Another shooting

GoodAsGould

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
And I don't want to hear about how someone in the temple should have been packing to return fire.

I wonder if this is the start of a ton of these murder incidents? Anywhere we go we're at risk of getting killed pretty much. I guess a ton of sickos or violent people with agendas don't care about spending the rest of their lives in jail or dead. Is this pretty much the start of the end of society? You could be anywhere? Arlington Park? A Sox game? Cub game? Church? Mall? And you could be killed.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
I wonder if this is the start of a ton of these murder incidents? Anywhere we go we're at risk of getting killed pretty much. I guess a ton of sickos or violent people with agendas don't care about spending the rest of their lives in jail or dead. Is this pretty much the start of the end of society? You could be anywhere? Arlington Park? A Sox game? Cub game? Church? Mall? And you could be killed.

You can die in a car wreck every time you drive, cant live afraid.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)

While that's true, when you see these attacks you can't help but wonder where the next one will be. I mean I ride the "L" all the time and there is so little security on there that anyone whack job could do some real bad damage.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
While that's true, when you see these attacks you can't help but wonder where the next one will be. I mean I ride the "L" all the time and there is so little security on there that anyone whack job could do some real bad damage.

I ride the el all the time, I go to crowded places all the time. Ive been more concerned about the el derailing than a random act of violence.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)

Come on. One is an accident, one is not. Enough of these happen, people will start living afraid, and rightly so.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)

Yeah, I went to 5 p.m. Mass today, place was packed. Couldn't help but think how anybody with some guns or teargas and a baseball bat could do a lot of damage.

I think we are at the stage people need to be more alert at their surroundings wherever they go. Of course, if you saw something suspicious and tried to stop somebody from killing people, you'd probably be arrested if your suspicisions were wrong and the guy had no gun.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)
Sikhs aren't even Muslim (unless you are stupid), which I'm betting the gunmen assumed.

I'll reply by saying that I'm not going to even guess about the cause/motive of the shooter, because whatever guess one makes is likely to be wrong.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
And I don't want to hear about how someone in the temple should have been packing to return fire.

Would you rather hear about more gun laws that would have prevented this law breaking criminal from doing this, then?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
Would you rather hear about more gun laws that would have prevented this law breaking criminal from doing this, then?

Without knowing any details about the weapons, that's not a step one can reasonably take yet either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
I'll reply by saying that I'm not going to even guess about the cause/motive of the shooter, because whatever guess one makes is likely to be wrong.

The cause motive was he/she/it was a douchenozzle bag of dicks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
Without knowing any details about the weapons, that's not a step one can reasonably take yet either.

I was actually saying that in jest, it wasn't meant to be taken literally or seriously. Whenever a persons response to a situation like this either of the following: 1) "We need more gun laws criminals won't follow.", or 2) "Conceal and carry could have saved all of those people!", those saying those things are to be ignored because they've added nothing to the conversation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)

Just going off my gut... seeing how many Sikhs got harassed and/or attacked after 9/11.

A sikh activist twitter page is reporting that folks in the area saw a 9/11-related tattoo on the shooter, who was a white middle-aged male. Muslims in the area believe that Sikhs were not the intended target.

I would think the media coverage of this incident will not be as great as the Colorado massacre. These things usually happen with a great amount of time between the first incident and second. These came so close together.... Because of that fact, this should get even more coverage, but the shock value isn't here because of the recent Colorado tragedy.

Do all you TV folks agree with this?

I think if we have one more incident like this in the next couple weeks, Obama is going to have to have an all-out assault on this type of crime. Our country is in serious jeopardy, folks. These incidents are starting to occur with great frequency, signaling a huge problem with society and values of people today.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
I would think the media coverage of this incident will not be as great as the Colorado massacre. These things usually happen with a great amount of time between the first incident and second. These came so close together.... Because of that fact, this should get even more coverage, but the shock value isn't here because of the recent Colorado tragedy.

Do all you TV folks agree with this?

I think if we have one more incident like this in the next couple weeks, Obama is going to have to have an all-out assault on this type of crime. Our country is in serious jeopardy, folks. These incidents are starting to occur with great frequency, signaling a huge problem with society and values of people today.

No, but the media coverage part is right.

Poor Mother Teresa didn't get nearly the sendoff she deserved because of Lady Di, but Diana's life was filled with so much tragedy and ended so early in life that it was an impossible story for the paparazzi to resist, whereas Mother Teresa was already quite old.

A lot of it has to do with the news cycle...if another story comes along which takes all the focus and attention.

In Colorado, you have/had the echoes of the past with Columbine, the "honors student gone bad" angle, the "could it have been prevented?" 2-3 days of media chatter, court appearances, juxtaposed with a cultural event that many tried to tie together, the premiere of the final movie in the Batman trilogy.

The fact that it's potentially a hate crime makes it possibly a very enticing story.

I suppose it is a valid question to ask whether our country cares if Sikhs and/or Muslims are the targets of hate crimes. I hope they care.