2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2013062...orts/706259711/

Aldridge wants out of Portland and wants in on the Bulls. I don't see how we can pull it off. We'd have to trade Deng + Boozer. The thing is, why would Portland want Deng and maybe a 20 in this year's pick for Aldridge if they're rebuilding. You'd think they'd rather get a much higher pick and a good young player that isn't expiring.

I really like Aldridge, but is he THAT big of an upgrade over Boozer? I don't like Boozer much, but let's be realistic here.

Booz was putting up .550 TS% and plays a similar type of game to Aldridge before this year. The only reason we hated Boozer was for his defense and his playoff disappearances. The problem is that Aldridge isn't much more efficient than Boozer on offense, probably won't play much better defense, and doesn't have a great playoff resume himself. He is 4 years younger, so there's that. But I don't know if I'd empty the bank for Aldridge with Mirotic on the way. And we sure as hell shouldn't be even thinking of giving up Joakim for him.

Yes, I think he is.

This is exactly the type of move the Bulls need to make. If your options are resign Deng or trade him for Aldridge, I'd make that trade all day every day. I think the expiring in Deng would appeal to them if they truly are rebuilding, but the picks the Bulls have wouldn't really help at all.

And PLEASE do not resign Deng. He's an above average player, but there's always an excuse with him. He seems to be hurt more often than healthy, and signing him to a 10+ M contract kills any shot of bringing in a difference maker in 2014.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Yes, I think he is.

This is exactly the type of move the Bulls need to make. If your options are resign Deng or trade him for Aldridge, I'd make that trade all day every day. I think the expiring in Deng would appeal to them if they truly are rebuilding, but the picks the Bulls have wouldn't really help at all.

And PLEASE do not resign Deng. He's an above average player, but there's always an excuse with him. He seems to be hurt more often than healthy, and signing him to a 10+ M contract kills any shot of bringing in a difference maker in 2014.

If they make the trade, it'd have to be Deng + this year's first + maybe even the Charlotte pick. Remember, the Trail Blazers turned down the #1 pick for Aldridge.

They you can amnesty Boozer and use that money on a wing like Pierce or retain Bellinelli/Robinson.

Sounds great, but I don't see it happening.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
If they make the trade, it'd have to be Deng + this year's first + maybe even the Charlotte pick. Remember, the Trail Blazers turned down the #1 pick for Aldridge.

They you can amnesty Boozer and use that money on a wing like Pierce or retain Bellinelli/Robinson.

Sounds great, but I don't see it happening.

Would not come anywhere close to giving up the Charlotte pick for Aldrige unless the Bulls were clearing a ton of cap space.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
Would not come anywhere close to giving up the Charlotte pick for Aldrige unless the Bulls were clearing a ton of cap space.

Yeah. We've seen how trading future lottery picks worked out (Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard).

Word is that the Bulls may trade #20 for Thomas Robinson. The Cavs have #19 and they may use that to trade for Robinson as well.

The Bulls might have to sweeten the pot a bit. Also, the Bulls then plan to use Robinson as part of a bigger trade.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
Word is that the Bulls may trade #20 for Thomas Robinson. The Cavs have #19 and they may use that to trade for Robinson as well.

The Bulls might have to sweeten the pot a bit. Also, the Bulls then plan to use Robinson as part of a bigger trade.

I don't think the Bulls could trade for Robinson directly. They can't package the trade exemption with a draft pick IIRC, and they can't take on salary. They'd need something else there.

Oh, guys. I hope I'm proven wrong, but believing any sort of hype around a possible trade involving the Bulls has proven futile. The only additions you'll see are possible last man off the bench trash and of course a well-scouted 1st rounder who should contribute in a year or two.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
Oh, guys. I hope I'm proven wrong, but believing any sort of hype around a possible trade involving the Bulls has proven futile. The only additions you'll see are possible last man off the bench trash and of course a well-scouted 1st rounder who should contribute in a year or two.

Unfortunate, but true.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)

You continue to be accurate with this post. Still fun to speculate.

Any guesses on who they'll bring in with the min-MLE as their outside shooter?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2013062...orts/706259711/

Aldridge wants out of Portland and wants in on the Bulls. I don't see how we can pull it off. We'd have to trade Deng + Boozer. The thing is, why would Portland want Deng and maybe a 20 in this year's pick for Aldridge if they're rebuilding. You'd think they'd rather get a much higher pick and a good young player that isn't expiring.

I really like Aldridge, but is he THAT big of an upgrade over Boozer? I don't like Boozer much, but let's be realistic here.

Booz was putting up .550 TS% and plays a similar type of game to Aldridge before this year. The only reason we hated Boozer was for his defense and his playoff disappearances. The problem is that Aldridge isn't much more efficient than Boozer on offense, probably won't play much better defense, and doesn't have a great playoff resume himself. He is 4 years younger, so there's that. But I don't know if I'd empty the bank for Aldridge with Mirotic on the way. And we sure as hell shouldn't be even thinking of giving up Joakim for him.

Aldridge isn't a tier-one star, but he's definitely better than Boozer. You have to remember that Boozer's plus/minus numbers in Chicago are just horrendous. They were -8.7/100 possessions with him on the floor this year, -8.6 in 11/12 and a more respectable but still bad -3.1 in 10/11. Now admittedly part of that is the freakishness of Taj's D off the bench (Noah was a minus on D before this year too), but it makes sense when you watch the Bulls and that doesn't explain why he was a -4 offensively this year. His help defense is brutal and he frequently disappears offensively, especially against quality athletes.

There are several reasons to think Aldridge would be more effective. 1) He's much more mobile defensively and has been solidly positive on that end for Portland (3.4, 7.8 and 6 points better the last 3 years). 2) He's much longer than Boozer, which means he can get his shot off against anyone. 3) He's a more dangerous mid-range shooter, which would improve the Bulls' spacing (admittedly he shoots a few too many, which is why his TS% isn't higher even though he's a good finisher). 4) Most importantly, he's young and still in his peak while Boozer is on the decline.

However, it's moot because it's not happening. Portland reportly rejected #1 and #19 from Cleveland rather quickly, which doesn't bode well for the Bulls. They don't really have any reason to take on Deng or Boozer and wouldn't be offering any young pieces as interesting as #1. In theory, they might be able to do it for Noah or Butler and the Cats' pick, but neither one really makes sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)

I think we should stop thinking that the Charlotte pick is going to be a major piece. Remember, they have to be terrible for THREE more seasons before it's unprotected. If they hit any picks at all over the next 3 drafts (and they are owed two more potential lottery picks), it's going to be a late lottery pick. Then factor in that most rookies need 2 or 3 years to be really effective and it could be a totally different roster by the time it pays off at all. Noah will be in his mid-30's by then. :o

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Aldridge isn't a tier-one star, but he's definitely better than Boozer. You have to remember that Boozer's plus/minus numbers in Chicago are just horrendous. They were -8.7/100 possessions with him on the floor this year, -8.6 in 11/12 and a more respectable but still bad -3.1 in 10/11. Now admittedly part of that is the freakishness of Taj's D off the bench (Noah was a minus on D before this year too), but it makes sense when you watch the Bulls and that doesn't explain why he was a -4 offensively this year. His help defense is brutal and he frequently disappears offensively, especially against quality athletes.

There are several reasons to think Aldridge would be more effective. 1) He's much more mobile defensively and has been solidly positive on that end for Portland (3.4, 7.8 and 6 points better the last 3 years). 2) He's much longer than Boozer, which means he can get his shot off against anyone. 3) He's a more dangerous mid-range shooter, which would improve the Bulls' spacing (admittedly he shoots a few too many, which is why his TS% isn't higher even though he's a good finisher). 4) Most importantly, he's young and still in his peak while Boozer is on the decline.

However, it's moot because it's not happening. Portland reportly rejected #1 and #19 from Cleveland rather quickly, which doesn't bode well for the Bulls. They don't really have any reason to take on Deng or Boozer and wouldn't be offering any young pieces as interesting as #1. In theory, they might be able to do it for Noah or Butler and the Cats' pick, but neither one really makes sense.

Is it Aldridge, Batum or both that you have a mancrush on? I can't remember. Anyway, yeah, I agree with all of this. Aldridge >> Boozer without any hesitation.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
I think we should stop thinking that the Charlotte pick is going to be a major piece. Remember, they have to be terrible for THREE more seasons before it's unprotected. If they hit any picks at all over the next 3 drafts (and they are owed two more potential lottery picks), it's going to be a late lottery pick. Then factor in that most rookies need 2 or 3 years to be really effective and it could be a totally different roster by the time it pays off at all. Noah will be in his mid-30's by then. :o

I'm of the opposite opinion...I think the way the new CBA has shaped up, late lottery picks have even grown in value from the time the Bulls got that pick traded to them. A guy who contributes somewhat under a rookie contract has never been more valuable in the NBA, and that's what late lottery picks can do.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)

I understand that he is better than Boozer. However, I just don't think it's worth whatever Portland will end up demanding. We don't need a jump shooting big man.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
I'm of the opposite opinion...I think the way the new CBA has shaped up, late lottery picks have even grown in value from the time the Bulls got that pick traded to them. A guy who contributes somewhat under a rookie contract has never been more valuable in the NBA, and that's what late lottery picks can do.

Bird in hand worth 2 in bush. If Bulls can add Aldridge and just give up a future pick, you do it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
Bird in hand worth 2 in bush. If Bulls can add Aldridge and just give up a future pick, you do it.

Clearly it's not "Just a future pick" since something would have to match the salaries. That's Deng, Boozer, or Noah. Deng for Aldridge leaves the Bulls with a moderately screwed up roster. Boozer could be amnesthetized in that case, but that leaves the Bulls for want of a shooting guard again. Noah + the pick for Aldridge I think we can all hesitate about, I wouldn't come close to doing that unless Noah's health was going the way of Greg Oden. Boozer + the pick I don't know why the Blazers would do that; if they trade for Boozer they can't amnesty him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I understand that he is better than Boozer. However, I just don't think it's worth whatever Portland will end up demanding. We don't need a jump shooting big man.

His ability to shoot is an asset when not abused. And unlike Boozer, he has post moves. His length next to Noah would be sick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)

I wouldn't say they've gone up in value, guys contributing on rookie contracts have always been valuable. The problem is two fold 1) Finding a guy that can be a starter-caliber player in the late lottery, 2) We're not talking about a 2013 or 2014 pick even, we're likely looking at 2015 or 2016. That means it can easily be 4 or 5 years before they get a guy that "contributes somewhat" out of that pick. How much of Rose's prime are we going to waste treading water?

Why is it "clearly" not a future pick?

If Portland wants to rebuild, why would multiple firsts not be something to consider?

Trading Noah makes no sense for the Bulls, and Boozer/Deng are to expensive to make sense for TB unless their is a 3rd team involved.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Why is it "clearly" not a future pick?

Because the Bulls cannot take Aldridge's salary on without giving up an equal amount of salary.

Worse, since Deng's contract ends next year but Aldridge's doesn't, they could put themselves in a position where they can't find the money to bring over Mirotic either.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
Is it Aldridge, Batum or both that you have a mancrush on? I can't remember. Anyway, yeah, I agree with all of this. Aldridge >> Boozer without any hesitation.

I loved Aldridge out of the draft and early career. Now he's just a garden-variety fringe-star. Batum's just an interesting player, never really a guy I was enthralled with.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
I loved Aldridge out of the draft and early career. Now he's just a garden-variety fringe-star. Batum's just an interesting player, never really a guy I was enthralled with.

Your obsession for the latter is only when he's healthy and we're talking your keeper fantasy team.