Curiosity - Mars Science Laboratory

Balta1701

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
Damn you LPL for not including a scalebar and forcing me to do math.

That image covers about a kilometer in width, if I've read LPL's scale bar correctly. So everything's a few hundred meters apart.

Oh wow. I didn't read up too much on this, but it sounded like they would be further apart. That's not far at all.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
Oh wow. I didn't read up too much on this, but it sounded like they would be further apart. That's not far at all.

The skycrane wasn't going to fall that far away, it was right above the rover when it cut loose, and it just needed to get a little to the side. I am kinda surprised the others are so close, but remember how thin Mars's atmosphere is...there's no stron air current to deflect anything, the heat shield came down on a line at 1000 kph and the chute/shell came down at 200 kph, so not a lot of chance to change direction.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the point of this, I've always wondered.

The overarching goal of the Mars program is to understand whether Mars once hosted life. The fact that Mars had liquid water on its surface for a substantial time (established beyond any reasonable doubt by the last 2 rovers) shows that you have the most important ingredient, liquid water, in abundance.

This mission is effectively an organic chemistry laboratory. It landed in a place with evidence for both the presence of water and changes in the amount/composition of the water over time. Looking at the rocks here will hopefully answer questions about how much water there was, how long it was there, and what kind of interactions it had with the rocks.

If the goal is to understand Mars's potential for life, it's in a very good spot. The next step following this, if it ever happens, is hopefully sample return...which has been a goal for the Mars program for decades. The sample you want to bring back is the one that holds the evidence of life, if it was there, and thus you need to have some idea of what rock to go to if you want to find that evidence. MSL should hopefully tell us that.

Either way, its going to rewrite everything we know about the martian surface other than "There once was liquid water".

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
Those are creepy as hell.

It's all fake. This is actually a remote desert location in New Mexico. I see no red planet.

Edit: And science agrees with me! http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/hea...4c85_story.html

(I don't really believe this btw).

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Two things:

1) Sad it's not in color.

2) Should have attached seeds to it, plant near water. LET IT PLANT LIFE TO BUILD OXYGEN.

There will be plenty of color images.

If you could find liquid water to plant next to...you'd be quite famous. You'd also have totally overturned thermodynamics.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
There will be plenty of color images.

If you could find liquid water to plant next to...you'd be quite famous. You'd also have totally overturned thermodynamics.

Ok, I need a rocket, some pop-tarts, and a battery powered heater.

(The whole plant seeds thing was quite facetious. I know they want to find out if it can support life, most likely so they could terraform it)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Ok, I need a rocket, some pop-tarts, and a battery powered heater.

(The whole plant seeds thing was quite facetious. I know they want to find out if it can support life, most likely so they could terraform it)

You would need to increase the atmospheric pressure substantially. The surface cannot currently support life. At some point in the past, Mars had a denser atmosphere.

There is a possibilit of supporting life underground, but deep into the rocks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
You would need to increase the atmospheric pressure substantially. The surface cannot currently support life. At some point in the past, Mars had a denser atmosphere.

There is a possibilit of supporting life underground, but deep into the rocks.

Stop using geological knowledge to crush my dreams.

I'm currently in Wiki-freefall because I looked up Terraforming...then Terraforming of Mars...then Colonization of Mars.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Stop using geological knowledge to crush my dreams.

I'm currently in Wiki-freefall because I looked up Terraforming...then Terraforming of Mars...then Colonization of Mars.

and three hours from now youll end up on the wiki article for iphone having no idea how you got there.

Hate those stupid wiki sessions where you just keep clicking and clicking and end up on something that isn't even close to what you started with.

Did any of you hear the quote from Sheila Jackson Lee regarding thr landing? Since the control center is in her district they apparently often have her there during important things. She asked them if it was landing near where our astronauts planted the American flag...........