THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

Quin

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
Trade Youk back to Boston for Lester, lol.

Exercising the option on Youk and bringing back AJ are looking more and more likely....as for Peavy, the numbers just don't make sense.

And quite ironic that Middlebrooks is now out and they might have to play Lillibridge there.

OK - Peavy might just feel like the Sox are the best team for him because they successfully helped him back from a major injury that really had no precedent in baseball. He's owed about $22M next year, but if the Sox feel he's healthy, they could buy him out of next year's contract for $4M, and negotiate a competitive 3 or 4 year deal with him. If the market is $15M/year for a guy his age, they could offer him $14.5M/year + the buyout, and he'd still be ahead.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
OK - Peavy might just feel like the Sox are the best team for him because they successfully helped him back from a major injury that really had no precedent in baseball. He's owed about $22M next year, but if the Sox feel he's healthy, they could buy him out of next year's contract for $4M, and negotiate a competitive 3 or 4 year deal with him. If the market is $15M/year for a guy his age, they could offer him $14.5M/year + the buyout, and he'd still be ahead.

Well, maybe.

If they let Floyd go, they would be saving $9.5 million next year.

But there's the probability they'll have to pay AJ $7-8.5 million (there will be no better catcher on the market, despite his age) and they very well might want to keep Youk around.

All depends on the insurance on the Danks deal, too.

They might be better served putting that money into Sale for a long-term deal that buys out a couple of years of FA. Many here will argue they have to go year to year with Sale because of the injury concerns...but can you risk losing one of the 2-3 best young pitchers in all of baseball to keep Jake Peavy around?

Lots of interesting questions to debate.

4 months ago, you would have said that Molina would be lining himself for that Peavy spot, but right now it's Quintana/Axelrod/Castro.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
Finally at .500 at home, right? About time.

The best season for a hard core baseball fan is when you think you have no hope in April and come July you are very much alive.

599258_3948381420679_555250645_n.jpg

Texas and NYY have a little wiggle room at the halfway mark - but the number of teams in the hunt is staggering.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
Was at the game. The energy was incredible. Youk...okay, he was a steal from Boston.

Was there as well and agree. Very good crowd tonight and were into the game throughout. Youk is quickly becoming a fan favorite.

The main goal is to get the heck out of here," Youkilis said. "That was way too hot of a game, we got a day game (Thursday) — it's time to go home. That's always my approach. Easier said than done, but it was great and fun.

"I'm having a great time with this team. It's always a lot more fun when you do stuff like that, so hopefully we can continue and have a tough game (Thursday), and we've got to finish out the series."

"I was a little jumpy on the slider and out in front of it," Youkilis said. "I saw it good, and the last time I told myself to stay back a little bit as much as I can. If there's a fastball, throw the hands in as quickly as I can.

"So that happened, I got the pitch (a fastball) and I was very fortunate to get it over Elvis' head."

Youkilis charged to make a barehanded throw to retire Andrus to start the fifth, and he made a diving, backhanded stop across the third-base line to retire Adrian Beltre to end the inning.

"I don't have the greatest arm or have the fastest (feet), but if you get your feet under you, get yourself in the right spots, you make good plays," Youkilis said.

In two games at U.S. Cellular Field, Youkilis has delighted Sox fans with a 5-for-10, five-RBI effort. Since joining the White Sox from the Red Sox on June 25, he is batting .305 with nine RBIs.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

"For me you try to describe to people the importance of Youk coming over. That at-bat really describes it the best, he is 0-2, he is grinding and it's just continuous and that is the kind of stuff is infectious throughout the lineup for us, just grinding out at-bats," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. "It's good for everybody to see that. We have a lot of young guys. It's good for them to see it, but it shows just how good of a player he is."

In his first two games in Chicago, Youkilis is becoming as popular as he was in Boston.

"I'm having a great time with this team," Youkilis said. "It's always a lot more fun when you do stuff like that."

Youkilis was 3 for 6 with a home run and four RBIs in Tuesday's win.

" I had a little rut baseball-wise and statistically and a funk and hopefully this will be a thing where I can keep going forward and playing better ball," Youkilis said.

www.dallasnews.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 08:25 PM)
That should cover about everybody, plus Mr. Double, Rios.

Axelrod deserves some credit too. After all he is our 7th starter. His 2 starts have been against the Yankees and Rangers and the Sox have won both of them. He's kept the Sox in the games while mixing up his pitches.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 01:24 AM)
Axelrod deserves some credit too. After all he is our 7th starter. His 2 starts have been against the Yankees and Rangers and the Sox have won both of them. He's kept the Sox in the games while mixing up his pitches.

He started one other game earlier in the season I think (along with Eric Stults), but the point is well-taken.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
Was there as well and agree. Very good crowd tonight and were into the game throughout. Youk is quickly becoming a fan favorite.

Youk will give you 200% - his body does break down but he could help win the division for you.

Valentine wanted him gone and that is not playing well here.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:24 AM)

The fact he gave us into the sixth after as bad of a start as he had is nice. We don't really have a true long man in the pen right now, so that helps. And honestly with as lively as USCF is playing right now, there isn't a lot of shame in giving up four runs to Texas, as the Sox #7 starter.