Why Is Dan Johnson Still at Charlotte?

Lillian

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
at the same time, we already have 3 players that can play 1st, why do we need another? Im not really comfortable platooning Johnson at 3rd and maybe the outfield

One thing we don't have on the bench is a hitter. Maybe Johnson is a AAAA hitter having a career year? That's worth a spot on the bench just to find out.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
One thing we don't have on the bench is a hitter. Maybe Johnson is a AAAA hitter having a career year? That's worth a spot on the bench just to find out.

He plays first base right? He just might get called up if PK goes on the DL because of that sore wrist. Johnson either DH's or plays 1B depending on what they do with Dunn. PK to the DL is speculation on my part but that wrist sems to be bothering him and he might need some rest

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
Yes, I did indeed think that Lillibridge had earned a chance to play vs. lefties, especially since de Aza had never demonstrated an ability to hit lefties very well.

Alejandro has been terrific vs. RHP, and I'm very happy to see that lately he seems to be improving versus lefties, especially now that Lillibridge is gone.

Of course, I don't regard Johnson's stats as projectable to the Major League level. But an OBP of .467 should project to somewhere north of .350, which would

be a significant improvement over Viciedo's .300. At the same time, he still represents a power threat, which is about all Viciedo really is, at this point in his still very early career.

You can't project that way for someone like this. This isn't a prospect who is in his first try at AAA, at age 22-25, putting up those numbers. This is a 32 year old playing is EIGTH season in AAA. He's also played 399 games in the majors, he hasn't hit above .200 there in three seasons since 2007, and has only hit above .236 once, in 2005. Trying to take his AAA stats and project them is just meaningless at this point.

Johnson is insurance on Konerko and Dunn, as he should be.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
NSS, Balta and myself disagree

thank you sir.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
You can't project that way for someone like this. This isn't a prospect who is in his first try at AAA, at age 22-25, putting up those numbers. This is a 32 year old playing is EIGTH season in AAA. He's also played 399 games in the majors, he hasn't hit above .200 there in three seasons since 2007, and has only hit above .236 once, in 2005. Trying to take his AAA stats and project them is just meaningless at this point.

Why keep Hudson over Johnson?

They're going to have to upgrade the SP if they want to win this thing and Viciedo would be a candidate to go. Let's see what Johnson can do in the meantime to give the lineup some added depth.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)

thank you sir.

And thank you sir.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)

They're going to have to upgrade the SP if they want to win this thing and Viciedo would be a candidate to go. Let's see what Johnson can do in the meantime to give the lineup some added depth.

I'd be fine with changing Johnson and Hudson out. I'd like the power bat off of the bench, and plugged into very specific opportunities where he has the best chances to succeed.

Playing every day? God no.

I agree with Marty on this one. What good is Hudson at this point? He can't hit. He can't play a good defensive 3B to backup Youk. Escobar is a better option at backing up both 2B and 3B. Escobar and Danks are better options as pinch runners off the bench. Why not make the pinch hitter upgrade to Johnson over Hudson? This bench really lacks a bat off the bench. Maybe Johnson can be that guy this year, maybe not. We won't know unless we try. But there is one thing we know for sure, Hudson is not that guy.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)

I can see that argument, if you are keeping Escobar on the team (which I think they are). Escobar can field all three skill positions on the infield well, and Danks can play any OF position, so you are pretty well covered. Johnson plays 1B, can DH obviously, and probably cover 3B or corner OF in a pinch. I'd be fine with him over Hudson.

But your second graf there makes no sense to me. You want to trade Viciedo for SP, and have Johnson start? See my earlier post, Johnson is not a major league starter, not to mention Viciedo is just starting to come into his own, is already better and would be a lot better, and is cheap going forward.

I actually think Jackson makes more sense as a reserve. I really think we need a right-handed bat off the bench and he can play all the corners in a pinch. In fact, he would have been a perfect fill-in for Dunn last night. I don't like Flowers being our only option from the right side.

I don't see a need for both Escobar & ODog. I'm not a huge Escobar fan, but he offers more flexibility defensively (SS & OF) and offensively (switch hitter). I think ODog's days here are numbered, especially if Youkilis looks healthy these next few weeks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
But your second graf there makes no sense to me. You want to trade Viciedo for SP, and have Johnson start? See my earlier post, Johnson is not a major league starter, not to mention Viciedo is just starting to come into his own, is already better and would be a lot better, and is cheap going forward.

SP needs a legit upgrade to become a World Series contender. Johnson may be able to be part of a decent replacement platoon.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
SP needs a legit upgrade to become a World Series contender. Johnson may be able to be part of a decent replacement platoon.

Considering what we would have to give up, John Danks is way more than anything we could trade for. With both Danks and Humber out, we aren't making a move for a SP unless they are both out for a very long time.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)

Don't disagree here, but hoping that upgrade is a healthy Danks and a head-removed-from-sphincter Gavin. Still, a stopgap will likely be needed (due to Sale/Q innings limits), but nothing that should require the launching of DV - unless of course the acquisition is a cost controlled long term stud and not a 1 1/2 year rental ala EJax.

Rightly or wrongly, though, I think KW loves DV and trading him ain't happenin'.

Also wouldn't mind looking at Johnson either, due to extreme redundancy of Hudson/Escobar, if both remain on the 25 man. Wouldn't expect too much from him, however.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
I actually think Jackson makes more sense as a reserve. I really think we need a right-handed bat off the bench and he can play all the corners in a pinch. In fact, he would have been a perfect fill-in for Dunn last night. I don't like Flowers being our only option from the right side.

I don't see a need for both Escobar & ODog. I'm not a huge Escobar fan, but he offers more flexibility defensively (SS & OF) and offensively (switch hitter). I think ODog's days here are numbered, especially if Youkilis looks healthy these next few weeks.

ODog is a switch hitter too, just saying.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 02:51 AM)
Of the starters that may be available Greinke's the only one I'd deal Viciedo for.

Even for only 3 months?

Wouldn't that then give you an excuse to fire KW, for losing both Hudson and Viciedo for rentals?

Then what? Bring back Carlos Quentin at $12 million for one season, and give up better prospects to get him back?

Once again, there's ZERO CHANCE IN HADES Greinke will commit to a long-term extension and forgo free agency. That ship isn't going to sail. With Ozzie as manager, that might have been one of his only positive influences, getting Freddy Garcia to agree to stay longer term after the 2004 trade.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Even for only 3 months?

Wouldn't that then give you an excuse to fire KW, for losing both Hudson and Viciedo for rentals?

Then what? Bring back Carlos Quentin at $12 million for one season, and give up better prospects to get him back?

Once again, there's ZERO CHANCE IN HADES Greinke will commit to a long-term extension and forgo free agency. That ship isn't going to sail. With Ozzie as manager, that might have been one of his only positive influences, getting Freddy Garcia to agree to stay longer term after the 2004 trade.

How do you know that? Just because he doesnt want to extend with a team like the Brewers who arent in a position to contend for a few seasons doesnt mean he wont extend elsewhere. Greinke isnt really the free agency diva

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
How do you know that? Just because he doesnt want to extend with a team like the Brewers who arent in a position to contend for a few seasons doesnt mean he wont extend elsewhere. Greinke isnt really the free agency diva

With his mental health issues, he strikes me as the exact opposite. I think he would take less to stay somewhere that he was happy.

3. Zack Greinke, whose Milwaukee Brewers have drifted six games under .500 and sit behind three teams in the NL Central. Greinke has done his part: a team-leading eight wins, 2.81 ERA, 99 strikeouts and just 21 walks over 96 innings. Brewers reliever Jose Veras has issued 22 free passes in 32 innings and closer John Axford 18 in 28⅓.

Like Hamels, Greinke discussed a contract extension before the season. At this point, though, the chances of a deal are about nil. With 18 starts until free agency, why would he accept what's sure to be a below-market offer? No player who values free agency, which Greinke undoubtedly does, would even listen.

GM Doug Melvin is in a unique position. He could set the market with Greinke, like he did trading for CC Sabathia the first week of July 2008. Or he could wait, let it breathe, and cause teams who need that extra push to clamor with a deadline approaching. It's what makes this time of year so fascinating, and it colors the unique case of …

I linked the whole article in the next to last post over at the Youk thread.

Now, it's just one writer, it's not proof, obviously.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/arti...98&c_id=mil

FWIW, his agent now is Casey Close, not Boras.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
3. Zack Greinke, whose Milwaukee Brewers have drifted six games under .500 and sit behind three teams in the NL Central. Greinke has done his part: a team-leading eight wins, 2.81 ERA, 99 strikeouts and just 21 walks over 96 innings. Brewers reliever Jose Veras has issued 22 free passes in 32 innings and closer John Axford 18 in 28⅓.

Like Hamels, Greinke discussed a contract extension before the season. At this point, though, the chances of a deal are about nil. With 18 starts until free agency, why would he accept what's sure to be a below-market offer? No player who values free agency, which Greinke undoubtedly does, would even listen.

GM Doug Melvin is in a unique position. He could set the market with Greinke, like he did trading for CC Sabathia the first week of July 2008. Or he could wait, let it breathe, and cause teams who need that extra push to clamor with a deadline approaching. It's what makes this time of year so fascinating, and it colors the unique case of …

I linked the whole article in the next to last post over at the Youk thread.

Now, it's just one writer, it's not proof, obviously.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/arti...98&c_id=mil

FWIW, his agent now is Casey Close, not Boras.

That is pure 100% speculation. There is nothing of substance there.

So why would anyone's speculation be better than someone who is paid to do it for a living and has sources throughout the game?

It's an educated guess, that's all.

I lived in Kansas City and followed Greinke from the very beginning, was there when he had his breakdown/social anxiety diagnosis, when he famously remarked about walking away from the game because he'd prefer to be out mowing lawns in So Cal with his headphones on. Does that mean I know more than someone who lives in Chicago or have some unique insight?

Just don't see him agreeing on an extension. Garcia was a rare exception.

More importantly, with the Danks situation, and even Dunn struggling again...those huge long-term contracts for pitchers just don't look so attractive. Too many teams have been burned by them. How long until the Marlins are dumping Buehrle for 50-75 cents on the dollar?

You can make the argument we're finally seeing a "fair" ROI on the Peavy deal, but it hasn't been until Year 4.

And we still won't have anything to show for it when he's gone.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
So why would anyone's speculation be better than someone who is paid to do it for a living and has sources throughout the game?

It's an educated guess, that's all.

I lived in Kansas City and followed Greinke from the very beginning, was there when he had his breakdown/social anxiety diagnosis, when he famously remarked about walking away from the game because he'd prefer to be out mowing lawns in So Cal with his headphones on. Does that mean I know more than someone who lives in Chicago or have some unique insight?

Just don't see him agreeing on an extension. Garcia was a rare exception.

More importantly, with the Danks situation, and even Dunn struggling again...those huge long-term contracts for pitchers just don't look so attractive. Too many teams have been burned by them. How long until the Marlins are dumping Buehrle for 50-75 cents on the dollar?

You can make the argument we're finally seeing a "fair" ROI on the Peavy deal, but it hasn't been until Year 4.

And we still won't have anything to show for it when he's gone.

Which screams to me he'd rather be somewhere he is happy, versus somewhere that pays him the most money. I am guessing if he won't extend up there, he doesn't like it there.