What if we'd kept Gio Gonzalez?

VAfan

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
Reinsdorf cares about making profit and being ultra-loyal to people that either do a bad job, or were part of 2005.

I'm glad 2005 happened, but in my opinion, what is happening now and in the last few years is a result of hanging on to 2005 too long.

If Reinsdorf really cared only about profits, he would have been exploiting the Marlins model for three decades now. That is how you make the most money.,

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
I think what he's saying is, it's now a Bill Wirtz-like waiting game.

When Jerry is releived of his position, I sincerely doubt his successor will blow everything up. There is a huge difference in what Rocky inherited.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
That is just fantasy and revisionist history.

Yeah. Not really. The bloke just stood and watched as the greatest dynasty in modern sports history crumbled to the ground for no reason. Think Jerry Buss let's that happen? Michael Jordan. That's it. That's reinsdorf's Bulls legacy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
Reinsdorf cares about making profit and being ultra-loyal to people that either do a bad job, or were part of 2005.

I'm glad 2005 happened, but in my opinion, what is happening now and in the last few years is a result of hanging on to 2005 too long.

You mean like how he fired Rick Hahn, only 1 player - Paul Konerko - remains in the organization from the 2005 world Series, he relieved the only manager that has won a World Series in Chicago in his lifetime AND THEN traded him to Miami? Oh, and you speak of him being almost overly-loyal, yet he promoted Rick Hahn to GM not to show his loyalty but because he was the most deserving man for the job according to virutally EVERY national publication. He's let go of players and coaches simply because he realizes when it is time for a change.

He is an incredibly loyal man because loyalty breeds security which takes pressure off which allows for people to do their job. When people feel pressured and have low job security, they tend to fail more often.

Reinsdorf has been perfectly fine as an owner and CEO.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Yeah. Not really. The bloke just stood and watched as the greatest dynasty in modern sports history crumbled to the ground for no reason. Think Jerry Buss let's that happen? Michael Jordan. That's it. That's reinsdorf's Bulls legacy.

What happened at the end has no bearing on winning six titles.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
He is an incredibly loyal man because loyalty breeds security which takes pressure off which allows for people to do their job. When people feel pressured and have low job security, they tend to fail more often.

Reinsdorf has been perfectly fine as an owner and CEO.

30 years, 5 postseasons, and 1 World Series. That simply isn't good enough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
What happened at the end has no bearing on winning six titles.

Again. He had Michael Jordan. He and Krause thought they were more than that. But 15 years and three playoff series wins later, I'm sure he realizes that he just happened to own the team that had Michael Jordan on it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
Again. He had Michael Jordan. He and Krause thought they were more than that. But 15 years and three playoff series wins later, I'm sure he realizes that he just happened to own the team that had Michael Jordan on it.

You can't say he has no responsibility for what was won, but he needs to sell because someone else will. That makes zero sense.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
30 years, 5 postseasons, and 1 World Series. That simply isn't good enough.

30 years is a lot of time to judge a team too. You are talking, at a bare minimum, 5 generations of players.

Regardless, during that time frame, I count only 9 teams who have, without a doubt, had a better run - the Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals, Braves, Phillies, Angels, Twins, Red Sox, and Tigers. The teams you can argue for are the Reds, Mets, Indians, Blue Jays, Rays, Orioles, Tigers, Athletics, and Diamondbacks. The only team that has actually won a World Series (2 in fact) that I have listed below the Sox is the Marlins, and that's because outside of two high-flying seasons, that team has been a perennial bottom feeder.

I'd say, at best, they're a top 10 team in the MLB over the past 30 years and, at worst, they are middle of the pack. I also feel as though this franchise has been a bit snakebitten regarding big moves, but that's neither here nor there.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
I would say the Jays and A's belong in that first list of names, Wite. And is there a reason you're not counting the Yankees?

Just because I forgot to mention them.

The A's I'd put in there, but it's hard for me to put the Jays in there - they won 2 World Series, but they haven't done anything in 20 years. At that point you have consider the Tigers - who have been to 3 and won 1 World Series in the last 30 years, along with multiple playoff appearances - even though, from 1989 through 2005, they were among the laughing stocks of the league, including the worst season in AL history.

There's a lot of gray area, but lumping the Sox amongst the Reds, Blue Jays, Tigers, and Indians really isn't bad company when you consider how good those teams have been at certain points in the last 25-30 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
Yeah, Gio and Hudson both hurt.

But, if we can keep on replacing them with similar production out of unheralded guys like Humber or Quintana, it doesn't really matter. (Or Jenks and Santos in the bullpen, for another example).

There's no GM in baseball who hasn't made his share of moves which later look bone-headed.

Do you think the Marlins' fans are all going crazy because DeAza has played well for us? Royals'/Twins' fans are upset about losing Humber? Or look at the money the Yankees invest in their starting pitching...even to the point of bringing back veteran Andy Pettite. Are they up in arms they "lost" Quintana or that we seemingly stole him right out from under their noses, or still upset we not only took Contreras, we also got a subsidy back to pay for his salary?

And, of course, there's no way to empirically prove they both would have pitched as well in Chicago, or at USCF.

Maybe Gio needed the confidence of pitching with a huge park and foul territory to become the pitcher he is...in Chicago, his control issues early in his career and his penchant for surrendering long balls/fly balls might have derailed his career in its early infancy.

If anything, the success of Hudson, Gio, Brandon McCarthy or Clayton Richard makes our farm system's productivity look better and makes other teams more willing to trade with us.

No, he had it in AA in 2007.