4/22/12 GT Sox @ Mariners 3:10pm, CSN

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
I did see that in at lest one game I was able to watch. That couple miles off can make a difference, but I think control has been a problem too

Pitch F/X doesn't help as much with that, but usually...if a guy has lost 2 mph on his fastball, whatever reason he's down on that, it's going to affect his control too. Start overthrowing things, lose something in the delivery, start relying on different pitches, whatever.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
Other than that ball to right it's been Danks getting hit hard, walking guys, and throwing the ball into right field.

what about gordon's heads up play? what about Dunn not paying attention to snag the throw?

That's 3 plays man. Yeah fine, Danks isn't crazy sharp today, but his defense is NOT helping him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
There Danks reached back for a little something extra on the fastball, got it up to 91.

Well, it's still a ballgame, boys. Offense on paper SHOULD be able to score more than 2 runs against Kevin Freakin' Millwood. Maybe not 5 or 10 years ago, but this version of him.

One would hope

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
Pitch F/X doesn't help as much with that, but usually...if a guy has lost 2 mph on his fastball, whatever reason he's down on that, it's going to affect his control too. Start overthrowing things, lose something in the delivery, start relying on different pitches, whatever.

Most important thing in my opinion is the lack of difference in velocity between fastball and change-up.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
are you 12?

I don't know what you are talking about with "poor Danks" either. He has been awful today, and just like usual he gives a lead back and then some. Yeah the errors by lilli and beckham sucked, but the guys on base when those errors happened were all on Danks.

That looked like one of Humber's under 10 pitch innings yesterday.

It's going to take a season or two to "unprogram" this Sunday/getaway day apathy or whatever it is. Take the first 2 games, shut it down. Not good. We still have four more innings to turn it around, but the body language isn't good right now.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't know what you are talking about with "poor Danks" either. He has been awful today, and just like usual he gives a lead back and then some. Yeah the errors by lilli and beckham sucked, but the guys on base when those errors happened were all on Danks.

he gives up a single, and the guy ends up on 3rd base by no fault of Danks. Where was the other hard hit ball that inning?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
Most important thing in my opinion is the lack of difference in velocity between fastball and change-up.

That is a major concern for sure. Dead-arm leading to overthrowing the ball, no control & too many walks or can't get the change up working right or whatever Danks has just not looked all that sharp this early in the season for a guy touted as the new staff ace. Maybe he is just putting pressure on himself?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
what about gordon's heads up play? what about Dunn not paying attention to snag the throw?

That's 3 plays man. Yeah fine, Danks isn't crazy sharp today, but his defense is NOT helping him.

Seattle has 7 hits. Six of those were scorched. I know your thing is defending everybody, but I don't think I'm being overly critical of a guy who has allowed 4 runs on 7 hits in four innings against a team that didn't even come close to getting a hit yesterday, and is one of the worst offensive teams in baseball.

I'm not saying I want Danks hanged and quartered at the town square. I'm saying it would be nice if our number 1 starter could sport an ERA under 5.50 at this stage.

Oh look...another walk. He has 3 of those too.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
That is a major concern for sure. Dead-arm leading to overthrowing the ball, no control & too many walks or can't get the change up working right or whatever Danks has just not looked all that sharp this early in the season for a guy touted as the new staff ace. Maybe he is just putting pressure on himself?

Outside of the "lack of velocity", we've seen Danks go through more than just a few stretches in his career where he didn't have a whole lot of effectiveness with his change and then couldn't put people away because of it.

Seems to me Danks is suffering from the same problem Peavy had last year.

FB and change-up/offspeed velocity too close together.

You always look for that 10-20 MPH differential, as Mike Maddux said in the Rangers/Tiggers pre-game. 89-90 mph on the fastball, 83-84 on offspeed stuff. Everything at about the same speed.

Good call on the interference call by McClelland. Good bunt by Seager. Beckham really selling it by overacting too.

2nd stolen base of the season against us. How did that happen?

Edited by caulfield12

Pitching and Defense can't make ANY mistakes, because this offense can not make up for anything. Just atrocious.

0-2 on chances to sweep a series? Please no...

Also, these days I have more confidence in Sale Peavy and Humber than Danks and Floyd. The top of the rotation just being nothing but mediocre so far.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Seattle has 7 hits. Six of those were scorched. I know your thing is defending everybody, but I don't think I'm being overly critical of a guy who has allowed 4 runs on 7 hits in four innings against a team that didn't even come close to getting a hit yesterday, and is one of the worst offensive teams in baseball.

I'm not saying I want Danks hanged and quartered at the town square. I'm saying it would be nice if our number 1 starter could sport an ERA under 5.50 at this stage.

Oh look...another walk. He has 3 of those too.

haha listen man obviously danks isn't looking great. but he's had periods like this in every season of his career so far, and he still manages to string together solid seasons come the end of the year. I'm just saying lets back away from the ledge. he's in a rough patch, so it's nice that Peavy and Humber are picking up the slack

You almost wonder if the pressure of that contract is affecting Danks this year.

Normally, you could blame it on the lack of offensive support, but he just hasn't seemed quite right this year, as we're all noting.

He's battling, but the results just aren't there. It's like he's fighting himself right now. That throw over to Dunn really bothered him too and got him flustered visibly.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
haha listen man obviously danks isn't looking great. but he's had periods like this in every season of his career so far, and he still manages to string together solid seasons come the end of the year. I'm just saying lets back away from the ledge. he's in a rough patch, so it's nice that Peavy and Humber are picking up the slack

So now he isnt looking great? So I guess I do watch the games?

Edited by Baron