2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
His ability to shoot is an asset when not abused. And unlike Boozer, he has post moves. His length next to Noah would be sick.

The entire goal in the NBA right now is to beat the Heat. The Spurs and Pacers showed how you do that - a well balanced attack with lane defense, the ability to get out and cover perimeter shooters, and forcing LeBron to play the mid-range game. The problem is that neither were able to finish the goal. You can also attack them defensively with an attacking point guard, perimeter shooters, and a good post game. If the Bulls bring back Belinelli and can bring in one more shooter, they would ideally have all 3 of those with Aldridge. As is, they might have 1 in Rose because Boozer is overmatched against the Heat.

Being real here, you aren't going to "shut" Miami down offensively, and it's still going to be difficult to beat their defense. Aldridge gives you some ability to space while allowing you to better clog the lane.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
Being real here, you aren't going to "shut" Miami down offensively, and it's still going to be difficult to beat their defense. Aldridge gives you some ability to space while allowing you to better clog the lane.

Isn't that exactly what happened when they played the Bulls in 2011? The 2 teams beat the living daylights out of each other, nobody could score, and the Heat closed better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Because the Bulls cannot take Aldridge's salary on without giving up an equal amount of salary.

Worse, since Deng's contract ends next year but Aldridge's doesn't, they could put themselves in a position where they can't find the money to bring over Mirotic either.

Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch since they're at that point anyways unless they amnesty Boozer. Unless you think they'd really just let Deng walk with no significant replacements...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
Isn't that exactly what happened when they played the Bulls in 2011? The 2 teams beat the living daylights out of each other, nobody could score, and the Heat closed better.

Thats pretty much what happens everytime they meet in the playoffs

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch since they're at that point anyways unless they amnesty Boozer. Unless you think they'd really just let Deng walk with no significant replacements...

If they Amnesty Boozer and Deng isn't immediately resigned next offseason, the Bulls will be at $47 million counting this year and next year's draft picks and assuming they don't sign anyone. That room to play with would be fairly useful

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)

It's a little different shutting down the Heat in the "we're starting Joel Anthony and Mike Bibby's corpse" era and the more recent versions of the Heat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
If they Amnesty Boozer and Deng isn't immediately resigned next offseason, the Bulls will be at $47 million counting this year and next year's draft picks and assuming they don't sign anyone. That room to play with would be fairly useful

Deng's still a 28 year old All-Star. Cap space or no, you can't let that walk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)

Yes, IF they amnesty Boozer, which is what I said. Without that decision, they're back in the mid-60's with several roster spots still left to fill.

If you acquire Aldridge and amnesty Boozer, you're still in the low-60's, only now you have a 20-9 type big on the roster while still having enough room to add Mirotic.

Or to word it a different way, acquiring Aldridge wouldn't be what prevents them from adding Mirotic, it will be keeping Boozer's bloated contract figure on the roster.

Just to add to this a bit...

1) They'd likely have to do something with Taj in this situation. They'd have something like $13 million for Mirotic and Taj off the bench, which is a lot. Ideally, he'd get dealt for a wing. Or I suppose he could go in the trade.

2) As I said, it's moot anyways because it'd take some kind of miraculous 3-team trade to get Aldridge to Chicago.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Though rather complex wouldn't something like this work out?

Portland gets #1,#20, and the bobcats pick

Cleveland gets T Robinson and Deng

Houston gets rid of the cap space like they are looking to do

Bulls get Aldridge

So the Bulls lose both their pick this year, the Bobcats pick, and Deng, and don't wind up with any improvement in their cap situation out of it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
So the Bulls lose both their pick this year, the Bobcats pick, and Deng, and don't wind up with any improvement in their cap situation out of it?

Step 1- amnesty Boozer

Wow, your cap situation improved!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
This is just a weird and clearly inaccurate post.

12988273-mmmain.jpg

Mr. Cherry Pickerty, I also said they were not able to finish doing so.

How I should have worded it was said "They showed you how you CAN." Both teams were literally miracle last second shots away from winning their series. The Heat got incredibly lucky to win it this year. They earned it and played great in those last two game 7's, but they easily could have lost both series too.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Step 1- amnesty Boozer

Wow, your cap situation improved!

I may be wrong, but thought I have heard that using the amnesty on Boozer this year would provide minimal cap room.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)

Both their picks this year? I only have them losing 1 pick this year. Plus in this scenario they don't lose their trade exception so they can potentially use that on another piece. In this weak draft I don't mind giving up the 20th pick, and I agree with zoom on the Bobcats pick, it could take awhile for that to turn into anything. I also agree with J4L that a Aldridge/Noah duo would be sick.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
I may be wrong, but thought I have heard that using the amnesty on Boozer this year would provide minimal cap room.

It would put the Bulls under the luxury tax threshold but they wouldn't have anything really to spend. Right now they have the mini-mid-level-exemption for teams above the luxury tax line of $3.5 million to spend. If they amnesty Boozer, it would save JR Luxury tax dollars, but they'd only get upgraded to the normal-MLE of $5 million to spend.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Mr. Cherry Pickerty, I also said they were not able to finish doing so.

How I should have worded it was said "They showed you how you CAN." Both teams were literally miracle last second shots away from winning their series. The Heat got incredibly lucky to win it this year. They earned it and played great in those last two game 7's, but they easily could have lost both series too.

Exactly. And that is in two series where they had HUGE talent advantages.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)

They don't gain much from releasing guys, which is why I semi-sarcastically made that post. The only way they can get any kind of cap space is after this season if they let Deng walk and amnesty Boozer. At that point, they might have about $10 million in space. However, as I said, you have to drop two of your top-6 for basically nothing. You'd be looking at Rose/$10 million FA SG or SF/Butler/Gibson/Noah with rookie contract/vet minimum guys as your bench. Oh, and you wouldn't have any exceptions to use because you can't use both cap space and the exceptions. If you want to sign Mirotic, any money you spend on him comes out of your space to find a starting wing.

That's why any talk of "improving their cap situation" is silly to me. It's not like they're in a position to go out and get Lebron if he decides to leave Miami. The only "flexibility" they need is to be far enough under the apron to eventually bring over Mirotic, and even that is really only necessary for one year (I believe they'd have to be at $69 million with the current cap figures). Other than that, they need to be focused on the talent, not the contracts (within reason of course).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Time to put on the GM hat.

Am I the only one here that would trade Noah for Aldridge? You lose a little bit on defense, LMA isn't terrible defensively and working with Thibs could make him even better, but the offensive upside is makes up for that in a big way IMO.

Then trade Deng for a top 5 pick to take either McLemore, Porter, Oladipo, or Bennett.

Rose-McLemore-Butler-Boozer-Aldridge has the potential to be dynamite offensively. Defensively Thibs would have his work cut out for him, but Thibs being Thibs I think he can get the team to play good enough D to be a VERY dangerous team.

Or perhaps they can amnesty Boozer to beef up the defense with Taj getting the starting PF position.

Would Kevin Love be possible next year in this scenario (Boozer amnestied)? Good lord could you imagine Rose-Mclemore-Butler-Love-Aldridge?? How would you stop that team?!

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 12:04 AM)
Time to put on the GM hat.

Am I the only one here that would trade Noah for Aldridge? You lose a little bit on defense, LMA isn't terrible defensively and working with Thibs could make him even better, but the offensive upside is makes up for that in a big way IMO.

Then trade Deng for a top 5 pick to take either McLemore, Porter, Oladipo, or Bennett.

Rose-McLemore-Butler-Boozer-Aldridge has the potential to be dynamite offensively. Defensively Thibs would have his work cut out for him, but Thibs being Thibs I think he can get the team to play good enough D to be a VERY dangerous team.

Or perhaps they can amnesty Boozer to beef up the defense with Taj getting the starting PF position.

Would Kevin Love be possible next year in this scenario (Boozer amnestied)? Good lord could you imagine Rose-Mclemore-Butler-Love-Aldridge?? How would you stop that team?!

Besides my usual "stop thinking the Bulls could sign max free agents" answer, Love isn't even a free agent next year. :huh:

I hate the Bulls conservativeness as much as anyone but I'm actually fine going into next season with this core. Sign a wing, draft a big(or vice versa), stay healthy(biggest thing here) and they'll have as good a shot as anyone to win it all next year imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 12:26 AM)
I hate the Bulls conservativeness as much as anyone but I'm actually fine going into next season with this core. Sign a wing, draft a big(or vice versa), stay healthy(biggest thing here) and they'll have as good a shot as anyone to win it all next year imo.

I'm not. Not unless LeBron dies (that overpass almost took him out). The Bulls have 90's Pacers, Knicks, and Jazz written all over them.