2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2757505.story

Speculation about Crain or Santiago being named the closer.

"You try to have the days where everything is perfect more than the ones like this, but it's a 162-game fight," Morel said in front of a crowd of reporters. "I lost the first one but am looking forward to (Saturday)."

Lewis' array of darting pitches caused the Sox to chase balls out of the strike zone. Morel became the first Sox third baseman to go 0-for-4 with four strikeouts since Herbert Perry on Sept. 20, 2001, but he seemed more disappointed for his inability to start the double play.

"Defense is really something that I take pride in to really try to help the team, and it's something I feel I can control better than hitting," Morel said. "It's hard not to take (offensive struggles) out there, but I try to do the best I can."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Beckham looks weak and in-between constantly. His machete swing is just awful. He'll be lucky to break .230 this season.

Yep. He looks nothing like he did when he came up. He attacked the baseball with the vengence of a 3-hole hitter in the making. These days he looks every bit the part of a 9th place hitter. Let's give him the year though.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
Beckham looks weak and in-between constantly. His machete swing is just awful. He'll be lucky to break .230 this season.

C'mon Soxtalk... Where's the photoshop of Beckham in the Machete movie poster??

The Sox had nine homegrown players on their opening day roster, tying them for fifth in the American League. The Twins had 14, followed by the Angels with 12 and the Royals and Rays with 11 apiece.

chicagotribune.com/sports

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...1.column?page=1

Good Haugh article on Ventura's managerial style

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
C'mon Soxtalk... Where's the photoshop of Beckham in the Machete movie poster??

Avert your eyes Sox fans. Machete Beckham is just getting started.

BRU-TAL. He looks like a tennis player up there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
The Sox had nine homegrown players on their opening day roster, tying them for fifth in the American League. The Twins had 14, followed by the Angels with 12 and the Royals and Rays with 11 apiece.

chicagotribune.com/sports

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Ex-Sox pitcher Lucas Harrell had a great game Sunday vs Rockettes. 7 innings, 3 hits, no runs.

Impossible! We have the worst farm system in the history of the game, and have for the past 5 years. No talent whatsoever could have come from our awful, awful, terrible no good rotten system since BP doesn't like it.

/green

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
Seems like there are a ton of ex-White Sox prospects/players out there: Hudson, Gio Gonzalez, BMAC, Boone Logan, Richards, Santos, Ryan Sweeney, Getz (lol!)

Clayton "Don't Confuse Me with Paul" Richard(s)

"They've got pitching," Washington told reporters Sunday night after the Rangers' 5-0 victory over the Sox. "On the defensive end, they don't make any mistakes. And they've got some power in that lineup.

"If you've got pitching and you can catch the ball, you're always in ballgames. They certainly have pitching -- some serious power arms coming out of the bullpen."

Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune

White Sox hitting coach Jeff Manto wasn't surprised that Alex Rios' home run Saturday night sailed over the center-field fence.

And Rangers manager Ron Washington believes Rios might be in a good spot, especially if he keeps his hands as high as he did in Toronto.

"He's going to do a lot more than what he did (Saturday) night," Washington said Sunday.

Manto believes Rios' homer might bode well for him and the rest of the Sox's hitters who often get caught trying to pull the ball too frequently.

"His every effort is to get that ball to the middle of the field, and sometimes it works," Manto said. "Sometimes he'll miss-hit a ball and it will go to left field. But he's been great to work with.

"He knows what he's doing. It's a feel for him. He's a feel hitter, and that's where he feels most comfortable. It would not be a good idea for me to say otherwise. When you feel something, you stay with it, and he's in the right spot."

Rios admitted he tends to turn his left shoulder too frequently.

"I've been a pull hitter for so long that sometimes it makes it hard to put the ball over there," Rios said. "I've worked on a couple things in spring training. Hopefully we'll see some results from it."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Clayton "Don't Confuse Me with Paul" Richard(s)

"They've got pitching," Washington told reporters Sunday night after the Rangers' 5-0 victory over the Sox. "On the defensive end, they don't make any mistakes. And they've got some power in that lineup.

"If you've got pitching and you can catch the ball, you're always in ballgames. They certainly have pitching -- some serious power arms coming out of the bullpen."

White Sox hitting coach Jeff Manto wasn't surprised that Alex Rios' home run Saturday night sailed over the center-field fence.

And Rangers manager Ron Washington believes Rios might be in a good spot, especially if he keeps his hands as high as he did in Toronto.

"He's going to do a lot more than what he did (Saturday) night," Washington said Sunday.

Manto believes Rios' homer might bode well for him and the rest of the Sox's hitters who often get caught trying to pull the ball too frequently.

"His every effort is to get that ball to the middle of the field, and sometimes it works," Manto said. "Sometimes he'll miss-hit a ball and it will go to left field. But he's been great to work with.

"He knows what he's doing. It's a feel for him. He's a feel hitter, and that's where he feels most comfortable. It would not be a good idea for me to say otherwise. When you feel something, you stay with it, and he's in the right spot."

Rios admitted he tends to turn his left shoulder too frequently.

"I've been a pull hitter for so long that sometimes it makes it hard to put the ball over there," Rios said. "I've worked on a couple things in spring training. Hopefully we'll see some results from it."

Impressed with Manto thus far. Hitters are more selective and thier approach is better.

Obviously he's helped Rios and Dunn look better specifically.

Manto literally called Rios' shot on Sat in a radio interview on The Score 670.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Impressed with Manto thus far. Hitters are more selective and thier approach is better.

Obviously he's helped Rios and Dunn look better specifically.

Manto literally called Rios' shot on Sat in a radio interview on The Score 670.

Of course...we also only scored 6 runs over the first 3 games...but then again, the Texas pitching staff isn't weak, and they were at home, and the Sox are playing a lot of kids who might well get better as the season goes along.

The numbers weren't there this weekend. So I guess I'm left hoping that all these excuses are actually sorta accurate. Except for Gavin "never very good in April", Texas's bats didn't really light us up either, considering how their lineup stacks up compared to ours.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)

Nice words by Washington. It's just too bad the Sox don't have anyone on their team in the same class as players like Hamilton, Kinsler or Beltre, however.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
Of course...we also only scored 6 runs over the first 3 games...but then again, the Texas pitching staff isn't weak, and they were at home, and the Sox are playing a lot of kids who might well get better as the season goes along.

The numbers weren't there this weekend. So I guess I'm left hoping that all these excuses are actually sorta accurate. Except for Gavin "never very good in April", Texas's bats didn't really light us up either, considering how their lineup stacks up compared to ours.

Harrison pitched out of jams really well too. The Sox had a runner on third twice (one of which was sort of Beckham's fault, but with how the ball was hit, his first reaction was to go home...hard to blame him for that) and runners on 1st and 2nd twice, and he got out of all of them.

I really don't have a problem with how the Sox performed offensively. They were having better ABs compared to recent years, so I hope it's something that gets results as the season goes on.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
Rios in RF instead of tank has been the correct call so far btw....there have been at least 3 balls so far that rios has gotten to that Viciedo wouldn't have come close on

JINX