Curiosity - Mars Science Laboratory

Balta1701

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
So I saw a mars sunrise pic but it was in color. I thought all the pics were black and white? Was that one fake? I don't know where I found it anymore...get off my lawn.

Was it the one with Marvin the Martian? Because that one is fake.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
and three hours from now youll end up on the wiki article for iphone having no idea how you got there.

Hate those stupid wiki sessions where you just keep clicking and clicking and end up on something that isn't even close to what you started with.

Fun fact: If you click the first the wiki-link in each article (outside of the parentheses) you end up at Philosophy eventually.

For example, this just worked with "Mass Effect" "Mars" "Chimichanga" and "Chicago White Sox"

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
This is all very intriguing to me now, thanks for the info shirtless Tim Tebow. From what I've read this thing is not going very far correct? Just millimeters at a time right?

Well, technically everything moves only "Millimeters" at a time, even your car. The rated driving distance per day is about 200 meters (660 feet) per day (couple of football fields). For comparison, the farthest that the Opportunity rover drove in an entire week was 478 meters, so we're about a factor of 5 faster. This rover has software that is capable of recognizing and avoiding hazards while driving, and it's possible that they might be able increase that driving distance as the software gets better.

Perhaps more interesting...it's not necessarily going up to the whole peak, but Mount Sharp, the mountain this rover will be climbing, goes up to 18000 feet.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
So I saw a mars sunrise pic but it was in color. I thought all the pics were black and white? Was that one fake? I don't know where I found it anymore...get off my lawn.

I looked and have not seen a "Sunrise" pick.

There is the first color panorama out today though.

292936_10151000062667965_282099598_n.jpg

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
I looked and have not seen a "Sunrise" pick.

There is the first color panorama out today though.

292936_10151000062667965_282099598_n.jpg

The martian sunrise pic I saw was on @patriccus twitter account, it was retweeted. Debunk if you will

If you wanted awesome pictures of Tatooine, all you had to do was watch Star Wars in Blu-Ray, you didn't have to send an erector set robot up into space to do it. George Lucas already did this, only better...because he filmed the Sand People that are eluding this rover.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 07:25 AM)
If you wanted awesome pictures of Tatooine, all you had to do was watch Star Wars in Blu-Ray, you didn't have to send an erector set robot up into space to do it. George Lucas already did this, only better...because he filmed the Sand People that are eluding this rover.

It really doesn't look a whole lot different than most people's backyards in my neighborhood :)

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
How far off are we from putting Humans on Mars?

There was someone from NASA on Attack of the show...He said it's always been "30 years away" and apparently still is. I guess China is much closer to it than the US and have made "great strides" towards it. He says he thinks we need to make it a joint opp with China to make it happen.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
There was someone from NASA on Attack of the show...He said it's always been "30 years away" and apparently still is. I guess China is much closer to it than the US and have made "great strides" towards it. He says he thinks we need to make it a joint opp with China to make it happen.

China is not "Much closer to Mars" than the U.S.

They could get ahead of the US eventually, if the U.S. continues to cut back on its space exploration budget and they expand theirs. However, that's no where close to true now.

We may need a joint Opp to do it, but that's only because the U.S. is gutting its space exploration budgets.