better than everyone else. They've been beating the living crap out of each other for the last 3 months. These would be 1-2 loss teams if they were in the same conference as the Zags.

Unless IU comes out with the number 1 overall, every one of these teams will be underrated.

We've been hearing that about the Big East for years until this year and they lose half their teams inside the first weekend.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
There isn't even anyone I feel comfortable picking to the Final 4.

I agree totally. This could be one of those years where a 10/11/12 seed makes the final 4. It could also be the year that a 1 seed finally loses to a 16.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
Decides a lot of games, really. Makes hitting free throws a the end of every game way more important.

I know, Michigan has no one to blame but themselves. The two layups at the end have to fall, too.

Just think about what the one and one rule is. We just fouled you, but you only get one free throw because you weren't shooting and we have enough fouls for you to go to the line, but not enough for you to automatically get two free throws. However, if you make the first you get two after all. WTF? It creates drama at the end of high school and college basketball games so I guess it adds that element and you won't hear many coaches complain about it because just make your free throws, but the logic behind the rule is truly strange.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 06:33 PM)
I know, Michigan has no one to blame but themselves. The two layups at the end have to fall, too.

Just think about what the one and one rule is. We just fouled you, but you only get one free throw because you weren't shooting and we have enough fouls for you to go to the line, but not enough for you to automatically get two free throws. However, if you make the first you get two after all. WTF? It creates drama at the end of high school and college basketball games so I guess it adds that element and you won't hear many coaches complain about it because just make your free throws, but the logic behind the rule is truly strange.

The other thing to remember is that they're playing a 20 minute half, not 2 12-minute quarters.

I don't think I'd like just giving a team 8 fouls until the bonus.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)

The logic was to try to give teams trailing in a game a bit more a chance to catch up, instead of the game being virtually over. It keeps some level of interest in games that used to be over.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
The logic was to try to give teams trailing in a game a bit more a chance to catch up, instead of the game being virtually over. It keeps some level of interest in games that used to be over.

This is what I assume as well. Just adds entertainment value.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)

Ahhh, youth! It used to be one and one in perpetuity. The two shots after 10 fouls has only been around about 20 years.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
Btw, what's up with Michigan State wearing dark uniforms at home? It's not that difficult a concept to deal with - home white (ok, highlighter yellow if you must) and road colors.

try telling that to LSU football.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
try telling that to LSU football.

Somebody always has to be different. But at least LSU is consistent. If I were Northwestern, I'd have worn road uniforms and forced the issue. That said, I'm sure it was cleared by the league and okay'd by NW well before game day. But still... Count me as hating all of this alternate uniform shiite!

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
Somebody always has to be different. But at least LSU is consistent. If I were Northwestern, I'd have worn road uniforms and forced the issue. That said, I'm sure it was cleared by the league and okay'd by NW well before game day. But still... Count me as hating all of this alternate uniform shiite!

I'm guessing it was an alternate design dark jersey they wore at home? Not their normal road green?

I guess $$$$ talks.

A few thoughts....

1. With Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan in the same side of the bracket, I'm not convinced the 2 and 3 seed didn't get the better draws in the BTT.

2. I do not think the foul on Watford should have been called differently than what it was. I will argue this whether it is IU or the Topeka YMCA playing, if the defender makes a legitimate attempt at the ball the call should simply be a foul. End of story. Hacking the right arm of a right handed player about to lay the ball up is a basketball play. The problem lies in the use of the word intentional. The rule was placed into effect in essence to prevent overly harsh, aka flagrant fouls that could hurt someone. There are "intentional" fouls throughout EVERY game in college basketball and 10 or more could be called every night. Murking up the waters is the newer, yet different rule on Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2 fouls. If Watford (or Johnny Stevens from Topeka) pushes the player in the back with both hands, that's a different call. Watford simply placed one hand on the players back as he swatted at the ball. He got his shooting arm instead. That's no different than hand checking. My opinion on this would have been the same had the roles been reversed. In fact, I hate it every time I am at a basketball game and there is a foul late in the game and half the crowd stands up with arms crossed yelling "intentional". I've hated it for years. Unfortunately, you don't see it interpreted consistently across the country so there is confusion as to the correct intention of the rule.

Just my $.02

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
I'm guessing it was an alternate design dark jersey they wore at home? Not their normal road green?

I guess $$$$ talks.

Yes, that's exactly what it was. Resembled alternate uniforms their football team wore. As far as alternate unis go, they didn't look horrible, they just should have been worn on the road. IMO

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
A few thoughts....

1. With Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan in the same side of the bracket, I'm not convinced the 2 and 3 seed didn't get the better draws in the BTT.

2. I do not think the foul on Watford should have been called differently than what it was. I will argue this whether it is IU or the Topeka YMCA playing, if the defender makes a legitimate attempt at the ball the call should simply be a foul. End of story. Hacking the right arm of a right handed player about to lay the ball up is a basketball play. The problem lies in the use of the word intentional. The rule was placed into effect in essence to prevent overly harsh, aka flagrant fouls that could hurt someone. There are "intentional" fouls throughout EVERY game in college basketball and 10 or more could be called every night. Murking up the waters is the newer, yet different rule on Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2 fouls. If Watford (or Johnny Stevens from Topeka) pushes the player in the back with both hands, that's a different call. Watford simply placed one hand on the players back as he swatted at the ball. He got his shooting arm instead. That's no different than hand checking. My opinion on this would have been the same had the roles been reversed. In fact, I hate it every time I am at a basketball game and there is a foul late in the game and half the crowd stands up with arms crossed yelling "intentional". I've hated it for years. Unfortunately, you don't see it interpreted consistently across the country so there is confusion as to the correct intention of the rule.

Just my $.02

When the top 4 or 5 teams are that good, no draw is a decent draw.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 06:33 PM)
When the top 4 or 5 teams are that good, no draw is a decent draw.

Yes, but let's look at the 2 seed. They have to deal with Purdue, Iowa and Michigan State than the 4 I mentioned. I'm not sure I care if we get to Sunday or not to be honest. I'm not going to root for us to lose, but I think the reality of beating Michigan for a 3rd time will be very tough. I'm certainly not taking Illinois and Minnesota for granted or assuming Wisky won't be there. Wonder if Bertrand will be okay?

Agreed that it wasn't an intentional foul. It just gets tricky because he's behind the ball and had zero chance of getting the ball. Most hard fouls for contested layups/dunks at least have a chance at getting the ball as well as man. Still, you can't call it an intentional foul. If that's an intentional foul than IU committed four in the last minute.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)

It's definitely weird though. What other game has an automatic strategy to get back into the game at the end? It definitely takes away from the sport as a whole IMO. Play basketball the whole time. Under a minute left? Series of fouls and free throws.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
A few thoughts....

Just my $.02

Here, I'll show how I am indeed objective...I actually agree with you since he made a play on the ball first. The shove was an extra "oh s*** I didn't get the ball...let's make sure he doesn't make this" but since the play on the ball was there and close enough, I was OK with that call. It also wasn't such a hard shove that you'd have to call it regardless of the play on the ball.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 10:47 PM)
It's definitely weird though. What other game has an automatic strategy to get back into the game at the end? It definitely takes away from the sport as a whole IMO. Play basketball the whole time. Under a minute left? Series of fouls and free throws.

Yeah, I don't know that has been better for the game, it just is what it is.