2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 01:14 AM)
.255 batting average 19 hrs and 58 ribbies. Yuck. His OBP is .291. He's having a blah season, folks. Nineteen homers isn't horrendous, but since he's trying to hit a home run every at bat like Dunn, he ought to have at least 25 with all those at bats. The verdict is out on this guy ... sadly. I really was hoping for superstardom.

Wow! Where's the rationality in this? He's a rookie. People think transitioning from the minors/college to MLB is llike college to the NFL.

I guess they should have gave up on De Aza a long time ago. Where you expecting him to be the Big Hurt?

I thought this guy would kill the Sox on defense. I have no complaints about him.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Just read an article by Ted Gregory about the Cubs outdrawing the Sox: Cubs outdraw Sox (nothing new)

What do you guys think about this?

Thanks for posting this.

carborough's research also shows that nearly 40 percent of adults who attend Cubs game are college graduates

Most college grads these days are sheeple.

You have to wonder how forgiving a fan base is when Einhorn put them on a seclusive channel. Wirtz alienated a fan base and I really don't know if they have recovered. The organization lost out on an opportunity when Cubs did day games. Pursuing the superstation WGN should have been ther goal instead of Sportsvision or whatever it was.

You also wonder how things would have turned out if the Sox went to Schaumburg. Maybe people feel where Wrigley is located is less threatening than the Cell. Which is sad and ignorant. In August, Chicago is a Bears town and it has nothing to do with how good or bad they are.

I think a lot of it has to do with fans not trusting Sox ownership. People have joked about the Sox running like a 3rd market team in a 1st market city.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Chicago is a loser town. Of course they would support the Cubs. Only the normal people support the White Sox.

I guess that article would imply there are less normal people.

I have no idea what the fan base is with the Bulls but winning a lot seems to buy you a lot of future fans. You see kids with Jordan jerseys that weren't born when he played.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
I think it is lazy reporting. What next? the yankees outdrew the mets?

I wish I could remember but I think it was Ed Farmer who mentioned something about Sox/Cub attendance during to 2005 celebration. It was very witty.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
Isn't this his first full season? He's barely 23, right?

If he was absolutely struggling at 26 or 27, I'd see your point. But, in my opinion, he's just getting familiar with MLB pitching this year. He's bound to improve with his skill set.

Yeah but what is his real age? Is he really 23?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
Wow! Where's the rationality in this? He's a rookie. People think transitioning from the minors/college to MLB is llike college to the NFL.

I guess they should have gave up on De Aza a long time ago. Where you expecting him to be the Big Hurt?

I thought this guy would kill the Sox on defense. I have no complaints about him.

I've not given up on him. Yes there is room for a ballplayer to improve. I'm just saying he's had a very average to lousy season thus far. The SIGNS are that he's a low OBP guy in the making. I don't know why he feels he has to swing as hard as he does but I don't like what I've seen this year except for some of his bombs, actually most of his homers have been dynamic. He's had some big hits and helped the Sox win some games. I hope he makes it big but I'm just rating this season and this season has been nothing special at all.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
He wanted to last season. Jerry talked him out of it.

Everytime I think about Jerry convincing KW to stay I think about this:

"You promised you would fire me if I called in sick again, you promised"

"I cant do it"

That article isn't so biased, actually.

Points out that our television viewership has increased, more families attend Sox games (theoretically leading to more 2nd/3rd generation fans)...

There's not such a HUGE disparity in the numbers as one would have thought...less than 10% for college graduates, etc.

To boost excitement and attendance, the Sox are offering aggressive ticket discounts for the upcoming 10-game home stand, which includes what likely will be a playoff-critical, four-game series with the Detroit Tigers. Tickets are priced as low as $7 for upper deck seats and $18 for lower-level reserved seats.

Gee, great Brooks....finally. But I guess it's better late than never. Maybe they didn't want the embarassment of NUMEROUS empty seats for a first place team playing home games in September.

And it's a bit hard to fault fans after all those consecutive losses to DET. All Sox fans are discouraged, to an extent. But the real fans will be out there again tonight. Every day is a new day in baseball, that's the beauty of a 162 game season.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Viciedo is a work in progress that has shown serious flaws, Nate Jones is awful and John Danks is the most problematic of all.

Viciedo has also shown some incredibly good signs about his future, I don't understand your contempt for Nate Jones, and John Danks is only problematic because he's a question mark coming into next year. He could easily be a good starting pitcher once again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
That article isn't so biased, actually.

Points out that our television viewership has increased, more families attend Sox games (theoretically leading to more 2nd/3rd generation fans)...

There's not such a HUGE disparity in the numbers as one would have thought...less than 10% for college graduates, etc.

To boost excitement and attendance, the Sox are offering aggressive ticket discounts for the upcoming 10-game home stand, which includes what likely will be a playoff-critical, four-game series with the Detroit Tigers. Tickets are priced as low as $7 for upper deck seats and $18 for lower-level reserved seats.

Gee, great Brooks....finally. But I guess it's better late than never. Maybe they didn't want the embarassment of NUMEROUS empty seats for a first place team playing home games in September.

And it's a bit hard to fault fans after all those consecutive losses to DET. All Sox fans are discouraged, to an extent. But the real fans will be out there again tonight. Every day is a new day in baseball, that's the beauty of a 162 game season.

So what if it says Cub fans are better at supporting their team? People want to dump that on the lap of the fans where in real world marketing it is on the owners. Day baseball and WGN did more for the Cubs for fans 40 and older. I use to be a Cub when I was in grade school. You got home and turned on WGN because that's what you watched because of Ray Rayner and Bozo. That was the team you were exposed to. Exposure has a lot to do with it. IF you don't have that then winning seems to work. Competitive doesn't.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
Cubs fans have learned to accept failure, and just come out for the novelty of it...pretty simple

Wrigley is a big tourist attraction too. A lot people there probably aren't even baseball fans, let a lone care if the Cubs win.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
Sale is awesome, Quintana as well.

Quintana has a 1.473 WHIP with a 4.31 ERA and a 1-2 record since the All Star Break. I hope it's just fatigue, but there is a pretty good chance that his first half performance was luck/aberration. Out of the blue success stories don't come around often for a reason.

The only starter on this team I like is Chris Sale and he may have a high injury potential.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
Wrigley is a big tourist attraction too. A lot people there probably aren't even baseball fans, let a lone care if the Cubs win.

Yep. If you are into old parks that's a place to go. What's the chances of that being destroyed or Fenway?

The sad thing is I've been to Wrigley more than the Cell. But then was when the Cubs had guys like Sutcliff.

I was going to go to a Sox/Twins game back in the Manuel era but the lowest price ticket was $25. You could go see Peyton Manning, Edgirrin James and Marvin Harrison at the RCA Dome for $15. There's something wrong with that picture.

Sometimes I think Sox fans don't like or trust Reinsdorf. That is probably more ignorance but it's hard to nail why the Sox draw like a 3rd market team. Maybe they could stop b****ing about attendance for a start. There's also "we'll make the team better if you show up". Owners lie about that. See Bud Selig. Could you see a Domino's commercial, "We'll make our pizza better only if you order more"?

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
Quintana has a 1.473 WHIP with a 4.31 ERA and a 1-2 record since the All Star Break. I hope it's just fatigue, but there is a pretty good chance that his first half performance was luck/aberration. Out of the blue success stories don't come around often for a reason.

The only starter on this team I like is Chris Sale and he may have a high injury potential.

Even those small sample size (like his good numbers) are those of a rotation staple. This is all at age 23...have to like some of the upside to improve, get smarter, etc. I've found that if you acknowledge the worst case possibility with pitchers, you'll never, ever feel good about your staff. You have to consider every possibility. Sale, Danks, Quintana is likely a very good start to a rotation for next season. Throw a Floyd, Peavy, Liriano, or someone else with a good track record and its pretty damn good. If not, KW can work his magic for us :P

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Even those small sample size (like his good numbers) are those of a rotation staple. This is all at age 23...have to like some of the upside to improve, get smarter, etc. I've found that if you acknowledge the worst case possibility with pitchers, you'll never, ever feel good about your staff. You have to consider every possibility. Sale, Danks, Quintana is likely a very good start to a rotation for next season. Throw a Floyd, Peavy, Liriano, or someone else with a good track record and its pretty damn good. If not, KW can work his magic for us :P

On the SCORE they once mentioned the Sox have a winning record when he doesn't have a quality start.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)

I can't name a lot of good starters with 1.473 WHIPs In fact, there are only 8 of the 94 starters who currently qualify for the ERA title who have higher WHIPs. Best of the bunch is probably Porcello.

The thing is - he's not going to improve appreciably. He's a location-based lefty and we've had one of those. Mark Buehrle's best years were his age 22 and age 26 seasons. He didn't really "improve" over his age 22 season by any stretch. In fact, he's a model of consistency, not peaks.

Obviously, if Quintana is 90% of Buehrle, he'll be in the rotation as long as he's cheap.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 10:47 PM)

It's all about the ballpark. If they ever renovated the place and the Cubs had to play in the Cell for a season, they'd have Sox-like crowds. Bank on that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
It's all about the ballpark. If they ever renovated the place and the Cubs had to play in the Cell for a season, they'd have Sox-like crowds. Bank on that.

In a Tribune article today, a Cubs employee mentioned that 40% of the fans at Wrigley are from out of state on any given day.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 02:46 AM)
In a Tribune article today, a Cubs employee mentioned that 40% of the fans at Wrigley are from out of state on any given day.

Wow. 40 percent is A LOT. Think of all the shirts and jackets and other stuff they sell to the visitors. I repeat WOW.

The reasons for thinking Q may improve are for one, again, he hasn't even given up that many runs in this tougher stretch he's had. Moreover, his experience against tough competition is little since he was only a marginal choice to be in AA this year. He's at an all-time high in IP at this point and likely is going out there with a bit less than 100% physically most nights. Getting more durable for the stretch run after having a real MLB grind under his belt should leave him able to be a damn good starter. And if he's a 4.3 ERA starter, I'm happy with that too.