2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
Trading Deng for a 2014 draft pick would not be "White Flagging it" for this year given what the roster looks like right now. Butler can slide into Deng's starting role, they still have players in the backcourt, and they would have the MLE to fill in the gaps without doing long-term damage to their financial flexibility. That said, Steve continues to be right; the front office just isn't that aggressive.

Yes, we're obviously all talking in hypothetical land where the Bulls make a big move to better their team.

However, for fun, I don't think getting rid of your second best offensive player makes much sense. Butler has shown flashes, but I dont know that he's there yet. You're asking him to replace an all-star. That's a little unfair. And again, that's raising the flag that you're not competing next year and you're really waiting for 2014-2015 when you can amnesty boozer and try to sign a big free agent.

And I said 2015 because I think it'd be tough for 2/5th's of your starting line-up to gel in one season.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
If they could amnesty Boozer, trade Deng, sign a SG then what about this Alex Len cat? Wouldn't Noah and Len give the Heat fits down low? They both seem athletic enough to play the 4 or the 5. Does trading Deng and using the amnesty on Boozer free up enough money to get a Mayo/Ellis/Evans/Derozan? Are any of those guys even a good pair with Rose?

Edit- I guess doing all this before they see who is actually available via FA could be a bad move.

You should really just stop thinking about the Bulls having any cap space. They have way too many big contracts to add another one via free agency.

Also, Alex Len is a project that should end up being a pure center.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
They do? Other than the rookie they'd likely draft with the pick that will be a downgrade, who are their other 2-guard/wing players? Hinrich? They'd still have the tax payer MLE as is, the only difference it would make is allowing them to pay about $5 million instead of 3. That's not exactly going to be the difference between Keith Bogans and Kobe Bryant. Moving Deng also doesn't "improve their financial flexibility" at all since he's an expiring contract.

It's not a complete "white flag", but it clearly hurts their current team.

Hinrich, Teague, Rose, #3/#1 pick is a moderately deep backcourt assuming whoever they draft can come in and at least start out of the gates. Yes, they would need to use the MLE (or mini-MLE) to sign someone to provide additional depth in there.

The trick winds up being what they'd take back for Deng. If they have to take back Okafor...they have their backup C for the year, but they lose that financial flexibility. If they can move Deng's salary off completely, that clears money for this year (and also gets them under the tax line so they're not repeat-offending).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
They do? Other than the rookie they'd likely draft with the pick that will be a downgrade, who are their other 2-guard/wing players? Hinrich? They'd still have the tax payer MLE as is, the only difference it would make is allowing them to pay about $5 million instead of 3. That's not exactly going to be the difference between Keith Bogans and Kobe Bryant. Moving Deng also doesn't "improve their financial flexibility" at all since he's an expiring contract.

It's not a complete "white flag", but it clearly hurts their current team.

Is there any hope of Teague making a Butler like jump? Wasn't the plan when signing Kirk to play him a bit at SG?

Could we see a Rose/Teague PG duo with a ?/Hinrich SG duo?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
Is there any hope of Teague making a Butler like jump? Wasn't the plan when signing Kirk to play him a bit at SG?

I think that's exactly what is shaping up this year. Right now, that ? is Jimmy Butler as the roster currently stands. Having Rose back might well help Hinrich stay a bit healtheir.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:52 PM)
Far as statistical and overall on-court (LeBron will never be as loved/popular) impact? Better? I wouldn't say that. Just as good? Definitely. If you want to break it up some and compare their individual skill-sets, etc, I see it like this:

Getting to the rim and finishing: LeBron

Ball-handling: Tie

Post-game: MJ

Mid-range: MJ

Long-range: Tie (and I'm being generous here. Three of Michael's four best seasons from deep came when the 3-point line was moved in. Another year or two like '13 from LeBron, and he's got the edge)

Rebounding: LeBron

Passing: LeBron

Defense: LeBron (his freakish size and versatility or the ability to guard every position on the floor well trumps Michael's insane on-ball defense)

These are the things that you can either use stats or simply your eyes (though I'm sure some will disagree).

I look at Kobe and the level he was playing at before his injury at age 34 and then think about LeBron, who's bigger, stronger, more athletic and injury-proof, and it's easy to project that he could very well still be the best player in the game at 34-35 if he plays until then (much like MJ).

What about TWTW???

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Is there any hope of Teague making a Butler like jump?

Probably not. In limited playing time as a rookie Butler at least showed signs and flashes of being a decent NBA player. Marquis Teague was horrendous basically every time he stepped on the floor last year.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
You should really just stop thinking about the Bulls having any cap space. They have way too many big contracts to add another one via free agency.

Also, Alex Len is a project that should end up being a pure center.

Ya we went through this last year, guess I never learned my lesson. It just seems weird to me that we can dump 2 big contracts in Deng and Boozer and not be able to pick up 1 big contract in return.

With Len, I've literally only seen youtube videos on him and read some scouting reports so I know close to nothing about him. From what little I've read and saw on youtube, and from what I know about Noah, I think one or the other can man the 4 spot. But with the apparent lack of cap space even with the amnesty of Boozer it would make little sense for them to take him over a McLemore/Porter/Oladipo.....Disregard that last post.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
The Bulls are sitting at $73 million right now. If you clear Boozer and Deng while taking no salary back, that drops them to $43 million. But, a high draft pick is somewhat pricey; third pick is guaranteed $3.5 million, 1st pick $5 million. The cap has hung at around $58 million the last couple years and probably stays close to that. If the Bulls could move both of them while taking no money back, they're close to $48 million and could sign an $8-$10 million player under the cap this year.

It's not even that high because of cap holds. That $43 million is for only 7 players (with only 5 of them being actual rotation players since it includes Teague and Thomas), which means they need to fill 6 more roster spots. When you factor in the high pick that they're talking about getting, you're not going to end up with any more room than with the full MLE.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
Hinrich, Teague, Rose, #3/#1 pick is a moderately deep backcourt assuming whoever they draft can come in and at least start out of the gates. Yes, they would need to use the MLE (or mini-MLE) to sign someone to provide additional depth in there.

The trick winds up being what they'd take back for Deng. If they have to take back Okafor...they have their backup C for the year, but they lose that financial flexibility. If they can move Deng's salary off completely, that clears money for this year (and also gets them under the tax line so they're not repeat-offending).

Not really because those first three are all point guards. Teague isn't going to add meaningful minutes at either the 2 or the 3 and Hinrich isn't going to add any at the 3. You would absolutely need to add a SG/SF that can handle major minutes with the MLE, especially since a rookie from this class isn't likely to give you 35 quality minutes at the 2.

With your current situation, you have two wing players that can/will play huge minutes, so you can afford to just add a designated shooter off the bench for that position.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)

I don't really see how Teague makes a meaningful difference in the standings unless Rose gets hurt. Rose is probably going to play 35 a night if not more, leaving only 13 for the backup (some of which would go to Kirk). Teague isn't really an option at the 2.

We'll probably see Kirk at the 2, but we should all be very afraid if their plan is to give him significant minutes there.

I guess my main issue is I'm not in love with any of the wings they might get at that pick. I'd have much rather had Beal or Barnes.

Oladipo, I'm sure they love him for his defense and he'd be a great fit on a team like OKC that has two other guys to do the heavy lifting offensively. However, I'm not sure he'll ever be the answer on that end for the Bulls, and unless they pull a stud out of their ass, they can't put more than one limited offensive player on the floor regularly (and I'm counting Noah and Gibson in that category).

Porter, he's a pretty safe prospect that should be able to start, but he doesn't have great upside. MAYBE he can be a Danny Granger type, but I wouldn't bet on him being better than Deng. That means the main benefit with him is financial, and as I said, the Bulls would have a hard time getting max space.

McLemore, I just don't know. He has the 3-point shot and the athleticism you look for, but it's hard to say if he'll be a real difference maker. He very rarely put the ball on the floor and created his own shot at Kansas, so I'm somewhat dubious that he's going to be a potential All-Star wing. A lot of the experts have compared him to Brandon Rush, that should terrify you if your team drafts him. That's a little harsh since he'd be my pick for the Bulls, but I'm not sold that he'll be more than a low-teens scorer in the NBA.

Basically, my opinion is that in order to break up a likely 60-win team, you had better be pretty confident the move will eventually pay off down the road. I don't see that in this draft.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

SCOTTIE PIPPEN ARRESTED

Scottie Pippen has just been arrested for felony assault ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us, Pippen turned himself in to authorities in Malibu moments ago. He's being booked for felony assault with intent to commit great bodily harm.

TMZ broke the story ... Pippen allegedly brutalized an autograph seeker outside Nobu restaurant Sunday night. The man was knocked out after Pippen allegedly punched him in the face and kicked him repeatedly.

Pippen left the scene. As for the victim ... he was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, including broken teeth and a swollen mouth. He also suffered injuries to his head and back.