Sale back to the rotation per KW, MRI comes back clean

Heads22

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
I figured they'd put him back eventually, though I would have expected this "break" in the bullpen to last a little longer. I"m sure they will be keeping an eye on him.

The Sox obviously had some message problems in the press on this... but as I said before, not only do I not have a problem with them being super-cautious like this, I think it was a very good thing they were proactive with it. They may not have stated things well, but it was obvious they did the right thing, gave it a little time, came up with a plan B, and are going for it.

This is a lesson for Robin in keeping everyone on the same message to the media. If they had all simply said "we are being careful with some soreness and we'll get back to you when we have a direction", then I'd have had no problem with any of it.

I really hope they make an effort to use "Mr. Offday" as the 5th starter once a month from here on out to give Sale a day off. I know they couldn't do it in April because there was no offday, but seriously, build it in to the schedule 3 weeks in advance, so that if something goes wrong and they wind up with a double header, the double header isn't lost because Sale can't go and 2 guys have to come up from Charlotte again. And if you don't schedule Mr. Offday, that's when Sale's arm is going to feel tired again, at the very wrost time.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
I've said it before, but Detroit is a massive favorite. For the Sox to win, they need pretty much everything to go right for them, and everything to go wrong for Detroit. The Tigers should win the central by 10 to 15 games when all is said and done.

Why is Detroit a massive favorite?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
Even if the team has a shot to win...they need to treat the season like they don't. The most important thing this team can do this year is set themselves up for next year, by pushing the development of the guys they have as much as possible, moving as much bad money as possible, and figuring out which positions have guys who genuinely need to be replaced.

If they happen to accomplish that and wind up competitive in late July/August...fine...we'll adjust things then...but that will mean we've mostly accomplished the "Development" part, because we're not competing if Viciedo and Beckham struggle the whole year and Sale goes down.

Yes, set themselves up for next year. Next year they will need a top of the rotation starter, a 3-hitter, a CF'er to start with. Never mind catcher, third and second baseman. It is crazy to think they'll have a better chance to win next year under any circumstance. This year will be the Sox best chance to make the playoffs over the next three years.

BTW, do Danks and Ramirez count as bad money now because they very well could by the end of the season.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 12, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
Yes, set themselves up for next year. Next year they will need a top of the rotation starter, a 3-hitter, a CF'er to start with. Never mind catcher, third and second baseman. It is crazy to think they'll have a better chance to win next year under any circumstance. This year will be the Sox best chance to make the playoffs over the next three years.

BTW, do Danks and Ramirez count as bad money now because they very well could by the end of the season.

There's lots of fail here, but um...that one is special. Huh?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 12, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
Ubaldo is plenty healthy. He just sucks.

The Rockies GM needs to be arrested for rape after that trade. When it happened, everyone thought he was crazy. It turns out, it may have just been one lucky half-season for Ubaldo.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 13, 2012 -> 04:06 AM)
Stop believing in what ESPN tells you. They are the favorite but this first month and a half has shown they aren't that much better.

He doesn't believe ESPN. He has an agenda, wants to see KW keep his job at any cost.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
He doesn't believe ESPN. He has an agenda, wants to see KW keep his job at any cost.

you guys are insane. guess what? boston's going to be competing for the AL East at the end of the year. The Angels will be competing for the West. The Phillies for the NL East, and on and on.

ONE BAD MONTH does not make you a bad team. Detroit still has the firepower and the arms to run away with this division - something no other team has. We can't hit. The Indians can't pitch. Detroit does both.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 13, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
you guys are insane. guess what? boston's going to be competing for the AL East at the end of the year. The Angels will be competing for the West. The Phillies for the NL East, and on and on.

ONE BAD MONTH does not make you a bad team. Detroit still has the firepower and the arms to run away with this division - something no other team has. We can't hit. The Indians can't pitch. Detroit does both.

Three big reasons to start Fielder, Cabrera, and Verlander.

And at the end of the day, Marty's position is self-contradictory (image that Joe...)

He is trying to argue that the Sox have a win now team, and a team that should win the division, yet the GM is an idiot who needs to be fired now. If he has the best team in the division, why does he need to be fired? That means he is doing his job. It would be much smarter to argue that this team sucks, and it is all Kenny's fault, which is why he should be fired. The whole idea that if argue the contradictions of Marty, you have an agenda is just stupid. After all, who is the person who shows up on a regular basis firing off just genius thread titles as...

"Time to Move Rios"

"Wrapping Up April-Tough Start for Rebuild Crowd"

"Closing Time -Hector Isn't Cutting It - Who Will?"

"Viciedo Not Worth The Wait"

"Farmer is Awful"

"KW: Stay Out of White Sox Minor League Business"

Tell me again, who has the agenda, Marty? Pathetic attempt at deflection there Joe.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
You can't be serious. The guy was getting huge results starting - you think they pulled him for any reason other than his health? Or that they'd put him back in if they thought he was likely to blow out his elbow?

He was too sore, struggled with the upped innings, they gave him a break, Ventura didn't have his coaching staff handle messaing well, Sale wanted back in and the MRI is clean, so now they will put him back in but under tight controls. How is any of that about "win now"?

There's little chance this was a miscommunication. A more likely scenario is it was decided sometime before the season by the organization to let the medical staff make the decision on Sale. Herm told Robin and Coop and they made the announcement. Ventura said they were looking out for the best interests of Sale and not the team by putting him back in the pen. So it must be the opposite if he's back in the rotation, right?

KW knows this "rebuilding" is keyed by Sale being a starter. Putting him in the pen is worse than him blowing out his elbow for KW's job security. If Sale is injured he can use that as a reason he needs more time. Kenny saying that he was swayed to keep him in the rotation by a call from Sale was pretty ham-handed and a way to deflect criticism if he does damage his elbow. I hope Morel and Viciedo don't have Kenny's number if that's the way he really goes about making decisions.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
And at the end of the day, Marty's position is self-contradictory (image that Joe...)

He is trying to argue that the Sox have a win now team, and a team that should win the division, yet the GM is an idiot who needs to be fired now. If he has the best team in the division, why does he need to be fired? That means he is doing his job. It would be much smarter to argue that this team sucks, and it is all Kenny's fault, which is why he should be fired. The whole idea that if argue the contradictions of Marty, you have an agenda is just stupid. After all, who is the person who shows up on a regular basis firing off just genius thread titles as...

"Time to Move Rios"

"Wrapping Up April-Tough Start for Rebuild Crowd"

"Closing Time -Hector Isn't Cutting It - Who Will?"

"Viciedo Not Worth The Wait"

"Farmer is Awful"

"KW: Stay Out of White Sox Minor League Business"

Tell me again, who has the agenda, Marty? Pathetic attempt at deflection there Joe.

You are embarrassing yourself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
I honestly didn't think you would be able to defend and articulate your position, so you would resort to a cute quip instead.

And you were willing to embarrass yourself for the purpose.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
And you were willing to embarrass yourself for the purpose.

No. The one who should be embarrassed is you. The whole everything should mean Kenny gets fired, even when it doesn't make any sense at all, thing, is just demeaning to the people who post here. The sad part is, I don't think you even see the contradictions in your narrative. Then again, maybe you do, which is why you refuse to answer to anything when you get challenged. Instead you just drop down to personal insults.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
No. The one who should be embarrassed is you. The whole everything should mean Kenny gets fired, even when it doesn't make any sense at all, thing, is just demeaning to the people who post here. The sad part is, I don't think you even see the contradictions in your narrative. Then again, maybe you do, which is why you refuse to answer to anything when you get challenged. Instead you just drop down to personal insults.

Referring to me as "Joe" is not a personal insult? That's an absolute insult given the way people on Soxtalk feel about Cowley after he beat you down for being wrong about the Gonzalez rumours.

My position is there's nothing to rebuild with if this year's team tanks therefore Kenny has to go.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
Referring to me as "Joe" is not a personal insult? That's an absolute insult given the way people on Soxtalk feel about Cowley after he beat you down for being wrong about the Gonzalez rumours.

My position is there's nothing to rebuild with if this year's team tanks therefore Kenny has to go.

it's not a personal insult because you LIKE Joe Cowley. To think otherwise would prove you've been trolling all along.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
it's not a personal insult because you LIKE Joe Cowley. To think otherwise would prove you've been trolling all along.

It's meant to demean. Don't mind, big boy I can handle it, but I find it sad that SS2K would say that I resort to personal insults after he demeaned me.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
It's meant to demean. Don't mind, big boy I can handle it, but I find it sad that SS2K would say that I resort to personal insults after he demeaned me.

aw i'm sorry you feel demeaned by being called the name of a sportswriter you respect so highly.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)

And you don't get the contradiction in that at all? This team should win now, so Kenny has to be fired. No more deflections, no more agenda. That doesn't make any sense at all, no matter how many different ways you come up with to try to frame the team into the worst possible setting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
And you don't get the contradiction in that at all? This team should win now, so Kenny has to be fired. No more deflections, no more agenda. That doesn't make any sense at all, no matter how many different ways you come up with to try to frame the team into the worst possible setting.

No contradiction at all. This team is at the end of its window to win, if it does not there is nothing on the farm to rebuild with and no logical reason for keeping Williams.