2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
That's because he is fat and slow. He's tall, WIDE, and takes up a lot of space (which is enough to be considered good by 2013 big man standards). He averages under 30 MPG because he gets winded easily. 12 and 8? c'mon now. And he's going to have to guard Bosh this series. It's going to be raining jumpers or Bosh will just blow right by him. I know you big ten guys watch that crap and think it's real basketball, but it's not. That's what the pacers play like. Doesn't work in the vastly new and improved NBA.

I don't get it...we're in 2013 and this is the new improved NBA so I guess Hibbert would have been absolutely dominate back in the day?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 19, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
I don't get it...we're in 2013 and this is the new improved NBA so I guess Hibbert would have been absolutely dominate back in the day?

It's a lost cause. Logic is lost on him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Welp, congrats to the three-time eastern conference champion Heat. I thought maybe with their 3-point shooting that the Knicks could get hot (kinda like the Mavs in '11) and possibly shock the world. Pacers? Boring. Heat in 5.

Pacers are better then the Knicks. Knicks are soft. Pacers might be able to wear the Heat down a bit. But it should be an easy series. Heat would have routed the Knicks though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
Pacers are better then the Knicks. Knicks are soft. Pacers might be able to wear the Heat down a bit. But it should be an easy series. Heat would have routed the Knicks though.

Foul Lebron as hard and as often as you can.

The "Jordan Rules" from the Pistons.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2013 -> 11:35 PM)
My scenario happened in '11. Your scenario hasn't worked since the 90's. Whatever. I think we can both agree that the Heat are going to win the title. As somebody who really doesn't want to see that happen, I was looking for anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that could possibly take place to keep that from occurring. I'm not even sure this Pacer team is as good as the 2007 Bulls.

It's not remotely "your scenario" because the Mavericks were actually good. 8th in defensive efficiency instead of 18th. 61.2% true shooting percentage for Dirk as opposed to 56% for Melo (and Melo was at 49.7% in the playoffs this year). A much bigger lineup so they weren't trying to go small against the best small-ball team in the league. Plus as I already said, the Mavericks were going toe to toe with the Heat long before they started hitting 3's. If the Knicks hit 8 or fewer threes against the Heat like the Mavericks did three times, they lose by 15 (and they had another with 9). I'm not saying Dallas was a juggernaut or anything, Miami still should have won. They were solid though and Dirk and Terry were outstanding in the playoffs.

The second part doesn't even make sense. The Pistons won with a grind-it-out defense and a mediocre offense (18th in the league), beating the superstar-laden Lakers in the process. The Celtics were fairly average offensively the last several years either and they've been highly successful (a respectable 10th when they won it all, 15th when they lost in 7 to the Lakers, 27th when they took the Heat to 7 (yeah, I know, Bosh)). Memphis is supposed to be the best hope against the Heat now, but their statistical profile is extremely similar to Indiana. Elite teams do tend to be fairly balanced, but I'm sure I could find others if I looked harder. We're talking about a specific matchup anyways, a team like the Bulls (healthy obviously) or Grizzlies is more likely to beat you at your own game if you play that style.

As I said, I don't expect Indiana to win because the Heat are very good. However, I'd say getting two is highly possible. If the Bulls can get one and hang in two others with half a roster, it's not that much of a stretch that the Pacers can get a pair considering they play a similar style.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 19, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
As I said, I don't expect Indiana to win because the Heat are very good. However, I'd say getting two is highly possible. If the Bulls can get one and hang in two others with half a roster, it's not that much of a stretch that the Pacers can get a pair considering they play a similar style.

To me, the Pacers chances hinge almost entirely on whether or not Hibbert can be a factor defensively in this series. When the Heat go small and stash Bosh in the corner on offense, can Hibbert provide effective help when Lebron and Wade drive? Hibbert is pretty limited on the offensive end (decent array of post moves, but not an overpowering scorer, not a great passer out of the post). If Hibbert is able to impact the series defensively, I think the Pacers lose in 6.

Dont get my initial statement wrong, I dont think the Pacers are going to win(although it would be hilarious and awesome), but I think the Pacers match up better than the Knicks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
Foul Lebron as hard and as often as you can.

The "Jordan Rules" from the Pistons.

The problem with that is you can't win like that anymore because of the way they call flagrants...you'd be giving up too many points and extra possessions.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 20, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
How the hell do the Eastern Finals not start until Wednesday? The Spurs and Grizzlies will have played twice before that one even starts...

I thought that was weird too, unless there's some scheduling conflict

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 20, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
But it would be an awesome series to watch

Only because the Heat wouldn't be a part of the series. There wouldn't be one hall of famer on the court if those teams played.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 20, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
Only because the Heat wouldn't be a part of the series. There wouldn't be one hall of famer on the court if those teams played.

Hall of famer? There wouldn't even be one all-star on the court (George is borderline at best).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Hall of famer? There wouldn't even be one all-star on the court (George is borderline at best).

Zack Randolph doesnt count either in the J4L rankings?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
Zack Randolph doesnt count either in the J4L rankings?

There are actually five players from those two teams that have appeared in an All-Star game (not counting Granger). But hey, the NBA is super-awesome right now, there's no way bums like that could make the All-Star game.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
There are actually five players from those two teams that have appeared in an All-Star game (not counting Granger). But hey, the NBA is super-awesome right now, there's no way bums like that could make the All-Star game.

burn

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
What about Marc Gasol? He's only the best center in the game right now.

He wasnt a 2013 all star so I didnt count him since J4L didnt clarify if we are talking about current or previous all stars.

If it is all star at any time, then we can bring in David West also

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
He wasnt a 2013 all star so I didnt count him since J4L didnt clarify if we are talking about current or previous all stars.

If it is all star at any time, then we can bring in David West also

2013 is when the NBA became new and improved.