2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 01:49 AM)
Or he can lose the job ala Matt Thornton/Aceves/Melancon in the first 6 weeks of the season.

Blue Jays do have a deep bullpen, so yeah, he can definitely lose the job to somebody like Cordero or Oliver.

Aceves hasn't lost his job yet. He had a 1-2-3 save today.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Santos has now blown two saves in Toronto, Santiago has converted two on the South Side. :gosox1:

Aside from the one-too-many fastball last night, Santiago looks good. He looks confident on the mound. He's got some good velocity on his fastball, and that screwball can be pretty nasty.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 05:11 AM)
Aside from the one-too-many fastball last night, Santiago looks good. He looks confident on the mound. He's got some good velocity on his fastball, and that screwball can be pretty nasty.

But isn't the "one too many fastballs" issue more on Pierzynski than Santiago? A.J. is the veteran signal caller here.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
But isn't the "one too many fastballs" issue more on Pierzynski than Santiago? A.J. is the veteran signal caller here.

I think that's on AJ. Sometimes he can be a bit formulaic on how he makes pitchers throw, especially showing up with his relievers.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Santos has now blown two saves in Toronto, Santiago has converted two on the South Side. :gosox1:

The Sox did a real good job of protecting Sergio over the last few years. It is a whole different ballgame when you get a top prospect traded for you, and you have the expectations of being the stopper as you walk in the door.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:05 AM)

Probably. I kept saying to my son, "Watch, here comes the screwball", and then he'd fire another fastball. He was getting a piece of every one he threw. Whether it was AJ or Santiago, one of them should have realized a change in speed would be a better option.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)

Totally on AJ, though I'm not necessarily against that philosophy. With a 3-run lead, you want as little trickery as possible unless you start getting into trouble. Probably should have called for the screwball on that pitch, but I understand trying to get the out with the fastball when you've got the max lead in a save situation.

I know that it's a little premature, but I'd love to see Escobar sent back down to Charlotte, and Dalla McPherson brought up.

He has been a monster the last couple of years, vs. RHP at AAA. The offense could sure use a left handed power bat.

I don't think that there is much more for him to prove at AAA. The poor guy had so much promise before his back problems.

Morel could play 3RD versus LHP, and be a late innings defensive replacement.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
I know that it's a little premature, but I'd love to see Escobar sent back down to Charlotte, and Dalla McPherson brought up.

He has been a monster the last couple of years, vs. RHP at AAA. The offense could sure use a left handed power bat.

I don't think that there is much more for him to prove at AAA. The poor guy had so much promise before his back problems.

Dallas is a classic 4A player. At the very least we know Escobar can pick it, which is important out of your back up IF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
Dallas is a classic 4A player. At the very least we know Escobar can pick it, which is important out of your back up IF.

Escobar is also much more useful as a late game pinch runner.

McPherson doesn't have that much more to prove at the MLB level either. He's proven pretty regularly he just can't perform at the level to justify giving him a regular roster spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
Escobar is also much more useful as a late game pinch runner.

McPherson doesn't have that much more to prove at the MLB level either. He's proven pretty regularly he just can't perform at the level to justify giving him a regular roster spot.

Not to mention McPherson can defend no positions well.

I understand that he is not a plus defender, and that's why I suggested that Morel should be a late inning defensive replacement.

McPherson really hasn't had a chance to play regularly at the Big League level, since coming back from his back surgeries.

He's only had 26 at bats since 2008. Does anyone really believe that those 26 at bats provide evidence of anything?

He has hit very well at AAA, especially vs. RHP. I don't think that there's any way to know what he would do.

He certainly has the potential to be an impact bat, which I don't think either Morel or Escobar do.

What would you guys suggest that this team do to make the offense more respectable?

There isn't much for opposing pitchers to fear in our lineup, besides P.K.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
I understand that he is not a plus defender, and that's why I suggested that Morel should be a late inning defensive replacement.

McPherson really hasn't had a chance to play regularly at the Big League level, since coming back from his back surgeries.

He's only had 26 at bats since 2006. Does anyone really believe that those 26 at bats provide evidence of anything?

He has hit very well at AAA, especially vs. RHP. I don't think that there's any way to know what he would do.

He certainly has the potential to be an impact bat, which I don't think either Morel or Escobar do.

What would you guys suggest that this team do to make the offense more respectable?

There isn't much for opposing pitchers to fear in our lineup, besides P.K.

I'm not sure that Dallas's number would be better than Morel all things considered. Remember we are talking about a guy who has 133 K's in 386 ML ABs over his career.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
Sox acquired INF Jose Castro from Cincinnati. Castro will be assigned to Charlotte. - Gonzo

Adios Beckham!

PS. OH IRONY!

Beckham is not gone for Castro. Castro had his best hitting season last year at 24/25 years of age but has no pop at all and doesn't steal bases. I see him as back up infielder at Charlotte

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
Beckham is not gone for Castro. Castro had his best hitting season last year at 24/25 years of age but has no pop at all and doesn't steal bases. I see him as back up infielder at Charlotte

Nothing gets by you!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)

Escobar is going to prove very useful, very soon, methinks.