2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
In all seriousness, I fully expect Spurs/Heat. They're the better teams and that series would be signficantly more watchable.

Spurs would be run over. Who would stop the Heat fast break?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 20, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
Spurs would be run over. Who would stop the Heat fast break?

The Heat average about 90 possessions per 48 minutes. I don't have the exact stats, but I would assume 85 or more of them do not end in a fastbreak dunk. The Spurs will have something to say about those.

Also, fun fact for the day: the Spurs played at a significantly faster pace than the Heat this year, averaging nearly 4 extra possessions per game.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
Dwight in Houston would be sick.

The only future in LA is in Cliptown, which would also be sweet. The Lakers need to tear that team down and rebuild. Let Kobe go play his last couple seasons somewhere else to try and win one more.

I would give either Memphis or San Antonio about a 5% chance of beating the Heat. Memphis could play shut down defense and get hot from the field and the Heat playing their 3rd straight very physical series in a row could be their end. I could also see the Spurs getting really hot from outside and playing fundamentally sound and solid defense.

In the end, I could see those things, but I strongly, strongly doubt they will happen.

The Pacers or Grizzlies can make the Heat work, but their offensive struggles will make it hard to win the series. The Spurs are good on both ends of the floor. The Heat will actually have to execute to beat them.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 21, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
Cavs will most likely draft Nerlens Noel and their starting lineup would look something like this. Hm

Irving

Waiters

SF

Thompson

Noel.

I really would not like having to pick Noel if I had the #1 pick...he has a chance to be a nice defensive player, but probably not going to do much offensively...that's sort of setting your sights low with the numero uno...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
I really would not like having to pick Noel if I had the #1 pick...he has a chance to be a nice defensive player, but probably not going to do much offensively...that's sort of setting your sights low with the numero uno...

Cavs also have Varejao, who before his injury was one of the best centers in the NBA last year.

This draft is horrible. It's not like they'd be passing on sure-fire studs to take him. If he had gone back to school for some reason, he'd have been more likely to go outside the top-5 in 2014 than in it.

That said, guys that can average 12-10 with solid defense are extremely valuable commodities. A lot of teams would like to get their hands on guys like Joakim Noah or Tyson Chandler.

Defense wins championships, and center is still the most importantly position in the game. A supreme defensive player, with his size and athleticism, is still a pretty special player, even if he has an offensive game of Marcus Camby or Tyson Chandler. This is a weak draft, and the only other player worthy of the top pick is McLemore, but I don't see Cavs drafting him with Waiter as their 2 guard of the future. Noel probably won't be a superstar, but it fits them very well, and potentially set up for Decision Part Deux next year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:10 PM)
Cavs also have Varejao, who before his injury was one of the best centers in the NBA last year.

The problem with that is that Varejao is made of glass. He's almost always hurt, he's only played 81 games over the last three years. If he does somehow stay healthy, he'll probably get more than he's worth in 2015 free agency.

I'd say Varejao makes it easier to take Noel since you don't need him to play right away coming off the injury.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:10 PM)

The same center who people actually thought he finally figure it out at age 30, who would be 31 years old by the start of next season, and who only played 81 games combined the past 3 seasons?