2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
In all seriousness, I'd like you to point to one moment this season where you thought "gee, if the Hawks were more physical there, they'd have been better off" - it's a myth.

I think you are confusing what I'm saying with wanting to add a John Scott or something like that. There have been times when the offense is having trouble with the defensive system in the neutral zone and they go to getting the puck deep and I just wished we have one or two more guys that would be tougher in the corners. Not advocating goons at all.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
I think you are confusing what I'm saying with wanting to add a John Scott or something like that. There have been times when the offense is having trouble with the defensive system in the neutral zone and they go to getting the puck deep and I just wished we have one or two more guys that would be tougher in the corners. Not advocating goons at all.

Yeah, but that style of play sacrifices the finesse we've seen. If you crash the boards you have less opportunity in front of the net. Our skill players have done a fine job one-on-one getting to the puck and poking it to the open man along the boards and then cycling it to an open guy for a great offensive opportunity and crashing the goaltender after the shot takes off - I advocate changing nothing right now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
In all seriousness, I'd like you to point to one moment this season where you thought "gee, if the Hawks were more physical there, they'd have been better off" - it's a myth.

The game's a little bit different in the playoffs, and you know that as well. Goals are tougher to come by as teams play tougher in the defensive end and in the neutral zone. Guys are much more physical, finishing checks, etc. Hopefully it's different this year, but think of Kane in some of those playoff games the past couple years. I just think another grinder (not goon) in there could help out. I hope Roszival starts doing something on the back end to get playing time as I think a guy like that is needed - and is why he was acquired - we can't go in with all these little puck movers like Oduya and Leddy game in and game out in the playoffs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 07:59 AM)
Saad is so much fun to watch in open ice.

He's really good, very strong on the puck and blends well with Toews and Hossa.

I dont like our taking shots from the point approach on the power play that much. Anaheim doesnt pull their pressure out to our d men so we just had guys with so-so shots wailing away at their guys blocking the net.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
I dont like our taking shots from the point approach on the power play that much. Anaheim doesnt pull their pressure out to our d men so we just had guys with so-so shots wailing away at their guys blocking the net.

The 4 on 3 for basically 4 minutes last night in OT was quite frustrating - gee, I wonder if they'll cycle the puck back and fourth and tank slap shots into traffic? I guess it works, but Anaheim had that locked down and gave this 30 year old freak out of nowhere goaltender enough vision to make the stops.

When was the last time the Chicago Blackhawks consistently had a decent, let alone dominant, power play? I've been a fan for nealy 40 years, seen solid teams and s***ty ones, but good or bad, it seems the PP has, at its BEST, been just about league average. Even when we won the damn Cup it was below. Last night's OT was beyond frustrating.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
When was the last time the Chicago Blackhawks consistently had a decent, let alone dominant, power play? I've been a fan for nealy 40 years, seen solid teams and s***ty ones, but good or bad, it seems the PP has, at its BEST, been just about league average. Even when we won the damn Cup it was below. Last night's OT was beyond frustrating.

Yes, the PP needs to improve, and last night's failure in OT was maddening. But to answer your question, 2 years ago it was 4th in the league.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
Yes, the PP needs to improve, and last night's failure in OT was maddening. But to answer your question, 2 years ago it was 4th in the league.

While they do not miss Campbell , they do miss that type of defenseman. That was never more evident than the 4 on 3 rotation of four forwads standing around playing catch.

In regards to physicality. The start of the San Jose game was a good game for that discussion.

The Blackhwaks are benefiting right now from team continuity.

Hopefully it carries into the playoffs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
The 4 on 3 for basically 4 minutes last night in OT was quite frustrating - gee, I wonder if they'll cycle the puck back and fourth and tank slap shots into traffic? I guess it works, but Anaheim had that locked down and gave this 30 year old freak out of nowhere goaltender enough vision to make the stops.

Anaheim's style is that way in which they bait you to shoot from the point into their entire PK crowding in front of the net. They apply zero pressure to the blue line and let our D men who have horrible slappers take shots. That 4 on 3 was maddening. All they needed to do was pass across the blue paint just once and its game over.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)
Anaheim's style is that way in which they bait you to shoot from the point into their entire PK crowding in front of the net. They apply zero pressure to the blue line and let our D men who have horrible slappers take shots. That 4 on 3 was maddening. All they needed to do was pass across the blue paint just once and its game over.

On a 4 on 3 it's impossible to prevent shots, you just try to limit them to the worst ones you can. You just play a pretty tight, rotating triangle and if they get a long shot to go in, so be it, make them beat you on that and hope it's not on a complete cross-ice pass. If it's circle to high slot or vice versa, it's not as bad. Every time it went down low, everyone collapsed. They did look to make that pass a few times, but it just wasn't there.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)
Erik Karlsson had his Achilles cut by Matt Cooke's skate and is done for the year. That was not fun to watch.

Ouch. At first it doesn't seem like a big deal, then he tries to skate away and you can just see the grimacing pain in his face. Tough blow for Ottawa, he was an offensive juggernaut from the blue line.

Is that considered a dirty hit/action by you guys? Im just starting to come around to hockey this season, and to me it didnt look any more intentional than any other rough-housing on the boards, but reading some of the reaction to it, it seems like because of who did it(Cooke) and his reputation that it is something that might get reviewed by the league

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
Is that considered a dirty hit/action by you guys? Im just starting to come around to hockey this season, and to me it didnt look any more intentional than any other rough-housing on the boards, but reading some of the reaction to it, it seems like because of who did it(Cooke) and his reputation that it is something that might get reviewed by the league

I didn't see this injury specifically, but in the past it has always been a random freak accident.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)

This incident definitely seemed to be an accident, but Cooke's reputation precedes him so people are still questioning the intent. He was trying to get leverage against Karlsson's leg, but his leg got a bad angle and his skate came down on his ankle. There are definitely examples in the past of people trying to spike the opponent with their skate, but this does not seem like one of those cases.