2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
The other thing with the Bulls is that they're also looking long-term as well. Having Mirotic stuffed away makes that the case.

You're right though that Oladipo should not go #1. He'd definitely be a very interesting guy to pair with Thibs over a couple seasons though...think of the steps forward Butler has taken then imagine what a guy more athletic could do.

I don't think the Cavs would do Deng + #20 for the #1, but I wonder if there's any team in the top 5 that might do Deng + #20 for their slot. Oladipo could well be available for several picks and he could be an interesting fit.

And no, I wouldn't give up the Bobcats pick for anything in this draft.

Yes, but the Bulls took Mirotic in the 20s. If the Bulls trade Deng for a top 5 pick, I suspect it would be for someone they would want to contribute right away. Oladipo will be solid on defense right from the start, but he's going to have some issues offensively.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
I don't think the Cavs would do Deng + #20 for the #1, but I wonder if there's any team in the top 5 that might do Deng + #20 for their slot. Oladipo could well be available for several picks and he could be an interesting fit.

Right on cue:

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Chicago Bulls, in their latest attempt to gauge the trade value of All-Star swingman Luol Deng, have had exploratory discussions with Washington about a deal that would land Deng with the Wizards and bring the No. 3 pick in Thursday's draft to the Bulls.

The most likely trade construction, if talks were to progress to the serious stage, would send Deng to the Wizards for the No. 3 pick and center Emeka Okafor, who would have to formally opt into his contract for next season ($14.5 million) this week for the trade to go through.

Yet it's worth noting that Cleveland, sources say, has interest in Deng as well ... and there will surely be other potential trade partners to surface if the Bulls decide they're legitimately ready to part with Deng after years of flirting with the idea.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
Yes, but the Bulls took Mirotic in the 20s. If the Bulls trade Deng for a top 5 pick, I suspect it would be for someone they would want to contribute right away. Oladipo will be solid on defense right from the start, but he's going to have some issues offensively.

The one big thing trading Deng could do is give the bulls the full MLE this year, if it pushed them far enough under the luxury tax. That could be used to add scoring help. Plus at SG, let's not forget that Hinrich will almost certainly spend some time there.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
I can't believe I'm saying this given my pessimism last year, but I think I'd rather take my chances with the Bulls' current core this year. Rose/Butler/Deng/Boozer/Noah is a very solid starting 5 even though it doesn't feature a second star. Hinrich also looks far better as a backup PG and they still have Taj. My only real concern would be questionable outside shooting, which could be addressed by adding a wing off the bench or two.

Of course if we were talking about a top-5 pick in the 2014 pick instead of the 2013 draft, my answer would be very different. I just don't see the value that the phrase "#1 pick" would normally deliver. Noel is really a luxury for the Bulls unless they do something drastic with their frontcourt. Long-term, you're likely looking at Noah/Mirotic/Gibson, which is a capable 3-man rotation. A wing would make more sense, but your top three options (McLemore, Oladipo and Porter) aren't exactly can't-miss options. I don't think you can say with any kind of confidence that any of those three will be better than Butler or Deng in the next 3 years. There is certainly a financial benefit, but that affects JR's checking account more than your roster flexibility. Rose+Noah+Taj is almost $40 million already and the #1 pick and Mirotic is about $10 million more. That leaves MAYBE $10 million for the other 8 roster spots.

If they had a shot at Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker it'd be a no-brainer, but then Cleveland wouldn't even consider trading the pick.

I just don't see how they get past the Heat with Boozer.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
I just don't see how they get past the Heat with Boozer.

Meh, everyone has a hole here or there, even the Heat. Besides, it's not like that trade would change anything up front unless they took Noel (which seems unlikely).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Meh, everyone has a hole here or there, even the Heat. Besides, it's not like that trade would change anything up front unless they took Noel (which seems unlikely).

Well I was thinking about that - why not draft Noel and have him play alongside Noah as your PF? That'd be a pretty awesome defensive tandem.

Deng for #3 + Okafor is being discussed.

So take my previous thing and Oladipo (or McLemore) still makes sense.

Only reason I said Oladipo is because he's the Bulls type of player and I could see them doing it in this draft.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Well I was thinking about that - why not draft Noel and have him play alongside Noah as your PF? That'd be a pretty awesome defensive tandem.

It'd be equally pitiful offensively. It would also likely result in dumping Gibson somewhere since you'd have roughly $30 million tied up in Noah, Noel, Gibson and Mirotic for the near future. It also sets you back for 2013/14 since he's going to miss a large chunk of the season and probably take him at least two years to be an above-average starter.

It's just not a big need for the Bulls. If he were some 20-10 threat, okay, but they already have two athletic bigs with questionable offensive abilities.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
It'd be equally pitiful offensively. It would also likely result in dumping Gibson somewhere since you'd have roughly $30 million tied up in Noah, Noel, Gibson and Mirotic for the near future. It also sets you back for 2013/14 since he's going to miss a large chunk of the season and probably take him at least two years to be an above-average starter.

It's just not a big need for the Bulls. If he were some 20-10 threat, okay, but they already have two athletic bigs with questionable offensive abilities.

I'm fine dumping Gibson. He's basically Noel right now, right? Plus defender and average (at best) offensively. For every highlight dunk Gibson gets he bricks 10 wide open 12 foot jumpers. I seriously hope last year was just a bad year for him. And if the Bulls are trading Deng for a prospect they're already raising the white flag on competing until 2014 (or more likely 2015). So you can be patient with Noel.

But I agree, they have bigger needs. If they can get the #3 pick and get some frontcourt depth, that's the better move.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
I'm fine dumping Gibson. He's basically Noel right now, right? Plus defender and average (at best) offensively. For every highlight dunk Gibson gets he bricks 10 wide open 12 foot jumpers. I seriously hope last year was just a bad year for him. And if the Bulls are trading Deng for a prospect they're already raising the white flag on competing until 2014 (or more likely 2015). So you can be patient with Noel.

But I agree, they have bigger needs. If they can get the #3 pick and get some frontcourt depth, that's the better move.

White flagging 2014 would be really stupid.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)

Trading Deng for a 2014 draft pick would not be "White Flagging it" for this year given what the roster looks like right now. Butler can slide into Deng's starting role, they still have players in the backcourt, and they would have the MLE to fill in the gaps without doing long-term damage to their financial flexibility. That said, Steve continues to be right; the front office just isn't that aggressive.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Oh, guys. You're falling for the bs rumor mill. Big trades involving the Chicago Bulls do not happen. Trading Deng for a pick and cap relief would be too magical.

+1.

If a trade rumor comes out and its makes a ton of sense for the Bulls and makes them better, its not going to happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
Trading Deng for a 2014 draft pick would not be "White Flagging it" for this year given what the roster looks like right now. Butler can slide into Deng's starting role, they still have players in the backcourt, and they would have the MLE to fill in the gaps without doing long-term damage to their financial flexibility. That said, Steve continues to be right; the front office just isn't that aggressive.

Ya...this, all of this.

If they could amnesty Boozer, trade Deng, sign a SG then what about this Alex Len cat? Wouldn't Noah and Len give the Heat fits down low? They both seem athletic enough to play the 4 or the 5. Does trading Deng and using the amnesty on Boozer free up enough money to get a Mayo/Ellis/Evans/Derozan? Are any of those guys even a good pair with Rose?

Edit- I guess doing all this before they see who is actually available via FA could be a bad move.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)

I think you're missing the point on my "dump" comment. How many teams are going to give you major assets for a backup making $8 mil a year? You'd likely struggle to get similar value back for him. That's important because they're trying to build their roster, not take away from it like they have the last couple of years.

I'm not remotely a fan of the "white flag" trade given they're a likely 60-win team with decent health. That's basically my point, the return on a trade like that in this draft is at least as likely to result in a step back if not moreso. Who is your starting SF if you draft Noel? You're taking apart your team that should be on the short list of contenders for a guy that most think would be about as good as your current starting center if he pans out.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
If they could amnesty Boozer, trade Deng, sign a SG then what about this Alex Len cat? Wouldn't Noah and Len give the Heat fits down low? They both seem athletic enough to play the 4 or the 5. Does trading Deng and using the amnesty on Boozer free up enough money to get a Mayo/Ellis/Evans/Derozan? Are any of those guys even a good pair with Rose?

Edit- I guess doing all this before they see who is actually available via FA could be a bad move.

The Bulls are sitting at $73 million right now. If you clear Boozer and Deng while taking no salary back, that drops them to $43 million. But, a high draft pick is somewhat pricey; third pick is guaranteed $3.5 million, 1st pick $5 million. The cap has hung at around $58 million the last couple years and probably stays close to that. If the Bulls could move both of them while taking no money back, they're close to $48 million and could sign an $8-$10 million player under the cap this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)

They do? Other than the rookie they'd likely draft with the pick that will be a downgrade, who are their other 2-guard/wing players? Hinrich? They'd still have the tax payer MLE as is, the only difference it would make is allowing them to pay about $5 million instead of 3. That's not exactly going to be the difference between Keith Bogans and Kobe Bryant. Moving Deng also doesn't "improve their financial flexibility" at all since he's an expiring contract.

It's not a complete "white flag", but it clearly hurts their current team.