Slow pitch softball thread

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 30, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
Up 6-5 in the 7th against the team that has won 2 of the last 3 championships. 2 outs and 2 runners on. A hit to left. Play at the plate, throw beats him and our catcher misses the catch. Tie game. They then get 5 or 6 straight hits and we lose 9-7. Very frustrating.

That is tough, it sucks when one play opens the flood gates

We pretty much had the opposite 7th. We were down 15-12. Single, Homerun, double, single(run scores), bobble error by 2nd(runners at 1st and 2nd), walk, walkoff double.

I dont think I have had a comeback like that before, where we didnt even make an out.

Our team is starting to come together now that we are closer to getting everyone out there. Won another game last night vs a team that beat us twice last year. Went 3/4 again, not bad considering I had traveled for about 14 hours before the game. I'm excited for this team, we could be pretty good when it's all said and done, the problem though is that we don't have a lot of depth. An injury or two and we will be struggling.

7-8 or 8-9, something like that, mostly doubles and triples. I was just hitting frozen ropes out to LF all night.

We lost the 1st game 17-16 in extras and then 10-runned them in 5 27-17 in the 2nd. I pitched both games and while I liked pitching to the guys at the top of their order, it was an incredibly frustrating night because probably 6 out of the 10 guys that showed up for them went up to bat looking to walk. I'm sorry, I don't care if it's the last out of a state tournament and there are 2 outs and it's 3-1 and the bases are loaded and we're tied up, I'm going up there looking to hit every single time. If it's close, swing the f'ing bat.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
7-8 or 8-9, something like that, mostly doubles and triples. I was just hitting frozen ropes out to LF all night.

We lost the 1st game 17-16 in extras and then 10-runned them in 5 27-17 in the 2nd. I pitched both games and while I liked pitching to the guys at the top of their order, it was an incredibly frustrating night because probably 6 out of the 10 guys that showed up for them went up to bat looking to walk. I'm sorry, I don't care if it's the last out of a state tournament and there are 2 outs and it's 3-1 and the bases are loaded and we're tied up, I'm going up there looking to hit every single time. If it's close, swing the f'ing bat.

walkers in softball has always been a pet peeve of mine. It is one thing if the pitcher is bad, but actually looking for a walk in softball? Slap-worthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
walkers in softball has always been a pet peeve of mine. It is one thing if the pitcher is bad, but actually looking for a walk in softball? Slap-worthy.

Yup, I want no part of a walk in slowpitch unless the 3 pitches I get are just awful. I swing at anything even remotely close.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)

Right, the only time I walk is if they are pitching around me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)

As a batter, I'm not going to bail the pitcher out. My goal is to get on base and walking happens to be one of those ways.

As a pitcher, your goal is to throw strikes. It's one thing if the umpire is freaking terrible and squeezing you, it's another if you can't throw strikes and expect hitters to bail you out.

Now, with all that said, I never go up there looking for a walk. However, I feel like complaining about hitters not swinging at balls out of the zone is pretty damn silly.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
As a batter, I'm not going to bail the pitcher out. My goal is to get on base and walking happens to be one of those ways.

As a pitcher, your goal is to throw strikes. It's one thing if the umpire is freaking terrible and squeezing you, it's another if you can't throw strikes and expect hitters to bail you out.

Now, with all that said, I never go up there looking for a walk. However, I feel like complaining about hitters not swinging at balls out of the zone is pretty damn silly.

The strike zone is way too iffy for me to risk not swinging at something close. Im certainly not going to be one of the guys that strikes out, and I don't want to risk that on a guy standing 4-5 feet away trying to judge a lobbed ball coming into the strike zone.

It's softball, not sabr metrics. I'm going there to have fun, playing against guys who are looking for walks or taking close pitches (and the umps who allow this) is not fun.

Of course if the ball is 2 feet outside or not making it to the front of the plate I'm not swinging.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
I'll take a walk in a close game, otherwise I'm swinging.

There is a pitcher who always tries to walk me a couple of times a game, so I've started taking them since they arent anywhere remotely close. If there are runners on I'll try and run to the pitch if I can.

I pretty much always swing at the first decent pitch. The only time I'm truly selective up there is if we're down in the 7th inning and need base runners. At that point, I'd rather take a walk if it helps us win the game then get another swing in if it's not a great pitch to drive

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
i think I walk maybe once or twice a season. Hell, i would bet i am a first pitch swinger more than 80% of the time

The idea is to get deep in the count so the pitcher throws you a good hitter's pitch. You're a lot more likely to get a good pitch 3-1 than on 1-1.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)
The idea is to get deep in the count so the pitcher throws you a good hitter's pitch. You're a lot more likely to get a good pitch 3-1 than on 1-1.

I have always been aggressive. The longer I am up, the more I overthink it. It works for me though

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 10:51 PM)
I have always been aggressive. The longer I am up, the more I overthink it. It works for me though

I feel like I'm way too aggressive sometimes. There's been too many times where I jumped on the first pitch and regretted it instantly.

I don't think I've ever had a terrible result once I got deep in the count, especially on 3-1, but that doesn't happen all that often.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
Its slow pitch softball. Almost any pitch is a hitters pitch.

Not really. Everyone's different, but I struggle a lot with pitches with high arc or pitches high and in. Throw me a USSSA-style low pitch and I'll hit the daylights out of it. That's the difference for me.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
Not really. Everyone's different, but I struggle a lot with pitches with high arc or pitches high and in. Throw me a USSSA-style low pitch and I'll hit the daylights out of it. That's the difference for me.

Start back and off in the box, adjust forward with the pitch. That's the great thing, you have plenty of time to adjust.