Why Is Dan Johnson Still at Charlotte?

Lillian

I love Viciedo, and I'm very excited about what he might become. However, if the Sox are really trying to make it to the Post Season this year, why isn't Dan Johnson a better fit for this team, for the rest of this season? Viciedo is still very young, and still learning. He has not learned to take pitches well enough to maintain a respectable OBP. He has never put up the kinds of numbers that Johnson is putting up against RHP. Johnson has been a monster vs. righties.

This team could still benefit tremendously from better balance in the lineup. Youklis adds yet another right handed bat, but Dunn has begun to revert back to his inability to do much more than hit the long ball. His strike outs are still far too high to make him the consistent left handed bat that this lineup could use. A. J. has had a great first half, but his power numbers are likely to come back to his historical level. Johnson could provide another solid left handed bat vs. righties, and he provides both power and OBP.

At least for this season, Johnson would seem to be a better option in LF than Viciedo. The OBP at the bottom of the current order consisting of Viciedo, Ramirez and Beckham is just dreadful. I'd go with something like this vs. RHP:

CF de Aza

3B Youklis

1B Konerko

DH Dunn

RF Rios

LF Johnson

SS Ramirez

C A. J.

2B Beckham

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
I love Viciedo, and I'm very excited about what he might become. However, if the Sox are really trying to make it to the Post Season this year, why isn't Dan Johnson a better fit for this team, for the rest of this season? Viciedo is still very young, and still learning. He has not learned to take pitches well enough to maintain a respectable OBP. He has never put up the kinds of numbers that Johnson is putting up against RHP. Johnson has been a monster vs. righties.

This team could still benefit tremendously from better balance in the lineup. Youklis adds yet another right handed bat, but Dunn has begun to revert back to his inability to do much more than hit the long ball. His strike outs are still far too high to make him the consistent left handed bat that this lineup could use. A. J. has had a great first half, but his power numbers are likely to come back to his historical level. Johnson could provide another solid left handed bat vs. righties, and he provides both power and OBP.

At least for this season, Johnson would seem to be a better option in LF than Viciedo. The OBP at the bottom of the current order consisting of Viciedo, Ramirez and Beckham is just dreadful. I'd go with something like this vs. RHP:

CF de Aza

3B Youklis

1B Konerko

DH Dunn

RF Rios

LF Johnson

SS Ramirez

C A. J.

2B Beckham

In AAA. The end.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
How is that...how can...really?

his last 3 seasons at the major league level have been

.236/.349/.768

.198/.343/.757

.119/.187/.389

And this is skipping his equally miserable 2008 where he only got 11 at bats.

Definition of a AAAA player. Im sticking with Dayan

Who would you send down? Viciedo or Escobar? Or a pitcher? Or Adam Dunn? Can't send Dunn to minors, you would have to cut him (won't happen) or put him on the DL for 15 days. Escobar is back up SS, 2B, 3B, etc. Many think Viciedo has big time future with Sox. The way Dunn is (not) hitting, not a bad idea.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
Lillian seems to have an affinity for scrubs. First Dallas McPherson and now Dan Johnson? No thank you.

I was trying to figure out which good starter Lillian would want benched now that De Aza is awesome and the Elf is gone.

I knew that I would get torched for this thread, but then I remember tauting de Aza before, and more than anyone on this board.

How did that work out?

I said that I love Viciedo, but Johnson is probably a better hitter at this point in their careers.

Viciedo has 4 doubles and 13 homers in the first half, and his OBP is just .300. That is easy production to replace. He's only 23, and has plenty of time to develop.

Have any of you even looked at Johnson's split stats this year? Here are some points for starters.

Versus RHP he has 50 walks and only 30 SO.

His OBP is .467.

His OPS is .1,122

He's hit for more power on the road than at home, so the argument that he's playing in a "band box" doesn't hold water.

I know that he struggled the last couple years in the Majors, but he was recovering from a broken wrist.

Right now he is performing at a level far to high to ignore.

As far as Connor Jackson is concerned; Yes, I do think that he can still rejuvenate his career. Valley Fever is a devastating illness, and completely explains how his production dropped so dramatically. Remember, he was very highly tauted, and put up very good numbers in his first 3 MLB seasons, at a young age. And he is not too old to regain his former hitting prowess.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
I knew that I would get torched for this thread, but then I remember tauting de Aza before, and more than anyone on this board.

How did that work out?

I said that I love Viciedo, but Johnson is probably a better hitter at this point in their careers.

Viciedo has 4 doubles and 13 homers in the first half, and his OBP is just .300. That is easy production to replace. He's only 23, and has plenty of time to develop.

Have any of you even looked at Johnson's split stats this year? Here are some points for starters.

His OBP is .467.

His OPS is .1,122

He's hit for more power on the road than at home, so the argument that he's playing in a "band box" doesn't hold water.

I know that he struggled the last couple years in the Majors, but he was recovering from a broken wrist.

As far as Connor Jackson is concerned; Yes, I do think that he can still rejuvenate his career. Valley Fever is a devastating illness, and completely explains how his production dropped so dramatically. Remember, he was very highly tauted, and put up very good numbers in his first 3 MLB seasons, at a young age. And he is not too old to regain his former hitting prowess.

But then you wanted De Aza platooning with Lilli.

And Viciedo is a vastly superior hitter to Dan Johnson at this point in their careers.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)

How did that work out?

His OBP is .467.

His OPS is .1,122

Dan Johnson is putting up those numbers at AAA, not on a ML team somewhere. Johnson is playing in AAA for the 8th year now. Plus a year in Japan. He last stops in major league parks have been disasters, someone posted them earlier. He is a classic 4A player. The guy hasn't cleared .200 at the major league level since 2007. Plus he is 32 years old now. He is past his prime, so I don't get the expectation that he would be better at the major league level than he has been for five years now. He has been putting up great numbers at AAA and in Japan for years now, but that hasn't translated to any sort of success a the major league level for years now.

I'd have no problem if they called Johnson up as a back up in the OF and IF, but to replace Dayan Viciedo? No way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Dan Johnson is putting up those numbers at AAA, not on a ML team somewhere. Johnson is playing in AAA for the 8th year now. Plus a year in Japan. He last stops in major league parks have been disasters, someone posted them earlier. He is a classic 4A player. The guy hasn't cleared .200 at the major league level since 2007. Plus he is 32 years old now. He is past his prime, so I don't get the expectation that he would be better at the major league level than he has been for five years now. He has been putting up great numbers at AAA and in Japan for years now, but that hasn't translated to any sort of success a the major league level for years now.

I'd have no problem if they called Johnson up as a back up in the OF and IF, but to replace Dayan Viciedo? No way.

Fine as a backup, but not to replace Viciedo is what he is exactly.

I'd understand an argument to bring him up, but the argument for replacing Viciedo is not logical.

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
But then you wanted De Aza platooning with Lilli.

And Viciedo is a vastly superior hitter to Dan Johnson at this point in their careers.

Yes, I did indeed think that Lillibridge had earned a chance to play vs. lefties, especially since de Aza had never demonstrated an ability to hit lefties very well.

Alejandro has been terrific vs. RHP, and I'm very happy to see that lately he seems to be improving versus lefties, especially now that Lillibridge is gone.

Of course, I don't regard Johnson's stats as projectable to the Major League level. But an OBP of .467 should project to somewhere north of .350, which would

be a significant improvement over Viciedo's .300. At the same time, he still represents a power threat, which is about all Viciedo really is, at this point in his still very early career.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)

How did that work out?

His OBP is .467.

His OPS is .1,122

NSS, Balta and myself disagree

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
How many backup 2b's do you need?

at the same time, we already have 3 players that can play 1st, why do we need another? Im not really comfortable platooning Johnson at 3rd and maybe the outfield